Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mackinac Island Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mackinac-island-hotels-627903/)

MSS Jul 2nd, 2006 06:30 AM

Mackinac Island Hotels

Hi, We are a 50's couple planning a short trip to Mackinac Island and we are looking for a hotel with a pool. We prefer more casual dress and not so formal on vacation, so the Grand Hotel is out. We were looking at the Murray Hotel or the Inn on Mackinac, both of which have outdoor pools. Would like to hear from someone who actually has stayed at either of these hotels for comments and/or suggestions.

travel_addict Jul 2nd, 2006 07:45 AM

Hi MSS,

I've stayed at both the Murray Hotel & the Inn on Mackinac. I don't remember the Inn on Mackinac having a pool though. The big difference between the two (besides the pool) is the location. The Murray Hotel is located in the very center of town, and depending on which side of the hotel you're on, it can be noisy until the wee hours of the morning. However, being so centrally located has its own advantages. The rooms are nice, as is the pool.

The Inn on Mackinac is a little further away from the downtown area, but it has the most beautiful porch. Every time I've stayed there, it was a real challenge to get me to leave that porch! It's a little quieter there because it's a block or two away from all the action, but it's still within close walking distance. And on your way to the center of town, you get to walk past the marina and the park & fort.

The breakfasts at both places are more than your typical sugary pastries too.

Another place I would check into is the Island House. It has a pool and a few restaurants and overlooks the marina and bay. It's slightly more formal, but still fairly casual.

Yet another option would be to stay in St. Ignace or Mackinaw City (I prefer St. Ignace) and do day trips to the island. The ferries run pretty late in the summer, and even with the $20 ferry ride, you still may save some money stay off-island. Although staying on the island is something everyone should experience at least once. Waking up to the sound of horses and seagulls is a great way to start the day.

Have fun!
Heidi

dmkujat Jul 3rd, 2006 07:43 AM

I have not stayed at the Murray, or the Inn of Mackinac, however, have stayed at both the Island House (don't remember a pool) and just recently, at the Lakeview, which has an indoor pool. I live nearby and go to the island a lot...except for the Grand, it is very casual. Casual dress, including shorts, are everywhere. I would choose the Lakeview over the Island House, as it is newer, and on the main street across from the water. The Island House is a little further down, the quieter end of the street, but also across from the water near the boat docks. You will love the island..enjoy!

MSS Jul 3rd, 2006 06:27 PM

Thanks! The Inn on Mackinac does have a spa-pool and sundeck, although it appears small, which is ok. Does this hotel have air conditioning? Husband is insisting on it.

Unfortunately, I did check out the Island House, and they are down to slim pickings on rooms at this point. The few left have no view and are small.

I am finding out that some places don't have air conditioning and some don't have in-room bathrooms. Some don't even share their amenities, which is making my search a little more difficult.

canmetcalf Jul 4th, 2006 09:30 AM

We like the Mission Point Resort. It is a little bit off the main tourist drag, so quieter at night. Great view. Small outdoor pool. Nice (expensive) restaurants. Yes to air conditioning, rooms are small as this is not a new resort. Check out the web page. I also agree that St. Ignace is a good option. Lots of reasonable priced hotels and much less touristy that Mackinaw. Still, nothing like being on the Island after the ferries stop running. It's a different feel altogether.

shutterbugKELLY Jul 10th, 2006 09:54 AM

My parents and I stayed at the Inn on Mackinac several years ago, and really enjoyed it. They have nice clean rooms, and reasonable prices. Though the following summer I reserved a room at the Harbor View Inn when my parents came up to visit me. Their posted rates for the "Garden Room" were $199/night, but I got it for $109/night instead. Here's a link to their website http://www.harbourviewinn.com/photogallery.asp
As mentioned in an earlier post, downtown can be pretty noisy at night, especially the live music,and can be pretty crowded during the day. This can make or break your stay depending on what kind of atmosphere you like.

If you get a chance, spend a couple of hours at Grand one evening. Have a drink or two, do a little dancing, and sit on the porch for a bit. Grand is one of my favorite places...I worked there a couple summers ago as their tennis pro. It's a nice way to spend an evening.

Kelly : )

shutterbugKELLY Jul 10th, 2006 10:02 AM

^ Forgot to mention that my parents enjoyed the Harbor View Inn even more than the Inn on Mackinac. Regardless of where you choose to stay, you will have a wonderful time.