Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Macy's Thanksgiving Parade (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/macys-thanksgiving-parade-449585/)

gyppielou Nov 3rd, 2008 10:43 AM

Macy's Thanksgiving Parade

Two questions. We're is a good vantage point to watch the parade that isn't gridock with people?

Any thoughts on family restaurants in Manhattan doing traditional turkey dinner with nice atmosphere?

thanks for your thoughts

g

nytraveler Nov 3rd, 2008 10:52 AM

If you want a place without mobs of people you're going to have to stay pretty far uptown - 50's at least - or even further.

As for the Thanlsgiving diner - what's your budget? (Opentable.com lists a lot of places that are openon Thanksgiving - and you will need to reserve far in advance.)

RoamsAround Nov 3rd, 2008 10:59 AM

The only two places that have a "good vantage point to watch the parade that isn't gridock with people" are 1) in front of your TV and 2) from a hotel room or apartment that has a view of the parade route. Otherwise expect crowds no mattter where you go. If you do decide to watch the parade "in person" get to a spot on the parade route early for the "best vantage points".

Scroll through the archives or use the search feature - there have been several threads posted in the past two weeks on where/when to eat Thansgiving Dinner in NYC.

gyppielou Nov 3rd, 2008 11:17 AM

Thanks nyt and ra

I am searching and searching. Part of my possible travelling party are lacking in food appreciation, so all the easy answers on where to get pumpkin lobster rissotto with my farm raised organic kosher brined turkey are beyond them.

Just looking for a nice spot, nice room with approachable food. I HATE buffets, but would even take a hit for the team, and cook for my man a proper turkey day dinner another weekend.

I would think an area in Upperwest side may have a little more elbow room? Again any thoughts on particular areas that are enjoyable and movable with facilities in the area etc...

mahalo
g

RoamsAround Nov 3rd, 2008 11:30 AM

Yes, upper westside will be your best location. Set up between 61st and 72nd street. There will be crowds but not near as much as downtown. My son took our granddaughter to the pardae last year and was in that area. It worked out pretty well for them.

Have fun!!!

gyppielou Nov 3rd, 2008 11:37 AM

Thanks! sounds like a plan. thinking dinner in manhattan would be better than trying to cook in mamalou's small bronxville apt for 7 of us.

nytraveler Nov 3rd, 2008 03:58 PM

You won;t find many buffets in Manhattan - except at small ethnic places for bargain lunches.

For a real Thanksgiving dinner most places will have limited menus and set seating times.

I would have a look now at opentable.comto get an idea of options and budget, since it already shows many places fully booked.