First Time Driver in Florida - Please Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travelling to Florida in August for 2 weeks arriving Sanford Airport, Orlando and over our 2 weeks we would like to visit Clearwater, Naples, Miami and then back to Orlando. Really nervious about driving - are the roads easy to navigate? Any tips would be helpful. Thanks
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 03:01 AM

Unless you have to be in Florida in August I wouldn't recommend coming from your cool country in Europe to hot and humid Florida. Florida is a great place to visit but avoid it in July/August. Driving is like anywhere else although in some places we met many slow drivers. You will be surprised at all those billboards along the highways in Florida.
Kers, since you asked for any tips here is one: Avoid Florida in August.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 03:18 AM

I'd agree with the above - go a different time if you CAN, but don't worry about the roads. They're pretty easy to navigate - although obviously a good map would help a lot - especially in major cities like Clearwater & Miami. I also found some slow drivers but no big deal. In many places the traffic can be prety bad at any time of day, but no HUGE deal. However, you might want to avoid going in/out of Miami during rush hour - it was brutal when we did it, although I forget where we were that was so bad. Wherever it was, the elevated subway was running parallel to us, and I was wishing we were on it!
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 04:50 AM

The roads are easy to navigate until you get to Miami. Signage is poor, and the description on a map doesn't usually match the sign. (And this is AFTER improvements were made after all the high-profile tourist robberies in the 1990's!) I would call ahead to all of my destinations and get detailed driving intructions. That's always the best way to go anyway. There are any number of highway construction projects going on at any point in time all around the state, and detours happen. I agree with above. You don't want to be going through Miami at rush hour. The city is a parking lot then. Also, watch out what time of day you are on I-75 heading to Fort Myers and Naples. That is the only north-south highway between those cities, and it is just AWFUL when people are trying to get back and forth to work. Other than these tips, just drive defensively (constantly watching around you,) and it's like driving anywhere else. Oh, and carry LOTS of quarters with you for Orlando and Miami. The best highways are toll roads, and they are getting very pricey.

Gosh, this may sound discouraging. It's not meant to be. You'll have a great trip. Keep the A/C on High, and bring lots of water on ice, and you'll be just fine!
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 05:43 AM

Agree with the others to reschedule your trip if at all possible. florida in August is sheer hell. I have several relatives retired there (to save money and miss the worst of the winter) and many of them come back to New York to visit for the summer to avoid the worst of the heat. the ohters claim you can't be outside after 9am or before 10pm.

That said - here are a couple of highway tips., Around Orlando be very very careful - there are a huge number of 1-car accidents resulting from lost tourists not knowing where they're going. Almost everywhere in the state watch out for the oldsters - some are disoriented and many drive way too slow in the left lane forcing everyone to maneuver around them. I don't know where you're from so can't judge how you will find the traffic - to a New Yorker there really isn;t any - but that's all perspective.

Highly recommend you get a really good map for your travels (Michelin) as well as use one of the driving direction web sites to download specific dirctions through each town to your hotel.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 06:10 AM

My niece relocated from Boston, which is renowned for its bad drivers, to Florida, where she is terrified of the other drivers. They not only go slowly, they are erratic about lanes and often run stop signs and red lights. She says that Florida is where elderly Boston drivers go when the state takes away their license.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 06:38 AM

I agree with most of the above comments. I would like to add an additional warning: The Weather. In August, there is often lots of rain, and when it rains, it pours. I am talking about torrential downpours where you would not be able to see where you are going on the freeway. These rains usually happen in the late afternoon, and last for an hour or so, but when they are done, many roads a flooded for a few hours.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 06:47 AM

We have just moved to Florida and find the driving to be pretty easy. You can get from one town to another by highways easily. I guess the hardest thing to get used to is the speed limit (70) in a lot of places and everyone goes faster! and elderly drivers who do not go fast, look before they turn or backup, etc..
Have a great time, it is hot but there is a/c everywhere!
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 09:56 AM

When you are used to European roads, driving in Florida is pretty easy... a relief. We've been there in July and believe me... Florida is super!!!Even around Miami. There is a great discipline among the drivers, never saw that before. Don't be nervous, really , never saw such a courtesy on the road!
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 11:48 AM

Wih the exception of the last couple of posts, WHAT THE HELL ARE THE OTHERS TALKING ABOUT?

No more construction than anywhere else, no more traffic than anywhere else at certain hours, no less signage than anywhere else. great, smooth, 2-4 lane expressways. Nothing to worry about, Just remember, it's the other side

Timewise, you did pick the hottest month in Florida. I believe the 2 hottest months according to www.weather.com are August and September. There will be afternoon rains(downpours acually), but usually don't last very long. I would not stay VERY long in Orlando. Do the parks and get out. With no coastal breezes, it gets extremely hot. Once you hit the beaches, you'll feel a nice breeze, but still very hot overall. Be careful with the sun. It will burn you and quickly. Sun protection should be on the top of your shopping list.

