Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maine coast during July 4th (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maine-coast-during-july-4th-146569/)

Sheila Jan 24th, 2002 08:12 AM

Maine coast during July 4th

The company where my husband works scheduled all of his vacation this year - July 4, Thanksgiving and Christmas except the week we are taking to New Orleans in March. We would like to go somewhere in Maine along the coast for the July 4th week but I am worried the crowds will be too large during that time. Does anyone have any suggestions for the least crowded area or where the crowds would really not matter as far as fun things to see and do. We mostly want to sightsee, shop and eat seafood especially lobster. We will fly in from Memphis and rent a car from wherever we decide to stay. I was thinking maybe staying somewhere near Bar Harbor.I know this may be a hard question to answer but I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks

kc Jan 24th, 2002 08:22 AM

I have a friend who lives on Mt Desert Island and she says that July 4th is the beginning of the Maine summer season,hotels are booked full, restaurants cannot take all the requests for reservations and it is very crowded.SO, my advice would be to book everything as soon as possible,like now.Mt Desert is wonderful and since a lot of people stay in Bar Harbor and take the ferry to MtDesert, you may have better luck finding a B&B or hotel there..there are a few websites for the island, check it out, see how you like it.

Audrey Jan 24th, 2002 08:33 AM

Hi Sheila: KC is right, start booking now. There seems to be two thoughts these days: that because of September 11, people will be driving to a summer vacation (New England) thus putting even more of a strain on hotels and restaurants, etc., and that people will not be coming at all. We just booked a long weekend at The Colony in Kennebunkport for the July 4th week, and the rooms we most wanted are already not available. (But we did get in.) I would fly into Portland, ME, airport or Manchester, NH, airport if I were you, and then rent a car.

Donna F Jan 25th, 2002 04:43 AM

I would pick someplace in the Damariscotta area. It's a lot quieter and between Camden and Boothbay. Both great towns which will probably be mobbed for the 4th. However, there are at least 3 lobster places around Pemaquid Point where you can eat on the deck. Just plan you time to avoid crowds. You could make a day trip to Bar Harbor on a day that might be not as busy. The drive around the island is definitely breathtaking. Explore back roads. For example, downtown Boothbay was very crowded yet a few miles away we found an almost deserted beach. There will be plenty of places that aren't crowded. Check out Yankee Magazine's website www.newengland.com. I agree that flying into Manchester NH is a good idea. You might find a cheaper rate than Portland ME and MHT is ony about 2 hours south of Portland. You will probably want to stop in Freeport ME to shop the outlets but if you fly into MHT you can stop at Kittery ME outlets.

MHS Jan 25th, 2002 06:49 AM

Be aware that driving between MA border & ME Kittery area will be extremely extremely congested. The NH tolls produce 5 mile backups & unlike NY they don't stop collection just because there's backup. The Kittery area outlets will have huge traffic jams -- been there, done that many times since family live in Jonesport. <BR><BR>Not telling you not to go, just plan where ever you fly into try to avoid as much as possible that 3-state junction area.

Judy Jan 25th, 2002 09:43 AM

They are right about the tollbooths (I grew up in Maine). Long weekends can create 5 mile backups. if you can't make it through the toll booths before 9 am or after 8pm, just prepare for a wait, but hey the air is cool is NE. Portland airport is a great airport, and you avoid the MAJOR toll booths. boothbay is a great town, while busy during the 4th, easily manageable. Just book the rooms early. Camden would probably be about a 2 hr drive during the 4th from oothbay. Lobsterman's Co-Op, and Robinson's Wharf have great seafood (eat it right on the dock) if you do end up in Boothbay. have fun!