Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Lunch stop between Savannah and Gatlinburg - Spartanburg, SC?

Lunch stop between Savannah and Gatlinburg - Spartanburg, SC?

Dec 29th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Lunch stop between Savannah and Gatlinburg - Spartanburg, SC?

Hi, I am driving from Savannah, GA to Gatlinburg, TN. I plan to make a lunch stop somewhere in between. I thought about Spartanburg just because it is convenient from a timing perspective.

Can anyone provide me with suggestions either in Spartanburg or any other city along I-26? Trying to avoid big cities as I do not want to get lost. Looking for something decent and quick at the same time. (No Cracker Barrels!)

Thanks!
Dec 29th, 2004, 12:17 PM
GoTravel

Stop in Columbia. Spartanburg, SC is about as yuck a city as they come. Greenville, SC would be so much more pleasant but it is out of your way.

Downtown Columbia in the Vista has some nice places. Lizzard's Thicket (not downtown but near on Beltline Blvd) is a chain local to Columbia but it is excellent meat and three veggies type place. Devine Foods on Devine Street in Five Points has the best Greek in Columbia. Palmetto BBQ also on Devine is good. Kinch's on Assembly Street has fried chicken so good it will make you cry. Yesterday's in Five Points on Harden is also very good. Try the meatloaf.

Dec 30th, 2004, 03:59 AM

Spartanburg has improved a lot in the past couple of years but other than chain restaurants right off 26 you have to go into downtown - as far as I have found anyway. I agree that Columbia may have more options. you may want to try www.chowhound.com for some ideas or post as a question and see what is suggested.
Dec 30th, 2004, 04:20 AM

How about Wade's if it must be Spartanburg?

It's a meat and three, but of pretty good quality. I'm a sucker for the yeast rolls. In fact, I'm heading there today after I mountain bike in S'burg. It helps to burn a few calories before you tuck into fried chicken, mashed potaoes, mac & cheese, broccoli and cheese, sweet potato souffle, carrot salad, yeast rolls, butter, and sweet tea! (yes, that's two meals)

If you are interested in that, get off of 26 onto I85 business(as opposed to "bypass"), then onto Asheville Hwy (176) a few miles toward town. I imagine you could get more precise directions on mapquest. It's on a main road.

The Beacon in S'burg is a local icon, but it's a heart attack + it's harder to get to. I'm not aware of any good "upscale" food in S'burg.

I'm not sure about their hours, but I think your absolute BEST BET is to get off 26 in Landrum SC on Hwy 14 toward Landrum. Go about 1/2 mile and look for Stone Soup...very small, very good, I've only had brunch there, but everything (shrimp & grits, pancakes, etc.) was good.

A few exits farther is Saluda NC. Get off 26 and head toward Saluda, follow signs, Wildflour Bakery has a limited menu of bakery-type stuff like quiche, stuffed pockets, sandwiches, etc. Very high quality, hearty, whole-wheat-y baked goods. Also another 1/2 mile into quaint Saluda is Purple Onion, basic soup, salad kind of place. For both of these I would call for hours, especially this time of year.

Otherwise, wait 'til you get to Asheville.

Have fun. Are you skiing?
Dec 30th, 2004, 04:47 AM

To answer the question that you asked: Fatz Cafe, New Cut Road at I-26, Exit 17. This is about 1 mile north of the intersection I-26 and I-85, just west of I-26 (back in the area of motels south of New Cut Road); left turn at the exit light from I-26 going north, cross I-26, then left turn at either the next or second cross street, where I think there is also a light. We stopped there a few weeks ago both going and returning on our trip from Nashville to Charleston. We had never heard of the restaurant before. It is a small, relatively new chain centered mainly in SC with some locations in NC, TN and GA. Good food choices, good service, clean restrooms, quick in and out; we were quite satisfied. I had the shrimp and grits on one stop and the country fried steak at the second stop and was pleased with both dishes.
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:15 AM

I neglected to say, this is just north of Spartanburg. They also have a web site at http://www.fatzcafe.com/ where you can look at the menu and see if it is to you liking.
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies.
Will confer with the rest of the family about the options that you gave.

LiteSpeed_Chick: Yes the idea is to go skiing/snowboarding. Beginners though.
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:51 AM

there is not much snow and it is melting qickly
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:57 AM

there is a good restaurant on the corner in downtown Spartanburg but for the life of me I can't remember the name. I think it's a woman's name...Emily's??? They have Southern style but higher calibre fare. I've gottent here vegetable plate which comes with a great selection...I think one time it was creamed spinach, roasted vegetables, corn pudding and corn bread...Have also had their soups and salads which have been consistently good - and of course good bread - in my mind if I restaurant has good bread that 1/2 the battle is over!
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:08 AM

I second Fatz Cafe. The food is very good and you get huge portions. The poppyseed rolls are the best.
Dec 30th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Fatz is fine is you like HUGE, fat and greasy portions. If you care about what you put in your mouth skip it.
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:49 AM
GoTravel

I'm not a fan of Fatz either.

Dec 30th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Very disappointing to know that the snow is going away... Any place within driving distance from Gatlinburg where we can find snow???
Dec 30th, 2004, 12:58 PM

The region is experiencing above normal daytime temperatures right now, but lows at night continue to allow most ski areas to make snow. The forecast is for above normal highs through the middle of next week.

You didn't say when you are traveling from Savannah to Gatlinburg, but as long as you don't mind man-made snow you should still be able to see it during the next week or so at Ober Gatlinburg, or Cataloochee ski area on the other side of the Smokies in North Carolina.
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

I will be there all next week...

Search this Thread