Mackinaw city motels and restaurants

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mackinaw city motels and restaurants

We will be visiting Mackinaw just after labor day. Any recommendations for motels or good dinner restaurants? Terry
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 08:00 AM

We spent a day in Mackinaw City recently and stayed at the Hamilton Inn. It is one of the nicer looking hotels on the "strip" (for lack of a better term). It was clean, but nothing too remarkable. I believe AAA gave it 3 diamonds - I'd say that was about right or perhaps a half diamond too many.

For dining, we ate at Nonna Lisa's which was nice, but again, nothing terribly remarkable. The atmosphere was nice and the service friendly.

Upon entering the city from the UP, we asked the tollgate guard what was a good place for lunch in the city. He directed us to Darrows Family Restaurant. This was one of the worst places we dined on our trip all over Northern Michigan. While we were searching for a unique dining experience, our advisor sent us to one of the more pedestrian family restuarants around - the type grandma and grandpa like to go for a 4:00 dinner or where one can get breakfast 24 hours. Avoid.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 11:03 AM

http://www.mackinawcity.com/ is a pretty good place to compare and book rooms. When I am in town I stay with family, but I recently asked for motel recomendations in Mackinaw and heard good things about
The Chippewa Motor Lodge and The Waterfront Inn (owned by the same people) http://www.largestbeach.com/ They may not be the fanciest, but word is that they take good care of people.

I think Darrows is a good place for lunch: simple, well cooked food - say a whitefish sandwich or homemade soup or pie. They aren't a place for atmosphere, but they aren't open 24 hours and are not a "breakfast anytime" kind of place.

For a nicer dinner, try 'Neath the Birches or the Chippewa Room at Audie's.

gbhost, if you get up that way again, turn off into Carp Lake (about 5 miles south of Mackinaw) and try lunch at Goldie's Cafe http://www.goldiescafe.com/home.asp I think it is more what you were looking for.

Keith
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:33 PM

The website Keith mentioned is very informative. Best Western Dockside is nice. Go to tripadvisor.com and check reviews on hotels. There are mixed so you might take some advice with a grain of salt. Funny, we stayed at Chippawa 18 yrs ago - nice, homey place. Little did I know years later I would be fishing near there every year.

Hey Keith - how do you like Dixie Saloon? We'll be in Carp Lake for a few days and look for a change from Goldie's (but they have good food/view). We'll be trying the Birches but looking for good burgers. A friend mentioned Bob's on 31 in Pellston (is it still there?)
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 01:22 PM

I have only been in the "new" Dixie once. It wasn't bad, but didn't impress me. That was the first year after it reopened and I probably should give it another try.

I haven't had many burgers in the area in recent years, but my favorite is still at Clyde's Drive-in on US 2 just a block or so west of I-75. (There are several Clyde's in the UP) I like to pick up the food there and drive down to the new Bridge view park to picnic.

Don't order a "Big C" unless you are extremely hungry. They are 3/4 pound!

If you feel like a drive, I noticed that the Crow's Nest, just south of Cross Village, has reopened. The tiny restaurant used to have good food, including some vegetables from their own garden. The parking lot was packed when I went by.

Also a new restaurant opened this month at the Pelston Airport, though I haven't heard any reports. The new terminal is pretty cool. It looks like a lodge and has features like rocking chairs and fireplaces in the waiting area.

Keith