Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   maine (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maine-343687/)

bigbomoho Aug 1st, 2003 05:21 PM

maine

Heading to Maine(first time) for 35th anniversary.Done some homework but would like input.Staying in Kennebunkport--thinking of Cape Arundel for 2 nights.Then on to Rockland-need a spot here(2 nights).Then on to Acadia--thinking of Bar Harbor Inn.This is a big trip and we want to stay at quality places.Also any suggestions on nice eating spots and "must see" places along the coast would be very helpful.Are we being too ambitious on driving times etc.

ddee Aug 1st, 2003 05:25 PM

White Horse Tavern in Kennebunk is of great quality! Big time pampering and delicious food and attentive service. Can't help you elsewhere

BuzzyJ Aug 1st, 2003 05:40 PM

I think ddee is thinking of the White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport. The Cape Arundel is lovely too; it's on Ocean Avenue. Haven't stayed there, but have had dinner and it was excellent.

Blair9535 Aug 1st, 2003 06:52 PM

Im so thrilled to get to respond about this fabulous place to stay.....We went to Maine last year over the New Year Holiday...our first visit to the state.We had planned on staying in Rockland/Rockport at the Samoset resort.It was supposed to be great...I found it not to be.Not being happy with our accomadations,we ventured out and found ourselves in the lovely little town of Camden..about 10 minutes away.I love this town.We spent all morning looking at various b&bs(even though im not a big b&b fan)..the town is full of them.Then we found the most amazing place.Its called "A Little Dream" and though the name may sound corny it is simply put one of the nicest places I have ever stayed ..anywhere.The service is fantastic, the morning homemade muffins are phenominal, the view is super and we stayed in a suite called "Idlewatch".It was quite close to heaven and Im not really the romantic type.Perfect for an anniversary...so perfect I found myself getting engaged there.You must try it!!

bigbomoho Aug 2nd, 2003 06:12 AM

Thanks alot for taking the time to reply.Is the place in Camden near the water at all?

eastcoaster Aug 2nd, 2003 06:47 AM

We're heading to Maine late August (first time visitors) and we'll also stay at "A Little Dream" (have been searching for first-hand info; thanks for posting and congratulations!).
note to bigbomoho: I did a lot of research prior to booking our accommodations. "A Little Dream" has a website showing photos of the accommodations, etc. From my research, the inn is not on the water but close to Camden Harbor.
If interested, check out:
www.littledream.com

clarkgriswold Aug 2nd, 2003 09:48 AM

We have always enjoyed our stay at the Samoset immensely. If you're golfers, it's definitely the place!

Blair9535 Aug 2nd, 2003 10:29 AM

The Little Dream is directly across the street from the water....in fact from our suite,"Idlewatch"..where we had a covered terrace,you could see the water.Of course,we went in winter so we didnt have blockage from leaves...this suite is not part of the main house so the privacy is great....simply put the place is a dream.

bigbomoho Aug 2nd, 2003 12:38 PM

thanks again--I checked their website and it looks perfect

arriba Aug 2nd, 2003 12:46 PM

There is another great place to stay in Camden called "Norumbega"--an old stone house near town. We have not stayed there, but pass it many times while staying in Camden for the past several years. It is gorgeous and several people we know have stayed there and loved it.

LoisL Aug 2nd, 2003 01:00 PM

Yet another B&B in Camden is the Hartstone Inn. Even if you don't stay there, look into having a dinner there, though I'll bet by now they're booked for dinner. The owner/chef is amazing with his cooking. They have a site online to read about them. We were very happy with our stay there.

Blair9535 Aug 2nd, 2003 05:30 PM

Yep....Hartstone was impossible to get a reservation while we were there...Also,Noremba(sp???)is directly across the street from Little Dream.In fact, we toured it first and almost booked it but I wanted to see the one across the street.They are very different...Little Dream is a bit more "pampering" while the other is architecturally striking and unique.Cool area all the way around...

bigbomoho Aug 4th, 2003 07:57 AM

Thanks again we got into Nurumbega.Ill try Hartstsone for dinner