Madison, WI - Trip Report

Oct 1st, 2004, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Madison, WI - Trip Report

A friend and I road-tripped it from the Twin Cities to Madison, Wisconsin for a getaway weekend over Labor Day. Before I forget it, I wanted to post a short trip report for this Board.

Hotel: My friend and I like to stay at B&B's or small inns if we can find them, so we stayed at the Hotel Ruby Marie - a small old hotel - only about 16 rooms I think. The hotel went through a major revamp a short while ago where they knocked out many walls and converted smaller rooms into larger rooms. Interestingly, they left the original doors up to the rooms that no longer existed, they just painted them a different color. Our room was very nice. Every room has it's own TV & VCR and mini fridge, and there was juice, soda and water in the fridge waiting for us (complimentary). The hotel is very close to one of the lakes and within easy walking distance to the capital square (although it is all uphill to get there) and the convention center. The hotel is in the same building complex as a saloon, a casual dining restaurant, and a nice German restaurant (the Essen Haus). A FULL breakfast at the restaurant comes with the price of the hotel.

Restaurants:

Essen Haus - good German fair - you won't leave here feeling hungry.

Frida - a Mexican restaurant on State Street. Pretty darn good IMO and I would highly recommend.

Events / Places to See:

Farmers Market: Having heard much about the Madison Farmers Market on Saturday mornings, I had to go. It is a great farmers market with a lot of variety. The fridge in our room came in handy!

Veteran's Museum: This is located on the square around the Capital Building. It's a small museum, but has exhibits for each war America has fought in until the 1991 Gulf War. The Civil War exhibit is wonderful. Even though this museum is small, I think it's almost Smithsonian quality and HIGHLY recommend seeing it.

All in all, a great weekend!
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:13 AM

Glad you enjoyed one of my favorite towns. Used to live and attend school there and looking forward to a return trip one of these days. I loved the little veterans museum.

Search this Thread