Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Luxor, Mirage or TI - which is best for teens (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/luxor-mirage-or-ti-which-is-best-for-teens-719570/)

myos Jul 10th, 2007 12:22 AM

Luxor, Mirage or TI - which is best for teens

We (DH, self, 2 teen boys 17 and 15) will be in Vegas on Aug 16 and 17(a friday night). Husband wants to be on the strip to gamble, the kids and I are going to shop and rest from the first part of our trip. We are probably going to see Blue Man Group (or possibly Cique du Soleil for the $50 tickets posted here). The best rate I've found for all 3 hotels is around $380 total for both nights at all 3 hotels. Am leaning towards Luxor because it is hopefully on a quieter part of the strip and one of the kids likes the idea of the inclinator. The other hotels have better ratings though. Anyone have any suggestions?

doug_stallings Jul 10th, 2007 06:07 AM

Mandalay Bay is actually the best for teens because it has the best pool area but is probably way more expensive than these places.

Of these three, I'd say that Mirage would be best, then TI, with Luxor pulling up the rear. But Luxor is usually significantly cheaper than the others and has fast-food outlets that aren't so outrageously expensive right in the hotel as well as a good (and relatively inexpensive) buffet, especially for breakfast/lunch. I think you'll find that the Mirage has the nicer rooms of these three. It's not exactly quiet on the Luxor end of the Strip, but it's much easier to get around nowadays.

cincinnatideb Jul 10th, 2007 07:31 AM

I have to agree w/Doug. My choice would be Mirage, TI and Luxor last. It felt very blah to me...no energy or vibe to it. The inclinator was a major disappointment.

Did you check prices at Excalibur? I know it seems hokey but I've had great luck with teens there. There's a McDonalds and Krispy Kreme shop right in the hotel. There's a buffet that's very family friendly and there's a small midway section thats kind of teenage-ish rather than kiddish like at Circus Circus. I also find the location to be really handy as far as walking distance or cheap taxi rides etc.

We loved the Blue Man Group. We even managed to get cheap seats that were in the front row where we had to wear rain ponchos. Too much fun!

Enjoy your trip. You'll have fun no matter where you stay. I've found Vegas and teens to be a sure hit every time.

paula1470 Jul 10th, 2007 07:39 AM

Well she said the price was the same for all three hotels. If that's the case, I would take the Mirage. Haven't stayed at the Excalibur in a long time but it's so big and not easy to get around. Unless they have done a renovation recently, I think the rooms are getting old.

trippinkpj Jul 10th, 2007 07:54 AM

Of those three I would also take the mirage. Nice room, and great pool area! Also the location is a very good spot on the strip.