Luggage storage at JFK

Jan 6th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Luggage storage at JFK

I need to find a place to store a small to midsize suitcase either in Manhattan or at JFK while we continue on to a flight to South Africa where we will not need our NYC clothes. We are allowed only a smallish duffle bag for the safari part of our trip in south Africa. Is there Luggage storage at JFK or anywhere in NYC that we can store a suitcase until we return 3 weeks later. We will be spending a night in NYC on our return so we can retrieve the suitcase then for our flight home. Thanks for any help
Jan 6th, 2016, 05:25 PM
J62

Check with your hotel in NYC to see if they will store if for you until your return.
Jan 6th, 2016, 05:27 PM

Where's home? Could you send it by US mail, DHL, UPS, FedEx to your home address and have it waiting for you?
I have wrapped heavy new purchases in dirty clothes and mailed them home in a flat rate box at the US Post office.
Jan 7th, 2016, 06:37 AM

You will not be able to store your suitcase for this long at JFK, nor would you want to because of cost (it's at least $5 a day to store your luggage there ... so you'd be paying $150 just to store each bag, and I strongly suspect 3 weeks greatly exceeds the maximum amount of time it will be held). You have a similar issue with NYC hotels because they have limited amounts of space and don't offer long-term luggage storage, even the big ones.

Instead, what I'd recommend is that you take the suitcase with you to South Africa and store it there, where it will be significantly cheaper than to store it in NYC. Most Johannesburg hotels offer this service with so many people going on safari, and I believe the airport does as well.
Jan 7th, 2016, 07:10 AM

We had a similar issue but we needed our clothes AFTER we left South Africa. I looked into airport storage but settled on staying at a guesthouse that filled a few needs.

We stayed here twice, one night each time - before and after safari. Dinner was very good and great price and the included breakfast was excellent. Made things very easy. Free transport to and from airport and they'd drop you at train if you wanted to go into the city.

http://www.sunrock.co.za

They held our luggage for modest price between stays ( a couple of dollars a day, probably less now with devaluation of ZAR) and let us stay after check out till our flight left in the evening.
Jan 7th, 2016, 07:12 AM
J62

Here is the info about storage at JFK

http://www.panynj.gov/faqs/airports....irportsJFKQu06

6. Are there places at JFK airport to store baggage?
Regarding baggage storage, please contact your air carrier. There is one baggage storage location on-airport in
Terminal 1. Please call (718) 751-2947 between the hours of 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. for pricing and other specifics on storing baggage there
Jan 7th, 2016, 08:34 AM

There is bag storage in several terminals at JFK, including Terminals 1, 4 and 5. It's not just at Terminal 1, but I don't think they will store a bag for 3 weeks, and it's expensive.
Jan 8th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. Here in lies the problem. We are flying into Jo'burg from NYC for 3 nights then on to Safari but we will NOT be returning to Jo'Burg as we fly home from Capetown so storing suitcase in Jo'Burg will not work. We will need some clean clothes once we return to NYC for an overnight, hence storing the suitcase. I actually googled some luggage storage places in NYC but it will be at lest $8.00 a day so that would make it $160! We could probably ship it home and buy something to wear for the day we are in NYC and save money. which is probably what we will end up doing. Thanks again for all your help. Love these forums.
Jan 9th, 2016, 08:43 AM

Buy something to wear either in Capetown or New York.
DHL ot USPS will get your suitcase back home before you get back home.