Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Luxury Florida Beach Vacation in late September ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/luxury-florida-beach-vacation-in-late-september-796401/)

kos Jul 19th, 2009 10:39 AM

Luxury Florida Beach Vacation in late September ?

We are a couple in our 50s living in Los Angeles, and looking for a luxury beach vacation in Florida in late Sept. There are so many beaches and resorts that it is confusing.

First, what are the key differences between a Gulf vacation and an Atlantic vacation?

Second, by mid-Sept. will the heat and humidity have lessened? We spent a week in Miami about 10 years ago in July, and it was too hot and humid to be outdoors for more than a very short time.

Some of the areas we are considering are Boca Raton/Palm Beach, Naples, Marco Island, Sarasota. Would appreciate if anyone could comment on some of the nicer resorts in these areas. Or if there is a location and resort elsewhere in Florida that would meet our needs, please make a suggestion.

We just want to have a relaxing, casual vacation without kids (after many years of taking them along).

Thanks for your ideas.

nlg Jul 19th, 2009 12:34 PM

We love Marco Island-the Marriott is nice there. It will still be very hot mid-Sept. I think the Gulf beaches are prettier than the Atlantic side, but the Atlantic has much bigger waves. Marco Island is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. We haven't stayed at any of the resorts-we go with friends who have a condo there. October and November would be a little cooler.

LN Jul 19th, 2009 02:49 PM

Many resorts along the gulf coast prefer to rent by the week. If you would like - try Turtle Bay Resort on Longboat Key - I cannot guarantee what they charge but they are right on the water and they do have one and two bedroom units.

stumpworks73 Jul 19th, 2009 04:39 PM

I would second nlg's recomendation of Marco. Marco is the anti-Los Angeles. Boca and Palm Beach both have the Miami metro area population and traffic to combat. The gulf side has flatter beaches, calmer and warmer water. The Atlantic has more surf, clearer water, and sandier beaches. Naples is an easy drive to Naples to increase your restaurant selection. Marco has a few restaurants a short drive away to minimize car time once you are at the resort.

suite7 Jul 19th, 2009 04:45 PM

have to disagree with last reply...Palm Beach 90 miles north of miami. Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach is pure luxury. Beautiful beach club, spa, exec golf course right next to ocean, right in palm beach which is beautiful, quiet and safe. HOWEVER...very hot and humid in september. also could be hurricanes on either coast. registry and ritz carlton on west coast (naples) pretty luxurious too.

kos Jul 20th, 2009 08:53 AM

Thanks for all the good advice. Does anyone know anything about the Boca Raton Beach Resort?

MomDDTravel Jul 20th, 2009 09:04 AM

Breakers is amazing...

My Dad and Stepmom have stayed at the Boca Raton Beach resort a few times and they like high end properties. (Four Seasons/Ritz)

AAFrequentFlyer Jul 20th, 2009 09:22 AM

The Ritz-Carlton in Naples covers all your needs.

Luxury, beautiful beach, great small town with wonderful restaurants, art galleries, great shopping.

It will still be very warm in September but hopefully not as humid as it is down here in Jun-Jul-Aug.

OTOH, September could be at the peak of the hurricane season. This year it has been non-existent yet although the season started on June 1, but we are almost guaranteed at least couple of major storms making a land fall somewhere in Florida before the season ends on Dec 1.

The good news is that there will be ample warning and fairly accurate predictions where the storm may hit, so it's not like your earthqaukes which come unannounced.

The bad news is that if it does come at the wrong time and it's headed where you are staying, you as a tourist may be required to evacute. Residents have a choice, visitors don't.

Cranachin Jul 20th, 2009 10:23 AM

Don't know how you define luxury and exactly what you are looking for, but you might consider northwest Florida for that time of year.

Here is how temperature compares between Destin and Palm Beach, for example (from accuweather.com):

Destin (9/1) <> Palm Beach (9/1)

Nml High: 90°F <> Nml High: 90°F
Nml Low: 69°F <> Nml Low: 75°F
Nml Avg: 80°F <> Nml Avg: 83°F

Destin (9/30) <> Palm Beach (9/30)

Nml High: 85°F <> Nml High: 87°F
Nml Low: 60°F <> Nml Low: 74°F
Nml Avg: 73°F <> Nml Avg: 80°F

Some places you might consider include WaterColor in Santa Rosa Beach, Sandestin in Destin, and Seaside.

The overall culture is very different from south Florida, which you might or might not like. Again, depends on your expectations.

duetchkey Jul 24th, 2009 02:59 PM

I would suggest the Palm Bay Club Resort on Siesta Key. It is just south of Sarasota. The sand is pure white and the club has units on the gulf which is called bayside and the ocean. The ocean side is a high rise right on the beach but we prefer the gulf side because it has a great pool and hot tub, fisihing pier and is very quiet. Either way you can walk from one end of the resort to the other in 15 minutes. Check out the Palm Bay Club website in Siesta Key...you won't be disappointed...there a great pix of the rooms so you can pick one you like. We like 319 bayside.

Good luck

starrs Aug 18th, 2009 02:32 PM

Take a look at the Four Seasons Palm Beach, the Breakers, or move north to the Ritz Carlton Amelia Island.

puffinx Aug 18th, 2009 03:35 PM

live in Florida and the west coast could be a little buggy in September although I agree with 'AA Frequent Flyer' the Ritz in Naples is a very nice choice.

Breakers in Palm Beach: a legendary place and close to the most exclusive shopping. Palm Beach is nice. Since you will be flying to Miami you may also want to check out the Ritz in South Miami Beach, many 5 star hotels and beaches are lovely, plenty to do. You can always drive to Palm Beach (90 miles) for a day. I would not consider Marco Island 'luxury' by any stretch of imagination. Amelia may be nice but the water is not as blue and as inviting as it is in the S. Florida. In fact, as much as I love you to come I must be honest with you. September is not one of the best months to visit Florida. In S. Florida, November is much better. I think.

Sunshinesue Aug 18th, 2009 04:06 PM

The only place you will find slightly cooler, less humid temps in September is in north Florida. I highly recommend the Watercolor Inn. It is located between Destin and Panama City in the panhandle. http://www.watercolorresort.com/
It has a fabulous spa and restaurant and is located in the middle of several charming beach communities including Seaside http://seasidefl.com/

If you prefer the Atlantic, check out Amelia Island.

puffinx Aug 18th, 2009 06:06 PM

Kos,
So sorry, I’ve overlooked that you were in Miami 10 years ago. In any event, I still think if you could wait until the end of October, early November, you'd may be better off. It is still a rainy-stormy season. Plus it is very hot and very humid. If you'll have a car, you could try both the east and the west coast. (Palm Beach and Naples or Siesta Key). On the West Coast, you could also visit Sanibel Island.
From Palm Beach you could take a drive to Juno Beach - very nice swimming beach. North of Juno Beach is Jupiter Island which is very lovely (and luxurious) but there are no hotels. (Stop at the Blowing Rock Park). And, all these places are truly very different.

bkluvsNola Aug 26th, 2009 06:03 PM

If you are truly concerned about the climate, then the Panhandle (Destin, etc...) area is the only place to go. However, you'll find better 5 star resorts in South Florida.

The advantage is that you'll get off season rates all over Florida. In South Florida, the tourist season has yet to begin and in North Florida, the tourist season has already ended by late September.