Lunch between Denver airport and Vail

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch between Denver airport and Vail

We're flying into Denver airport next Saturday from Florida and driving to Vail. Is there any place to stop and eat lunch on the way? Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:46 AM

I'd try something in Idaho Springs if you want to get the flavor of a small Mountain town. If you are looking for more main-stream, fast food options then to on to Dillon. Downtown Frisco also has some wonderful places for lunch.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:53 AM

it's about 2 hours, so if you could hold off, i.e., you're not ravenous i'd wait till i hit vail as your lunch options will increase exponentially. if you must stop, grab a Chipolte burrito (don't think they've gotten to FL yet) at the 32nd/Youngfield exit off I70 in the Applejack shopping center. The burrito should hold you for about 1 week!

AFter Chipolte, go to apple jack for an almost unbeatable selection of wines and liquor.

If you want to go up the hill somewhat, you can stop at exit 254 to see the buffalo herd, then go across the highway to the genesee towne cafe, the owner is from austria, and there's always something interesting on the menu.

even further up the hill, in idaho springs, is Beau Jo's pizza, where they serve it, Colorado style, with a huge crust and honey to dip the crust in.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 09:08 AM

The Tiki Bar in Dillon Colorado, perhaps the best view for a lunch spot in the state! Take the Dillon exit, the first one after the tunnel, go left to Dillon, and follow the signs to the Marina. You will have to park by the amphitheatre. Walk down to the tent. It?s a bar made out of a tough shed with a grill for burgers and such. Not fancy but again the view is incredible, very fun, friendly place that most tourists never have heard of. Oh if you?re not a dog lover you may not enjoy. Lots of dogs sitting around a "no dogs allowed sign"

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 09:29 AM

PS for a slide show of the Tiki Bar visit http://coloradoskiresorts.com/summit...ding/index.htm
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Coskier, I know you're a big fan of Sweet Basil and we're definitely going to try it out next week. I can't wait!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Coskier, what a great tip! I didn't even know that was there. It looks like a good bike ride destination.

I just had lunch at Fritz' Bistro and was really disappointed. Tell me I had an unusually poor experience.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 11:44 AM

Grasshopper, depends on what you had, I found that Apps, wine snacks are wonderful. Sometimes the meat dishes are not so great. The owners, Tom & Shari keep us coming back, worth another try as are the wine pairing dinners.

Haven't been to the Tiki Bar? You have been missing out. It is a great bike ride destination, watch out for the rum runners though. Can make for an interesting ride home.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 11:47 AM

gatorlover, I am a big fan of Sweet Basils! I also like "Up the Creek" for lunch if you can sit on the patio. The food is good not great but the setting more than makes up for it and the staff is allways very friendly.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 02:55 PM

The pizza is great at Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:10 PM

I too am a fan of Sweet Basil, but Larkspur is gaining ground (former chef of Sweet Basil, Thomas Salomonovich).

Saphire - a new restaurant is pretty good as well. Above Up the Creek. Blu's is great for breaky/brunch - green eggs and ham (a eggs benedict with spinach, capers, hollandaise,mmmm) Below Sweet Basil on the creek.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 04:02 PM

Grasshopper and Coskier, you must be talking about Fritz at Keystone?

We stopped by after skiing this past winter and the owners made us feel right at home. Their wine rep was there and we were offered free samples, and their airedale dog (Barlow was it?) was our new best friend. Friendly place, but I'd definitely consider it a wine bar rather than a meal stop. Tom & Shari are great people, aren't they?
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Goldenstatesman, right you are. Fritz Alpine Cafe and yes Shari and Tom are great! Alas the Keystone Dog gestapo has put an end to the dog coming to work. But still Frtiz's is a great place to hang out. Tom plays in a band that sometimes plays on Sunday afternoons on the patio. It is a blast!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 06:11 AM

OK, I'll give it a second try. Maybe it was just poor timing on my part. I'm always up for a good wine bar (hic!).
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:35 AM

Goldenstatesman, just got an e-mail from Fritz's they have a new web site http://www.fritzalpinebistro.com some pics you might enjoy.

Gatorlover sorry to hijack your thread!
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Ha! That bear in the picture has become one of my neighborhood regulars! Makes me a little nervous about taking out the trash. He often dines at the Ski Tip Lodge dumpster. Clearly has great taste.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Coskier, no problem, I've thoroughly enjoyed all the posts and getting very excited about our trip and all the unique restaurants we can enjoy! Thanks everyone for your help!
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:55 PM

gatorlover, have fun, be sure and tell us all about it. who knows maybe we will run into each other at the Tiki Bar. I usally have 2 dogs with me, a border collie & an Aussie.

That goes for you 2 grasshopper if you ever see someone like that wondering Keystone yell! We will be up this weekend hubby is entering the Exterra Triathlon, the amature race.