LV to S.Utah to S.Rim Grand Canyon

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

LV to S.Utah to S.Rim Grand Canyon

We're planning a trip with three fmilies to meet in Las Vegas then see Zion, Bryce, Glen Canyon/Lake Powell and the S.Rim. We'd like to stop at the Hoover Dam, too. Is it reasonable to see all of the above in 5-6 nights? We'll have an additional 1-2 nights at each end for our Vegas visit/flight arrangements. (Total 9-10 nights). Also, if we make a cirle, does it matter time wise or scenery wise which way we travel...that is, LV to Zion first or LV to S.Rim first? Any info would be appreciated, including places to stay at all destinations. There does seem to be availability everywhere right now. Kids range in age from 8 to 14.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:18 PM

It really doesn't matter which way you do the loop. You might want to decide to you want the longest drive at the beginning or the end of the trip.

From Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon will be your longest drive at 280 miles. You might want to do it first and get it done with. Spend two nights at the Grand Canyon.

From GC to Page is ony 137 miles. If you have time I would recommend either taking a boat tour to Rainbow Bridge or renting a boat(s) to go there on your own. Spend one nite here.

From Page to Bryce is 155 miles and if any trip router says it's shorter then they have you taking Cottonwood Canyon road and it is a dirt road and not recommended if you want to make time traveling. Make sure you stay on Hwy 89 until you get to Hwy 12. Spend one night here.

Bryce to Zion is 86 miles. I bet you kids would love to rent intertubes in Springdale, Utah and go tubing down the Virgin River. Our boys did at all ages. Spend one or two nights in Zion.

Zion to Las Vegas is 163 miles.

Yep, it can be done with 6 nights of course more time is always better.

We camp so I can't help with lodging.

Utahtea

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Utahtea: You're my only response, so far, so I'm still looking for hotel reccommendtions, but thak you for the info. The mileages are great...any ideas on actual drive times? You seem to know the area!
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 02:01 PM

As a possible alternative I would suggest going to the North Rim instead of the South. We did the LV-Zion-Bryce-GC trip last year but had 14 days and the time to also do the South Rim, Sedona and LV. We enjoyed the North Rim so much more than the South - Because it is more remote, and is less crowded by far; the views are just magnificent and you won't have to look over the head of somebody standing in front of you to see them.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 02:07 PM

Hello Gtrgrl - we did this route about
a year ago (search this site for "honeycutt"). You can read my posts, but basically we skipped the south entrance to the GC, and entered through the eastern entrance. This allowed us to also see Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater, and Wupatki ruins. We had so much fun last year, we did a similar trip again this year.

One of my favorite parts of the trip was staying at Cameron Trading Post.

Let me know if I can answer any questions (though Utahtea is the expert in my opinion).

Mike Honeycutt
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys (and gals). The suggestion on the North Rim vs. the South is one we're considering, but will it really save much driving time? Also, it's the first time most of the travelers are seeing the Grand Canyon...will they miss anything by not visiting the South Rim?
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:52 PM

gtrgrl,

You will save 145 miles of driving. You also have to factor in that some of these roads are slower driving than to the S. Rim. so you might not save 3 hours.

You will miss out seeing Lake Powell which you will see on the S. Rim route.

You will also be doing a lot of double backing on the same roads going to the N. Rim vs the S. Rim.

Utahtea

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

We don't want to miss the Lake Powell part of the trip...as a matter of fact, we're considering spending 2 nights there and only 1 at the Grand Canyon, either North or South Rim. Which Rim (and route) will be our best bet to get all of the above in?
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 07:44 PM

I ran the two different trips on my trip maker program.

Las Vegas, S. Rim, Page, Bryce (via Kanab) & Zion is 820 miles.

Las Vegas, N. Rim, Page, Bryce (via Kanab) & Zion is 788 miles.

It is 32 miles shorter to the N. Rim but don't let that fool you. The roads are a lot slower and going to the N. Rim will probably take you 3 hours longer.

I prefer the S. Rim but it does get more croweded. We were there in Oct. and there were no crowds at all. This year we are going in August so I will see how bad the crowds really do get.

I mentioned via Kanab because some routing trip makers take you thought Cottonwood Canyon Road which is a VERY slow going dirt road that isn't really much of a short cut when it comes to travel time.

Utahtea
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:19 AM

Since you will be going to mainly national parks would suggest you purchase a National Parks Pass. Costs $50. Good for a calendar year from date of purchase. Gets your car load of folks in at any park charging admission fee. Does not cover tours etc. Otherwise you will have $20 entrance fees at each Grand Canyon and Zion and believe $10 at Bryce. You can get it at your first stop or order it on the web at www.nps.gov. Had a friend stop recently at Hoover Dam, just wanted a photo. They charged him the $10 tour fee just to park. The "hard hat" tour which takes you off the "beaten path" has been stopped due to security levels.
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the info. Following is our anticipated itinerary. Any ideas on actual drive times would be appreciated (esp. from utahtea!)

Las Vegas 1 night hotel TBD

S. Rim 1 night Holiday Inn Express

S. Rim 1 night Cameron Trading Post
(E. exit)

Lk Powell 2 nights Wahweap Lodge

Bryce 1 night Cabin (in park)

Zion 2 nights Desert Pearl

Las Vegas 2 nights Hotel TBD

How's it sound?

Old May 6th, 2003, 04:56 PM

Looks Good!

Las Vegas to S. Rim is 280 miles & 5 hrs. driving time.

S. Rim to Cameron is 55 miles & 1 hr driving but there are so many scenic view points to stop at you can spend almost half the day doing this route.

Cameron to Wahweap is 85 miles and about 2 hrs driving.

Wahweap to Bryce via Kanab, Utah is 150 miles and about 3 1/2 hrs driving time. There is a shorter route by taking Cottonwood road but this is a very slow driving dirt road and I would NOT recommend it.

Bryce to Zion is 75 miles to the East Entrance Station and another 11 miles to the Zion Visitor Center. 2 hours for just driving time. There will be places to stop and explore before going though the Zion Tunnel and driving the switchbacks down to the valley.

Zion to Las Vegas is 165 miles and about 3 hrs driving time.

I agree with Photo dog, you should get a National Park Pass when you get to the Grand Canyon.

Utahtea
Old May 13th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

utahtea: Once again, many thanks. One more question...when making our boat trip reservation at Lake Powell to see the Rainbow Bridge, what time of day do you recommend? We need to pre-book the exact time of the trip and don't know if first thing in the day (due to heat in July) is best or perhaps mid-day which ends at 8 or 8:30 p.m. might be worthwhile for the sunset.