Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   lunch recommendations in calistoga (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lunch-recommendations-in-calistoga-419937/)

cmeyer54 Apr 7th, 2004 10:26 AM

lunch recommendations in calistoga

Two couples will be doing the sonoma/napa wine crawl next weekend (April 15-18) to celebrate a 50th birthday. Our first day in wine country on the 16th will start with spa treatments at the Oasis Spa in Calistoga. That will run until about 11:30 so does anyone have a nice, laidback kind of lunch place to veg out before we start driving back to Sonoma? We'll be stopping at possibly three vineyards on the way back to the hotel - Markham, Duckhorn and either Silver Oak and/or Opus. Thanks!

Chico Apr 7th, 2004 11:48 AM

Our favorite restaurant in Healdsburg is the Wappo Bar and Grill - try and sit out on the patio, if it is a nice day. It is one of my favorite restaurants of anywhere! Also, the Calistoga Inn is very good. Both are casual. Your trip sounds great!

Astrolabe Apr 7th, 2004 12:01 PM

Chico meant to say Calistoga instead of Healdsburg. Wappo is probably the best restaurant in Calistoga. But Catahoulas and the Calistoga Inn are both excellent as well as a half dozen other places.

If you are staying in Sonoma, why not try out the spa at the Sonoma Mission Inn and save the driving to Calistoga?

kimamom Apr 7th, 2004 12:10 PM

Definitely Wappo Bar & Bistro in Calistoga for lunch. Their salmon on foccacia is heavenly, served with cucumber water. Save room for their desserts, also wonderful.

Sadly, Catahoula's closed the first of the year. Try to fit in Clos Pegase in Calistoga, great wines and beautiful artwork to view. Sterling is also very good.

You may want to check out the Indian Springs Resort, www.indianspringscalistoga.com for a spa treatment there. We stayed in one of the bungalows there and I just loved this place. You will be like Gumby when you walk out of there!! ***kim***

You can use their Olympic size mineral pool with a treatment until 5:00. Guests of the resort get to swim/soak until midnight, which I did!!

Chico Apr 7th, 2004 12:41 PM

Oops! My mistake - I definitely meant Calistoga for The Wappo Bar and Grill.
I second the recommendation to visit the Clos Pegase winery. Also, Rombauer (spelling?) is great!

cmeyer54 Apr 7th, 2004 01:14 PM

Wappo sounds great - Calistoga for the mud baths....a guy thing on this trip. I'll look the wappo up and see if we need or can make reservations for that day. thanks everyone -

kimamom Apr 7th, 2004 01:32 PM

Let us know how the mud bath goes, my husband has been trying to get me to do that for over two years! He finally just brought me home some mud bath stuff for the bath at home from a spa in Astoria where he had massages with my two sons. What pampered guys, huh? LOL ***kim***

razzledazzle Apr 7th, 2004 01:34 PM

Got to agree with Kim-Indian Springs
is the place to spa-we did Oasis once and not much to write home about-no pool (unless you can use the motel next
door) just not the experience that is to be had at Indian Springs. We have reservaions Apr 26-27.
Wappo 'tis divine, yet if it's a glorious day and as you requested a vegging venue-I would pick the Calisoga Inn IF they are serving lunch outside
in the patio next to the creek.
After lunch, venture accross the street
there on Lincoln for after spa supplies
at Wexford & Woods-I have truly never seen so many uniques soaps! My hubby insists on a stop as he found some
soap at W&W that loves his skin and is manly. Then wander into the Artful Eye for unique Sonoma grown jewlery,craft and art.
Enjoy your trip!
R5

cmeyer54 Apr 7th, 2004 02:19 PM

Great suggestions. My part in this has been the lodging and dinners - the spa was handled by another in the group. I'm not doing a mud bath - the guys and gals have different itineraries but I'll let you know their reactions.

BayArea Apr 7th, 2004 02:28 PM

If any of these wineries have picnic grounds why not stop off at the Palisade's Market and pick up gourmet picnic goodies, they have a really wonderful selection.

Otherwise Wappo's is good as is the Calistoga Inn. I'm not such a big fan of Catahoula's.

kimamom Apr 7th, 2004 02:53 PM

Razzledazzle, lucky you! Don't you love that pool? I just checked their website and my story from almost two years ago is still there. Too funny! ***kim***

Kal Apr 7th, 2004 02:55 PM

Chico-"Ex-nay on the Rombauer-scray"!
:$

Too much talk about Duckhorn on the Wine-Os board. Guess it's time for me to visit a bottle or :)>-