Lunch in Pasadena for Mom's 90th birthday

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch in Pasadena for Mom's 90th birthday

Mom is turning 90 in November and just wants a quiet celebration with the family (there would be 7 of us at the most). Originally she asked for lunch at the Ritz Huntington but from what I see on their website it looks like their dining room is only open for dinner. She really wants lunch. Would like something that is not too noisy and great service. thanks for your help.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 11:33 AM

Although I believe that the other restaurant at the Ritz is open for lunch, I think that you would have better food and more special time at the Parkway Grill (see info below). They have a beautiful dining room (lighting, huge arrangements of cut flowers) and their menu and food are fantastic. I have had many special lunches and dinner there. It is where I would take my Mom if I had to make a decision. Have fun with your Mom!

Parkway Grill
510 S. Arroyo Parkway
Pasadena, CA
626-795-1001
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 05:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've only eaten dinner at the Parkway Grill, but it IS really nice and makes for a nice occasion.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the Parkway Grill looks like it would be perfect for us but unfortunately they do not serve lunch on weekends. Now, I am wondering about the Raymond. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 11:08 PM

If she asked for the Huntington Ritz (be sure she didn't mean the Huntington museum tea room), then I would take her there. You could have a tea lunch there or I think the other poster is right about another room that has lunch. I wouldn't call the service great but she probably won't notice if everyone is having a good time. Julienne's in San Marino has a separate room, you might check on that. Their food is excellent but this would only work if you get the separate room. Ate at the Raymond the other day, it just doesn't seem special enough and I think you mom wants either grandeur or great service (or both). Bottom line, I'd call the Ritz and inquire - that's what she asked for so it's probably your best bet.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 11:38 AM

Sorry, it wasn't clear that you wanted lunch on the week-end. Saturday may be tough to find something special enough, but Sunday brunch would be easy. Maybe go for an early dinner...say at 5pm? Here are few other ideas:

Il Fornaio
Delacey's Club 41
Stoney Point
Terrace, Ritz Carlton (brunch)
McCormick & Schmick's
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 02:07 PM

Bistrot 45 is one of the best restaurants in Pasadena. Elegant and quiet too. Not sure whether it's open for weekend lunch. So many of the fancy restaurants are not.

Parkway Grill can be noisy at peak times. The food is great though.

Derek's has fabulous food and is also elegant and quiet. It has an unlikely location in a strip mall, but is very nice. Again, I'm not sure if it's open for weekend lunch.

I eat at Julienne's all the time. The food is terrific but the atmosphere in the main restaurant is very casual. Someone suggested booking their separate room --- that might be a perfect solution.