You will have a great time, and driving will be the least of your worries.

And Chicago/New York in August could be just as sticky as southern Florida. I know, I've lived there before moving down to a little paradise called Siesta Key The difference is that down here it gets hot in May and it stays that way till October, sunny and 95, daily. It gets little old by September.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 01:35 PM

I do have to laugh at the arguments about avoiding Florida in August. I've lived here for 30 years now, but as a child growing up in Ohio, we came to Florida as a family every year for two weeks in August -- when my dad's vacation was -- and loved it.
I have friends who live in the UK who have condos here that they rent out during the winter season, but come here and love living on the beach from June to September. They love it because it is hot, they can enjoy the beach, and cool off in the gulf or in air-conditioning they find everywhere -- two things they can't enjoy back home when it gets just as hot and sticky!
On the other hand, after living here all that time, I really enjoy doing my traveling AWAY from Florida during those summer months. The longer I'm here, the more I dislike that heat and humidity.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 06:34 PM
adeewebstr

I live in Bradenton (south of St. Pete/Tampa), 3rd generation, and - to my way of thinking - the summer is the best. The big tourist season is October through March/April - locals know not to go out to eat and are very careful about timing drives out to our island (Anna Maria). During the summer we get less people, and those that come are younger families. First of all, go to a beach town (gulf or Atlantic beezes) and realize that we have a/c. Do out door stuff in the morning, go to the beach or nap or shop in a/c in the middle of the day, then enjoy the beach at night. We were in Germany/Switzerland/England during the heat wave last summer - much worse than FL ever is plus no airconditoning! Yes, we do have afternoon thunderstoms, but they generally only last an hour or two, they cool things down, and skiing right after a storm is usually very smooth - the best of the day.

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 06:47 PM

AAFF is so right, NYC in August is sweltering .. I have yet to spend a summer in Florida, but I'm not scared! LOL~ I hardly think it is bad enough to change your trip plans though.

Where does it say Kers is from Europe?
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 07:01 PM

Although there are few other possibilities, the arrival airport gives it away. 7 UK based charter companies use that airport. A Canadian airline and couple of small budget airlines also use the airport, but combine the clues (Sanford, driving question and the time of the year) and I would put all my money that the OP is coming from the other side. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last time.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 07:08 PM

Clever!
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 05:53 AM

One more voice to add that Florida is doable in August. Heck, if you want to experience a swelltering hell just try visiting any major northeastern city during that time! Here's a little hint for those who are afraid of Florida in the summer: rental cars, hotels, restaurants, and shops all have this new thing called AIR CONDITIONING. The beach, unfortunately, does not have A/C, but then again, it does have this thing called THE OCEAN. Unless Kers is coming to work as a roofer or paver for two weeks, I think the heat won't ruin the trip.

I worked at Disney one summer, and remember all the European tourists. Despite the heat, most of them seemed to be enjoying themselves.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 07:33 AM

I live in Florida and this advice may sound dumb and common sense, but even I get lost and end up driving bad when I am trying to read signs and get somewhere when I have no idea where I am going, especially around the tourist areas. Get a good map and look it over before you head out. Get an idea of your route. Have someone navigate for you so they can advise of upcoming exits, etc. Use your turn signal whenever possible, and then turn if off. Welcome and have fun !
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 05:56 AM
MSS

Hi,

I have to agree with Patrick. We are from Ohio and travel yearly to Florida in yes...July. I live for those balmy hot nights and what better place to be in hot weather, than the ocean. That is what most people travel to Florida for. I love dining outdoors at night where it is actually dry and comfortably warm at night. So looking forward to being able to spend winters there. Ahhh...retirement can't come soon enough! I would much rather spend hot summers in air conditioning than long winters in snow! We have always found driving to be very eawy in Florida (other than in the heavy rains).
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 06:00 AM
MSS

Correction: Should have previewed - Driving to be very easy (sp).
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 06:56 AM

Florida in August is fine. As AAFrequentFlyer said it, there will be afternoon downpours but they won't last more than half an hour.
Most FLorida main roads are 2-lane (if not more) well signed divided highways. And Miami has one the best road signage in the state.
On your way from Naples to Miami or viceversa gas up before you hit the road. It's a 2 1/2 hour stretch with just one gas station available but it's a very scenic drive.
You may want to add Tampa to your itinerary, you'll love Bush Gardens.
One more advise, buy a Florida road map, I personally like RandyMcNally.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -