Luggage Storage at ORD (Hilton)

Old Jul 24th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luggage Storage at ORD (Hilton)

Hi there all,
I have read some older posts about using luggage storage at the Hilton at the airport.
Has anyone actually done this and if so, any feedback you would like to share?
My husband have a two day layover in Chicago on route to Dublin, Ireland and have a few larger bags that we do not want to lug around with us as we travel by train.
Thanks for your feedback in advance!
Laura
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 01:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
a 2 second google would have found the Ohare Hilton website http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/ill...amenities.html

But it does not state if they offer it for non-guest. A quick phone call to the hotel would get the info you need . . .

(how many is a 'few' and what do you mean by larger? Packing light does simplify a lot of issues)
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 03:57 AM

The hotel's web site clearly states that the limit for luggage storage is 12 hours, so I don't see how this will help you.
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi Yes- I've been googling the heck out of this topic! Also, trying to call ORD. I've come up with nada
Other larger Airports in the world offer such services. Unfortunately, even being a United Club pass holder doesn't help they will only hold a small case.
Our cheeky (3) bags are quite large suitcases as we live on a tiny island and came back to the states to hunt and gather items not found or can't be delivered to us there.
I'm going to attempt the Hilton strategy and chat with one of the bellmen, seems like the going rate per bag would be anywhere from $5-$20 depending im willing to pay not to carry theses things around! I will share my experiences...
Cheers and that's for your comments!
Laura
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 05:09 AM

And what will you do if they say no?
If you are going back to the airport to,leave for Dublin you may have to,book a room.
Old Jul 26th, 2017, 10:29 AM

$5 to store a suitcase for a couple days? You must be kidding.
Old Jul 26th, 2017, 10:41 AM

Feel free to file my post under Useless Advice, because I do not speak from experience...

I cannot imagine that an AIRPORT hotel, especially, would agree to store bags for someone who is not a guest. Think of the security risk inherent in this proposition, and, on a less frightening note, the insurance risk.

As well, consider that you are not the first person to have this idea. If the Hilton's bellmen were that easily and cheaply bought off, they'd be up to their ears in mystery luggage.

If I were you, I would research having those unwieldy bags shipped.
Old Jul 26th, 2017, 11:12 AM

It looks like the Fashion Outlets of Chicago is not too far from the airport (and easily accessible by public transportation) and offers luggage storage so that might be an option.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 04:21 AM

Hi, DiscoverHowWeLive.

You may not have much luck storing bags at O'Hare, but consider loading the Uber app onto your smart phone, and just "uber-ing"to O'Hare with your full suitcases, on the way to Dublin. A taxi may cost $50-60 at the height of traffic, but an uber may only be around $28-35.

Going IN to the city with bags on the train will be easier than coming back to O'hare on the train. (As you will be first on the train going IN to the city--O'Hare being an end stop--but will have a harder time finding room with full suitcases coming From downtown To O'Hare, so you may want to save your money for an Uber TO the airport.)

On the CTA (the Chicago train) to the city, you will take up a lot of space, so may get some frowns the nearer you get to downtown, but Chicagoans are used to seeing suitcases on the train.

Also, if you let me know about where your hotel will be, I can let you know what the CTA station is like there for you to maneuver your bags onto the street level and to your hotel.

OR... if you have no huge desire to be in a hotel downtown, and are good with public transportation, why not stay at the O'Hare Hilton and take the train back and forth to downtown? The hilton entrance to the CTA is close and an easy walk, and the ride to/from downtown is about 30-45 minutes each way. Also, if you wanted a fast Starbucks breakfast each morning, there's a smaller location in baggage claim in Terminal 3 which I think is convenient.

Anyway, post back if you want to float any other questions/ideas past. Have fun in Chicago!