Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mackinac Island Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mackinac-island-hotels-181625/)

Bonnie Mar 25th, 2002 07:40 PM

Mackinac Island Hotels

I'm considering a few days on Mackinac Island this summer. Can anyone give me detail on hotels. I've considered the Grand Hotel, but not sure I want to spend that much. Prefer to be away from the crowds. Different recommendations if I bring two preteens?<BR>Thanks!

cd Mar 26th, 2002 05:09 AM

There are a lot of nice B&B's on Mackinac. I'm sure you could do a web search if no one recommends any. Be sure to have lunch at the Grand Hotel and afterwards sit on the porch in a rocking chair for a few monents as the view is wonderful. Also, we enjoyed biking the island.

Dr. Bitterpants Mar 26th, 2002 05:20 AM

Check out the website mackinac.com. There is a good listing of hotels, b&bs, condos, etc. with links. There might be some package deals listed at this time, too.<BR><BR>We had a package deal at the Island House, the oldest hotel on the island. It's just far away enough from the downtown "fudgie" shops for you to enjoy the quiet sound at night, yet it's just a short walk to the main street docks. A pool house is there for your preteens. The package included mainland parking, ferry service, 3 nights lodging, breakfast buffet each morning and dinner for 2 nights, lunch at the Grand Hotel, tickets to the Fort. <BR><BR>Other expenses we incurred outside the package were additional night(s), lunches, bike rental, and of course FUDGE!<BR><BR>The package was affordable for us back in '98, but I've seen this same package price almost double since then. Still was about 1/2 price than staying at the Grand Hotel.<BR><BR>Please let us know where you decide to stay; I'd like to make another long weekend sometime before or after peak summer season.

Susan Mar 27th, 2002 10:06 AM

The Island House is real nice. They keep it clean and it is a little more reasonably priced.<BR><BR>You won't be disapointed. It is pretty close to all the attractions...definitely within walking distance.<BR><BR>Susan

Victoria Mar 27th, 2002 10:22 AM

The Iroquis Hotel and Lilac Tree Hotel are both quite nice. The Iroquis has superb views and nice waterfront access. Both are centrally located.

plummie Mar 27th, 2002 07:20 PM

I'd have lunch at the Grand Hotel and stay elsewhere. Most of the non-suite rooms are pretty pedestrian. The suites are great but very expensive. The foods okay but not worth the American Plan charges. Biggest plus for the Grand: wonderful porch, beautiful grounds.

Bonnie Mar 29th, 2002 09:45 PM

Thanks for the tips! The Mackinac.com website was very helpful. The Island house looks great. Is there a big difference in the room categories? Does anyone kow anything about the Bay View Inn?

Lori Mar 30th, 2002 04:13 AM

I'll vouch for the Metevier Inn. It's a block up from the bustling main street so it's a bit quieter at night. It has a great front porch for watching the world go by, and I enjoyed eating breakfast out on the porch. They have a wonderful breakfast and a nice assortment of rooms. I actually live very close to the Island so we normally make day trips out of it, but the Metivier was magical.<BR><BR>The Metivier has menus from all of the restaurants and bars in the common room so you can browse through them and choose where you'd like to eat. Again, I'll make a reccommendation - Woods restaurant is so cosy and warm. It's run by The Grand Hotel, but it's out of the downtown area near a golf course. We just loved it. Also, if you want to sample the Grand Hotel, they serve a luncheon buffet for $45 (that was the price last year anyhow) that will get you admitted for free so you can have a look-see. If you aren't staying at the Grand they charge you a $10 fee to enter their grounds. Really! They actually have someone posted who will stop you and ask if you're a guest. I guess a lot of people are willing to pay this to get up on the world's longest porch.

Tinar Apr 1st, 2002 06:25 AM

Bonnie-our favorite B&B is the Haans 1830 Inn-they have regular rooms and wonderful suites.We are planning to stay the the week of the Lilac Festival.You should enjoy the property and the location is close to town-you can walk anywhere.

Michelle Apr 1st, 2002 07:13 AM

Bonnie,<BR>We stayed at the Iroquois w/2 kids. Beautiful large rooms, less pricey than the Grand. Right on the water. Rent bikes and circle the island (8 miles). Walking distance to most everything. Isn't the BayView in Petoskey? I remember passing it on the way thru to Mackinac. Beautiful area! No humidity, very pleasant! Travel even further into the U.P. and go to the Pictured Rock National Lakeshore in Munising! AWESOME!

mrse Apr 1st, 2002 09:17 AM

Stayed at the Grand last June during the Lilac Festival. The food was great, as was the staff and the hotel. It was a fun experience. If you have never stayed at the Grand, you should do so at least once. It was sublime.

gab Apr 1st, 2002 10:24 AM

My choice would be the Iriquois.

nospam Apr 3rd, 2002 11:46 AM

also look at Mission Point, it's away from the downtown fudge and t shirt shops, beautiful location. Check out their website.

Susan May 16th, 2002 04:51 AM

I highly recommend Mission Point Resort. Its casual elegance and the kids will love it! They have many activities to do at the resort, without walking the 5 blocks to the center of town, so you are away from the crowds and right on the water. Definitely worth the money!

Susan May 17th, 2002 08:43 AM

The Island House is affordable!

Cathy May 17th, 2002 09:10 AM

I love Mission Point. My favorite place to stay. Away from the hustle and bustle of main street in town. They offer some great packages. <BR>One suggestion when you are in Mackinaw, tour the fort and have lunch there. Beautiful views of the lake.