Notices

Maine mid-coast recommendations?

Jun 19th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Maine mid-coast recommendations?

Hi all,

My husband and I (early 30's, from Brooklyn) are taking a 5 day road trip in August along the Maine coast before a friend's wedding in Portsmouth, NH. We'll be flying into Portland, renting a car and driving to Acadia. We were thinking 3 nights in Bar Harbor, then driving back along the coast and staying 1 night somewhere between Acadia and Portland. Any suggestions for where to stay on the midcoast? We don't mind being somewhere quiet/remote for the one night. The next day we'll continue our drive to Portsmouth, maybe with a stop in Portland for lunch or dinner.

Thanks!
Jun 19th, 2013, 06:49 PM

You know, Bar Harbor really is touristy but Acadia Nat'l Pk. is very nice. All along the coast you will find special places too numerous to mention. You can check Fodors for eating places and more. Portland is nice. And we like Portsmouth as well...history is enjoyed at the Olde Strawberry Beach village and also a harbor boat tour. A special inexpensive motel is Ship Ahoy Motel just beyond Booth Bay Harbor.

Moved from Missouri three years ago and still exploring.
Jun 20th, 2013, 04:44 AM

I second Ozarksbill's suggestion for a Portsmouth harbor boat tour. You'll also want to walk around the shops and Prescott Park area opposite Strawbery Banke Historic Area. Sometimes events/music are held there.

Portland is also definitely a place for lunch and dinner. For lunch, I would recommend DuckFat. Small and very popular. BUT as much as I love Portland, if you want a Maine experience, I would have a steamed lobster lunch at Waterman's Beach near the Owl's Head Transportation Museum. It's near Rockland but officially maybe the town of Thomaston. Wear a hat and sunglasses and opt for a picnic table near the water. The hike out to Owls Head Light is short and easy so a good break from driving.

You can probably find a one night place in Brunswick. It's a college town. Check Chowhound.com for Brunswick food recommendations. Can't recommend the place my husband chose last year in Bath. Clean, moderately priced but the bathroom was too small and the porch faced west. (too hot for afternoon sitting)

Search this Thread