Mackinac Island in the Fall

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mackinac Island in the Fall

Am thinking of visiting Mackinac the last weekend in September. Is there alot to do during this time. Is the weather still somewhat nice for biking/horseback, etc.? If so any advice on where to stay at medium price?
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 11:49 AM
JJ5

I've never been, but swalter815 (a poster/Fodorite) did that trip and if you search Mackinac Fall MI you may get the thread to come up to top.

I have a home in MI and IMHO- the weather is usually beautiful but not always- and I am at least 4 hours South of Mackinac. I think her large complaint was that the owners were going to close the resort soon after her week, and she felt that the food/ goods etc. all proclaimed that fact.

It certainly would not be "in season" and the prices have to be reduced.

The entire Midwest/and especially in the Northern Peninsula and Northern Minnesota- you can generalize about the weather but in the time frame you are speaking of you may have it 80 degrees (rarely)or you could have it be 38 degrees. Or you could have them both in one day.

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 11:59 AM

I stayed at the Iriquois in late September. It was very nice. We had a waterview room which was charming. We enjoyed hiking and biking around the island. However all the shops and "tourist" events were clearly shutting down. we did get the sense that people weren't putting a lot of energy into dealing with us due to the end of season.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:19 PM

JJ5 is spot on describing the weather, "usually beautiful but not always."

The Island's season is much longer than it once was and there are more things open in the fall than in the past, but many summer shops will be closed.

Prices are much more reasonable in late September and you get to experience the island without the crowds. You might consider staying in Mackinaw City where lodging is less expensive and more things will be open, then picking the nicest day out of Saturday & Sunday to visit the island.

Keith
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:28 PM
iceeu2

When does the ferry quit running?

We are going salmon fishing the middle of October and may go over to Mackinac Island one day during the week if we can still get there.

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 01:48 PM

The ferries run regular schedules (though few trips than summer) until October 30th.

Arnold Transit maintains a limited schedule using old boats from St. Ignace until the lake freezes too solid - generally early January.

Keith