Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lunch in NYC in December (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lunch-in-nyc-in-december-750459/)

PHayden Nov 26th, 2007 06:50 AM

Lunch in NYC in December

On Monday, December 17th, my daughter, son in law, and I will be in NYC looking at all the Christmas sites and shopping. Where would be a good place to eat lunch near Fifth Avenue? We don't want any where real fancy, just someplace that we can get in out of the cold and have a leisurely lunch.

GoTravel Nov 26th, 2007 06:53 AM

It is not cheap but a real treat to eat in either The Sea Grill or The Rock Center Cafe and watch the ice skaters at Rockefeller Center. It is such a holiday thing to do.

Also, 21 Club would be a fabulous holiday thing to do for lunch.

lisettemac Nov 26th, 2007 07:05 AM

For a shopping lunch, I like the restaurant at Saks. Very "ladies who lunch." Another treat is the tea room at Takashimaya. They have lovely sandwiches, salads and a daily bento box. All kinds of assorted teas.

NeoPatrick Nov 26th, 2007 05:29 PM

If those places are a little too fancy and expensive, how about La Bonne Soupe on 55th just off 5th Avenue? (And no it's not just soup!) A really great lunch place with nice service and almost downright inexpensive prices.

doug_stallings Nov 27th, 2007 05:00 AM

As for the Sea Grill, Rock Center Cafe, Saks, etc. these are fine if you want to spend $40+ per person, but if you want a really nice, elegant lunch for a reasonable price (well under $20), I'd suggest Le Pain Quotidien, the French sandwich shop (truly excellent open-face sandwiches and pastries).

There's no one on Fifth Avenue, but there is one on 7th near Central South, as well as one near Bryant Park (5th Ave./42nd St). These places are worth the 10-minute walk. There's a locator on the web site. La Bonne Soupe is also very good and highly recommended.

lisettemac Nov 27th, 2007 06:31 AM

Personally, I have never understood the appeal of Le Pain Quotidien. If eating all organic is important to you, then maybe it is appealing. Otherwise, I think it was one of the more overpriced breakfasts I've ever had, outside of a hotel restaurant. All for a cup of coffee and an organic muffin. I certainly wouldn't head out of my way for it.

lisettemac Nov 27th, 2007 06:47 AM

Here's another inexpensive option -- Burger Heaven. There are a couple of locations just off Fifth Ave. It is a step above a diner, with waitress service. Good burgers, salads, sandwiches. They also have breakfast.

Margo_Chester Nov 27th, 2007 05:02 PM

I second Patrick's & Doug's suggestions. We had a nice (casual) dinner at La Bonne Soup and I go back again. Le Pain Quotidien is one of my favorites for breakfast or lunch, fresh salads, cheese plates, fruit, good soups, gourmet sandwiches on fabulous bread and their coffees are excellent. As Doug has already pointed out it's not real close to Fifth, but it's really just a short walk. There are other locations around the city too. www.lepainquotidien.com

sobster Nov 27th, 2007 05:16 PM

Trattoria del Arte
Red Eye

Ryan Nov 27th, 2007 06:25 PM

If all you're looking for is a place to sit with decent food and reasonable prices, you might try Rosen's Deli on 51st & Madison. (Across from the side entrance to St. Patrick's.) It isn't a Carnegie Deli, but for a sandwich or burger it's fine.

I agree that Burger Heaven is a good option if you're looking that isn't fancy. They are usually packed with people (like me) who work nearby. It isn't The 21 Club but it's a fine option for under $15 a person. (There three off Madison at 49th, 53rd, and 54th.)

Someone where a step-up in terms of food quality, though without wait staff, is Fresco on the Go. If you walk in between 12:30 and 1:30, you'll have to hunt for a table. Either go a bit earlier or later unless you're willing to have one person scout while the others order.

Another option in the $25 to $35 an entree range is Fresco, the more upscale offering by the Scotto family.

Annabel Nov 27th, 2007 06:45 PM

My favorite place for lunch is Via Quadronno between Madison & Fifth. It's a local eatery (not touristy), very european and absolutely wonderful. Living in NY we are frequent diners. Here is their website www.viaquadronno.com

Annabel Nov 27th, 2007 06:53 PM

Oh I might add to the above.....If you do see a crowd at Via Quadronno, do not leave, the tables turn fast so it takes just a few minutes to get a table. However you will not be rushed is you wish to linger. They are very accommodating. It's not a "real fancy" place but very very nice in a very upscale neighborhood. The food is incredible and the coffee is the best anywhere.