Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lunch on the North Shore Kauai (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lunch-on-the-north-shore-kauai-1468282/)

Scootoir Aug 25th, 2017 07:51 PM

Lunch on the North Shore Kauai

Hello, my husband's family is having a reunion of sorts on Kauai this fall. One day we might like to drive to the north shore and would like to have some restaurant recommendations for lunch. A view would be lovely. Depending on who decides to go that day there might be 3 to 6 of us; budget is not an issue but food allergies are (avocado and wheat). We usually spend our time in Lihue and Poipu while visiting family and have to get around the island this time.

MoonFish Aug 25th, 2017 11:17 PM

Have a late lunch at my fave, Happy Talk Lounge in Princeville...opens at 3pm.
Great food and view is stunning.

Go have drinks first at St. Regis.

Afterwards, head to Tiki Iniki bar which is owned by rocker, Todd Rundgren, North Shore local!

www.happytalklounge.com

vincenzo32951 Aug 26th, 2017 02:45 AM

In Hanalei, the Postcards Cafe or Bar Acuda.

jamie99 Aug 26th, 2017 11:32 AM

Postcards and Bar Acuda are dinner only places, Happy Talk is probably the best choice with a view. I like Hanalei Gourmet and sometimes Kalapyso for food but neither has a view.

vincenzo32951 Aug 27th, 2017 03:10 AM

Sorry, missed the part about lunch. Indeed Postcards and Bar Acuda offer dinner only.

Kathie Aug 27th, 2017 07:07 AM

For lunch in Hanalei, we usually go to the Hanalei Gourmet. No view, but the food is good. Frankly, there aren't a lot of places open for lunch in Hanalei. All of the other ones we've tried over the years have been poor to really terrible. There may be options in Princeville.

Kathie Aug 27th, 2017 07:07 AM

Songdoc if you have a favorite lunch place in Hanalei, please do share!

Scootoir Aug 27th, 2017 08:12 PM

Thanks for the responses. We can look into Hanalei Gourmet as well as see if there maybe something in Princeville. Hoping Songdoc will chime in.

FaceInTheCrowd Aug 28th, 2017 06:36 AM

We like Hanalei Dolphin, but I agree that it's pretty slim pickings for lunch in Hanalei.

Kathie Aug 28th, 2017 07:38 AM

Lots of good places for dinner, though.

Songdoc Aug 28th, 2017 09:35 AM

It’s hard to believe, but I think the St. Regis is the only place that serves lunch with a “wow” view—and that is a very expensive view, indeed. But if that doesn't matter, that would be the winner. As was mentioned, Happy Talk doesn’t open until 3 pm. It’s surprising how few oceanfront restaurants there are on Kauai—especially on the North Shore.

My favorite lunch with a view is a Foodland panini eaten on my lanai. (Hmmm, maybe I should rent out my lanai and do some catering. haha) There’s also Pat’s taco truck at the Hanalei pier, but I have a feeling that’s not what you have in mind ;-).

You could eat outside at Tiki Iniki. I had a terrific lunch there, but the view is of a strip mall. There is also outside dining at Nanea’s at the Westin, but your view is mostly of the swimming pool.

I’d probably go with Tiki Iniki, which has a fun, Polynesian ambience. After a couple of Mai Tais you won’t miss the view. HA!

FYI, two of my favorite restaurants with views have closed: Mediterranean Gourmet and Neide’s.

Scootoir Aug 28th, 2017 12:22 PM

Thanks Songdoc. We've been visiting Kauai for 11 years and I have been surprised at how few view restaurants there are. Perhaps that's why the Beach House in Poipu makes such a big deal about their view.

I'll look into the St Regis and keep Tiki Iniki in mind as our likely lunch spot.

MoonFish Aug 29th, 2017 11:22 AM

Don't miss out on Happy Talk Lounge, view is the same as St. Regis but better food.
I love the gang at Tiki Iniki but go after.
Go first to the Regis for drinks/app and right at 3 for HH/lunch.

Kapaa traffic is a nightmare!

Kal Aug 31st, 2017 12:39 PM

Mediterranean Gourmet closed? I'm surprised it took <i>this</i> long!
Million dollar view-10 cent food IMHO.

They also closed down one of our faves, Roy Yamguichi's The Tavern about 3 yrs ago. TWO mill dollar view, 1 mil dollar food...and beer!

VERY glad Happy Talk is open again. Loved the old "open jam sessions" they had on Sun afternoons, I believe. Never knew who would drop by and jam with the bar band.

Had a good lunch at Bouchon's last June. Good views of "Downtown Hanalei" and the mountains. I don't like to rec a place I've only been to once, tho but good food and service.

Scootoir Aug 31st, 2017 01:16 PM

MoonFish we have experienced that traffic. Mr. Wonderful or I will plan to drive so the others can take a good long look at Kapaa. ;-)

Kal, a mountain view can be beautiful on Kauai, we'll look into Bouchon's as well.

I have been surprised that there aren't more ocean view restaurants on Kauai--need to start a movement.

Kal Aug 31st, 2017 02:00 PM

Scootoir...you mentioned you stay in Lihue, too?

We are Kapaa fans.
3 great ocean view restos near us are Lava Lava, Oasis, Bull Shed and while you can see the ocean from the back side of The Oly Cafe, not a "real view", IMHO.
I'd say Sam's Ocean View, too but food and service way too inconsistent.

I wish JO2 or Kintaros had ocean views!

Inakauaidavidababy Aug 31st, 2017 03:17 PM

Street view or ocean view Is always a dilemma at Oly Cafe

Word out is Med Gourmet I reopened as Opakapika Grill. rebranded.

Scootoir Sep 3rd, 2017 04:06 PM

Kal we usually stay in Poipu, makes me feel like I'm on vacay rather than just there to visit the in-laws. I want to try Lava Lava and hope to make it this trip. I think there is also one on the Big Island where more in-laws live.

So what's the deal with the Olympic Café? We have looked at the menu but were disappointed there never seem to be Greek dishes on it. My grandpa came from Greece and I was so jazzed the first time we spotted it on Kauai but disappointed by the menu. Perhaps we'll give it a try.

Songdoc Sep 3rd, 2017 06:38 PM

I was underwhelmed by the Olympic Cafe. I was part of a party of four and none of us were impressed. Two people ordered fish tacos that they said definitely did not include the type of fish that had been described on the menu, and was not tasty. My wrap was okay, but not terrific.

The only Greek food I've seen on the island is at the food truck at the north end of Kapa'a. I haven't tried it yet.

I read some really bad reviews of Opakapika Grill. It was indeed formerly the Med Gourmet. But it's new and might just need some time to find it's feet.

Kathie Sep 4th, 2017 09:41 AM

I'd heard so many people rave about the Olympic Cafe but we, like Dukey, were not impressed. The food is mediocre, at best, and everything seems greasy to me.

I'll be interested to see how the Opakapika Grill works out. We won't be on Kauai until February, but I'm hoping of a review or two before then.