Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   luxury Naples resort (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/luxury-naples-resort-601185/)

SeaPuff Mar 21st, 2006 11:22 AM

luxury Naples resort

I'm trying to plan a weekend family getaway for my dad's birthday in the Naples area. Could anyone suggest a high-end/luxury beach resort in Naples itself or on Marco Island or even Sanibel Island? Beach and water sports are very important as well as good restaurants.
Many thanks!

Gekko Mar 21st, 2006 11:30 AM

Doesn't get much more luxurious than a Ritz-Carlton resort:

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/resorts/naples/

lisettemac Mar 21st, 2006 12:03 PM

Click on my name and you will see my recent trip report regarding the Ritz in Naples. I thought it was great.

Neopolitan Mar 21st, 2006 02:03 PM

For high end luxury you won't beat the Ritz, but if you seek a little less "fuss" and a smaller more laid back but still very luxurious place, you might look at the Edgewater Beach Resort, more in "downtown" Naples right on the beach. It's also Naples' only all suite resort.

SeaPuff Apr 4th, 2006 04:03 PM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The Ritz is absolutely beautiful! I did, however, end up booking instead at the Naples Grande, which also looks quite luxurious, and am very much looking forward to our visit in May. By chance, does anyone have a favorite restaurant in the Naples area? I've got a reservation at Campiello's already but need to take care of the rest of the weekend. Many thanks for your help!

Neopolitan Apr 4th, 2006 04:12 PM

Well, you've already booked my FAVORITE restaurant. On Fifth Avenue South is Bar Lurcat -- more formal upstairs, more casual downstairs. It's run with the same expertise as Campiello by the same ownership, but quite different in style and cuisine. If you're looking for upscale, it might be my second choice.

Pazzo or Chops on Fifth Avenue South are also very good, a little more "trendy".

Truluck's is probably the best for high end seafood, but very pricey. Also on Fifth.

Sadly the restaurants at Naples Grande, some of which used to be wonderful, are no longer considered up to par. With the new ownership of the resort, we'll hope that changes. Although if you're looking for an abundant and really good Sunday brunch buffet -- you could certainly do that "in house".

If you don't want to travel so far, Bayside at the near by Venetian Village is a nice spot with beautiful bay views from its upstairs dining room with nice food.

Annabel Apr 4th, 2006 05:56 PM

I had a hard time deciding between the Riza or La Playa. They are on the same block and I did originally have reservatis at the Ritz, but changed to La Playa. I am so glad I did. LaPlaya is a small boutique hotel DIRECTLY on the beach, the Ritz is not. The service is excellent, the grounds beautiful. We loved our stay there. There are different accommodations to choose from and all are wonderful. They do have beach front suites which are literally steps from the water, just amazing. We stayed in a Jr suite which had a huge jacuzzi tub and a beachfront balcony...the sunset view was just amazing. There is also the which has a stop there so it will take you into town. There was just something very personal and intimate LaPlaya. It is not a mega resort it is smaller which makes it very special. They have special touches like a teddy bear on the bed and every night at turn down service a different and beautiful shell is left on your pillow every night. Also the dining there is teriffic (just like anyplace on the gulf) but the restaurant was just wonderful. Indoor/outdoor upscale dining, seperate poolside cafe and I loved the ringing of the bell at sunset ceremony. The food was excellent and prepared any way you wish. I would highly recommend LaPlaya.

DianeC Apr 7th, 2006 01:47 PM

Hi, we stayed at the Regatta resort in Naples & it is just opposite the Ritz & a really beautiful resort & not very busy when we went in December. The beach is only a 200 yard walk down the road & the condos luxurious. We found ours on www.vrbo.com & were very pleased. It is also handy for shops , theatre & shopping malls.

Neopolitan Apr 7th, 2006 07:49 PM

The Regatta is a condominium complex, well off the beach (as you mention) and you can walk down the street to get to a beach, but it does not have any real beach resort facilities. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but it is NOT a "high-end luxury beach resort" which is what SeaPuff asked for.

allison_h Apr 8th, 2006 09:03 AM

We also stayed at the LaPlaya just after Christmas and loved it--Very classy, but not overdone. The beach was GREAT, the pools beautiful, and the service superb.