Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lupa - NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lupa-nyc-779967/)

wondering Apr 19th, 2009 11:10 AM

Lupa - NYC

Wondering if anyone has been to Lupa lately? Went to Babbo years ago and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. With the economy in the tank, Babbo is not an option. Would Lupa suffice? Thanks in advance.

wondering Apr 19th, 2009 05:21 PM

ttt

wondering Apr 20th, 2009 05:54 AM

one last try!

Katie_H Apr 20th, 2009 07:59 AM

Hi wondering-- I'm a big fan of Lupa--it's definitely a more casual experience but I find that I enjoy the food just as much. I also like that the music seems to be quieter (though I wouldn't describe Lupa as being overall a quiet place.) I've eaten at Babbo twice and both times the music was very loud rock--the last meal an entire Led Zeppelin album played throughout our meal.

Lupa is usually packed too--try to get a reservation or go at off hours.

Be sure to order a plate of one of their house-made cured meats. The bucatini is great. If you like sardines, be sure to order them too. This is the kind of place where you really want to share items with your dinner date so that you have a chance to try a little bit of everything.

If you go, let us know what you think!

Lesli Apr 20th, 2009 10:48 AM

You will find lots of recent feedback on the Manhattan board at Chowhound: http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/18

Probably plenty on Yelp, as well.

Reservations can be challenging.

jroth Apr 20th, 2009 12:58 PM

I also would recommend Lupa. But I am amazed to hear that Babbo is playing rock music for background - an album of Led Zeppelin -- yet! Can't they just stick to good jazz and keep it low volume? If I had been there I would have had a short meeting with the Maitre'D about that music.

wondering Apr 20th, 2009 04:19 PM

Thanks for the replies, tipS and link! I think we may go mid-day as they stay open continuously. (so the website says)

NeoPatrick Apr 20th, 2009 04:42 PM

You can normally book on Open Table just a day before going -- especially if you choose noon rather than 1 PM or later.

Don't throw things at me, but I think overall I like Lupa better than Babbo. They are like night and day in terms of atmosphere, but I love my food every time at Lupa -- have eaten there a number of times. Simple, but great. Sure, you're crowded in, it's noisy, it's much more casual, but totally unpretentious and it's ALL about the food itself -- nothing more. I really like it.

Katie_H Apr 21st, 2009 07:33 AM

jroth--We ended one meal with the start of a KISS album. I'm not kidding! And it was extremely loud. My BF and I are huge music fans--it just seemed out of place. I was hoping for a more romantic setting. I think this is one of Babbo's quirks though that you either find endearing or you don't. I imagine it's also total luck as to what they decide to play. I've mentioned our experience to others and they say they don't remember the music being loud.

Anyway, love Lupa. There are a lot of other great Italian restaurants in that price range too--I've seen some recent topics if you want to do a search.

Aduchamp1 Apr 21st, 2009 07:50 AM

Maybe Mario was serving Robert Egg-Plant listed on the Jimmy Menu Page.

PamSF Apr 21st, 2009 10:07 AM

We are headed to NYC and plan to dine @ Lupa. I may be in the tiny minority of folks but was underwhelmed by Babbo. However, I am from the SF Bay region and immensely spoiled in terms of food. We both felt the food was good but very very pricey for what it was.

jroth Apr 21st, 2009 11:37 AM

Katie - One of my pet restaurant peeves is inappropriate music for dining. If you like rock - fine - go to a rock concert. I don't need that noise (thump, thump) while I dine. I believe it is young, inexperienced "managers" who put that sort of music on. OK - maybe in a loud, noisy - "today" place where people are there to hear that stuff and don't mind shouting at each other. But in a restaurant with some pretension to a better dining experience you just don't do that to your clientele.

bfrac Apr 21st, 2009 11:52 AM

Aduchamp1 :-D

wondering Apr 26th, 2009 11:53 AM

Got to Lupa for a late lunch this week and it was very good. Had bucatini (really good) and a nice glass of wine. Was eying the sardines at next table. Nice waiter, too. Next time i will go with more people so I can try more!! Will definitely return! Thanks all. ps I have no memory of loud music at Babbo when we went a few years ago. I think the beef cheek ravioli had me overwhelmed.

NeoPatrick Apr 26th, 2009 01:20 PM

wondering, I cannot go to Lupa without getting the Bucatini all'Amatriciana. It's my favorite dish in Rome, and is as good or better at Lupa as anywhere I've had it in Rome (which is a lot of places!). Whether I do it as a main course, a first course, or have to share it (GRRRR, don't take my share), it's just part of the routine.

wondering Aug 2nd, 2010 11:42 AM

Thought I had posted this. Guess it is never too late. I went to Lupa and Bucantini all'Amatriciana was fabulous. I ate alone about 3 in the afternoon with a fab glass of wine. It was wonderful...