Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maine Lobster Shacks (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maine-lobster-shacks-803665/)

Dusty114 Aug 29th, 2009 10:03 AM

Maine Lobster Shacks

My husband and I are visiting Maine next month. We will be traveling between the New Hampshire/Maine border up to Belfast. Does anyone have recommendations for a good Lobster Shack?

elberko Aug 29th, 2009 03:05 PM

Not the area of Maine that I know, but just an FYI: they're called "Lobster Pounds"

~Liz

RetiredVermonter Aug 30th, 2009 12:44 AM

Can't suggest just one, but I think you'll see several such places to get a "lobstah"! Prices for roadside stands (or pounds) are low because the poor lobstermen are getting such low prices, but expect to still pay highrr prices in a restaurant.

cindyj Aug 30th, 2009 03:17 AM

There are both shacks and pounds. Pounds typically are larger with more seating, etc. but there's no required definition for either.

You'll find lots of great places. Try to get off Route 1 and down on the peninsula's for the best prices. Not that the prices are great, but the view is spectacular at the Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth. Perched right above the rocky shore, with Two Lights lighthouse looking on, the views can't be beat.

dfrostnh Aug 30th, 2009 01:54 PM

Cindyj is right, get off Rt 1. I usually call everything 'lobster shacks' meaning a place that may not have indoor dining and is usually on the water. Many of these rustic places are open weekends only after Labor Day and close after Columbus Day weekend due to less business, no insulation, etc. Our most favorite is Waterman's Beach near Owl's Head Light. Picnic tables in the open or a covered porch in back. I'm not even sure of the town's name (St George?) but it's near Rockland. There are several places near Brunswick such as Dolphin Marine, more of a family restaurant, and Estes; Five Islands on a different peninsula. We haven't been to the ones near Pemaquid Point in several years (near Damariscotta). You can google Maine lobster and find some general recommendations for the top ten. Also, some places are more popular for lobster rolls and others for steamed lobster. Expect a messy meal and no sides except maybe a roll and a bag of chips.

davisesq212 Aug 30th, 2009 06:12 PM

I am in Maine right now on vacation and saw this post so I thought I would add my advice. I have tried several 'lobster' places so far and my favorite is Red's Eats in Waisscosset (sp?). If you go, try the Whoopie Pie by Cranberry Kitchen and of course the Lobster Roll. It is a simple hotdog roll and very fresh lobster with the condiments on the side (as it should be). I also tried Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster in the Freeport area. I had a Lobster Roll and Chowder and was not bowled over at all. It was my least favorite. I also had a lobster roll and chowderr in Barnacle Billy's in Ogonquit. It was very good. My mom said the blueberry pie was the best she ever had. I then had a 1/2 pint of whole fried clams in The Clam Shack in Kennebunkport and it was so-so. Not as great as everyone raved. The batter overwhelmed the clams. I had a lobster (mom had the roll) at The Lobster Factory in Portland and we loved both dishes. Also ate there on my last few trips. I even had a lobster roll and chowder in my hotel (Marriott in South Portland). I couldn't believe it but it was the best roll and chowder so far on this most recent trip next to Reds. It was really amazing. I almost had dinner tonight at J's, a local institution on the Pier in downtown Portland but I waited an hour (I am not exaggerating) and 3 tables were given away to peopole who walked in after me. When I mentioned that to the hostess, I was snarled at and given a snippy response. I will never go back there even though I will admit, the food is good.

cindyj Aug 31st, 2009 02:46 AM

Wow! You ate a lot of lobster rolls and chowder! FYI - in a local news show poll, Billy's choweder house in Wells won best chowder in the state. J's Oyster House is an institution, kind of like Durgin Park in Boston. I'm not surprised about the service but that is disappointing none the less. There are so many choices in the Old Port I never get there. Next time head out to the Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth!

Kwoo Aug 31st, 2009 08:20 AM

I also recommend the Dolphin Marina near Brunswick (one of the islands - Harpswell, etc. connected by a small causeway) or any of the Estes (I, II, III)on Orr's, Bailey's or Harpswell Islands.

I think there is another one in or near Brunswick, think the name is Cook's.

If you are going to Bar Harbor, I recommend Thurston's Lobster Pound.

yestravel Aug 31st, 2009 09:46 AM

I 2 love the lobster Rolls at Reds -- I know it gets lots of bad press, but year after year we go back and always think it is the best. As mentioned 5 islands in Georgeton is good and on the way there, the General store on the right side of the road has some really good lobster rolls as does Kelly's a trailer on the left side of the road. this year they wre both a coupl dollar less then Reds, but not as much lobetr meat. Waterman's in S. thomston is also exceptional and they have pie to die for. Happy eating

aussiedreamer Sep 6th, 2009 01:29 PM

Yum Yum saving for october, cindyj, our first stop is Wells, thanks for the info. :-)

Michael58 Sep 6th, 2009 01:48 PM

Nunan's Lobster Hut in Cape Porpoise is a "no-frills" place with great lobsters and steamers. Simple menu, friendly service, sometimes a wait during summer months. Comfortable picnic style tables in a long barn like building,nicer than I'm making it seem. We've been going for over 15 years, cash or personal check only. Very enjoyable.