Maine in 2-3 days

Jul 14th, 1999, 02:33 PM
Slogle

Maine in 2-3 days

Any suggestions on how to spend three days in Maine in late September. Arriving Manchester, NH 9/23 and have a couple of days before checking into a timeshare near Lake Winnispesaukee on 9/25. We have one night booked in Boothbay Harbor, ME on the 24th. Want to take some time to see some of the lighthouses and towns on the way. Would it be too much to do to also go to Bar Harbor and see Acadia National Park?

Jul 14th, 1999, 05:12 PM
Donna

I think you be spending too much time in the car. While Acadia is very nice, so are lots of other places in ME which are closer. Get out and walk on the beach, take a cliff walk, just watch the boats. Find a good place for lobster. Check out www.newengland.com , Yankee Magazine's site for New England happenings and suggested driving tours. Take your time between Manchester and Boothby...Portsmouth NH is a wonderful, historic city, nice for exploring and also has some nice cruises. Have a fun trip.

Jul 14th, 1999, 05:12 PM
Donna

I think you be spending too much time in the car. While Acadia is very nice, so are lots of other places in ME which are closer. Get out and walk on the beach, take a cliff walk, just watch the boats. Find a good place for lobster. Check out www.newengland.com , Yankee Magazine's site for New England happenings and suggested driving tours. Take your time between Manchester and Boothby...Portsmouth NH is a wonderful, historic city, nice for exploring and also has some nice cruises. Have a fun trip.

Jul 14th, 1999, 06:12 PM
Donna

I'd recommend spending both nights in Boothbay Harbor. One of the free brochures you'll find all over has a list of the lighthouses and driving directions. The ones in that area are absolutely beautiful and well worth the ride. Do a search, there are also several websites with photos. Highly recommend Owl's Head (Rockland), Pemaquid Point, and the Portland Headlight. Do visit East Boothbay. The sunsets from the dining room at Ocean Point are glorious. And, if there's live music at Fisherman's Wharf, this is a fabulous spot. While at Lake Winnipesaukee, you may want to consider a dinner cruise (or afternoon) on the Mount Washington - great fun. Be sure to check out a restaurant called Love's Quay in Wolfeboro (a not to be missed town to visit).

Jul 15th, 1999, 06:29 AM
Beth

I agree with both Donnas, that Acadia's probably a little far with so little time. I don't have a map in front of me so I'm not sure of the distance, but you might go to Mount Battie state park which is just north of Camden. You'll get a bit of the same flavor as Acadia, the mountains next to the sea. There are some really nice short hikes in the park and great views, if weather permits.

Jul 15th, 1999, 03:57 PM
slogle

Thanks for all the replies to my post. we probably will take your suggestions and spend two nights in Boothbay. We actually do have three full days--we arrive 9/22 instead of 9/23 as I originally posted, but we probably would be spending too much time in the car. Maybe save Acadia for another trip. Have booked a room at Brown's Wharf Inn, but would prefer a B&B with an ocean or harbor view. Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Jul 15th, 1999, 04:23 PM
lisa

I didn't think Boothbay Harbor was worth spending 3 days in, but that's just me. Camden is really special and isn't that far if I remember correctly. But Bar Harbor is not to be missed. I actually think you could do it, but I'm obviously in the minority here. It definitely depends on whether you mind spending so much time in the car. I don't remember the distances as being that far.

Jul 16th, 1999, 09:29 AM
Debra

I just go back from Boothbay Harbor. Even though it is a nice place for a day, I wouldn't spend 3 days there. We stayed at Sprucepoint Inn which is on the water but not downtown but on a point. The rooms are set up like cabins with kitchens in some. I would stay there again and I'm picky. If you do stay in Boothbay more than a day, take the ferry to Monhegan Island. It is a pretty ride out and the island has beautiful scenic views when hiking around it. I don't think driving to Bar Harbor and going to Acadia would be too long of a drive myself. You could take your time visiting the towns as you go up and looking at the coastline. But if not, I agree that Camden is nice and Mt. Battie will probably give you a good taste of the rocky coast as Acadia does. Have fun!

Jul 16th, 1999, 09:38 AM
slogle

Our tentative plan so far is first night 9/22 in Portsmouth, NH. We can tour that city later as it'll only be about 60 or so miles from our timeshare. Thought we would drive up the coast 9/23. It's 225 miles (4 hrs.) to Bar Harbor from Portsmouth. I'm thinking we would miss a lot along the coast if we drove all the way to Bar Harbor. BoothBay is about 100 miles (2 hrs). Thought we might spend two nights there, but use it as a base and drive further up the coast to see Rockland, Camden, etc. Don't want to put too much pressure on my husband as he's coming kicking and screaming on this trip ("who wants to see the leaves fall?"). I know he'll love it, but don't want to start out on the wrong foot.