Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Luggage and MTA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/luggage-and-mta-730253/)

RustyDG Aug 19th, 2007 06:05 PM

Luggage and MTA

How difficult is it to use MTA buses and the subway from LaGuardia if you have luggage: one average roller bag and your carry-on over-the-shoulder bag?

luv2fly Aug 19th, 2007 06:10 PM

no problem at all, done all the time

just make sure you don't run over anyones toes...LOL.

RustyDG Aug 19th, 2007 06:15 PM

Thanks for that confident note. I'll give it a try.

RustyDG Aug 30th, 2007 05:13 PM

Is it just as easy on the buses as the subway? In particular, the M60 to LaGuardia, or maybe the Q33?

ellenem Aug 30th, 2007 06:07 PM

You will have to carry your luggage up and down three steps. The steps are pretty wide. Some bus drivers may lower the entire front of the bus, making the bus kneel to help the elderly or disabled. You get on at the front door, where you insert you MetroCard in the fare box next to the driver. Unlike the subway, the card goes down and then pops back up. Also unlike subways, you can pay with exact change--coins only, no pennies. If you pay with coins, be sure to ask for a transfer when you pay. The driver will print you a paper MetroCard that you can use to transfer to the subway or some other buses.

On your routes, they are regular city buses, with some seating in singles and some in pairs and plenty of standing room. There's no place to easily stow you luggage--it doesn't really fit under the seat. If you are seated, your luggage will be in the aisle next to you and in the way of standing people. Not to worry--I've seen many interesting items on the bus. There's even an itinerant window washer on my morning bus who travels with a three-gallon bucket half-filled with water. (I will admit to traveling with two folding chairs on an early-morning, therefore mostly empty bus.)

williamscb13 Aug 30th, 2007 06:30 PM

I have never taken the M60 but have taken the Q33 one very late Sunday night when the taxi line at LaGuardia stretched the whole length of the terminal.
The Q33 bus was not a kneeling bus and I had a very hard time getting my luggage onto the bus. The steps were wider and steeper than the regular New York City buses that I often taken. That being said, I had lots of luggage and managed just fine. There will be others on your bus doing the same thing.

And just to note, you cannot pay with dollar bills, only cash or a metrocard.

RustyDG Aug 30th, 2007 07:31 PM

Then I guess I'll try the bus, maybe. I just didn't want to get on with luggage if it's not the norm. If it doesn't crowd out too many people, it looks like a good way to get back and forth. Thanks for the info.

nyer Aug 30th, 2007 08:06 PM

the m60 bus seems to be filled mostly with people going to and from the airport, including employees. I've only done it a couple of times, and only with a regular carry on wheeled suitcase, and it was fine.

ggreen Aug 30th, 2007 08:25 PM

Hi Rusty, me again. ;)

Where is your destination in NYC? I ask because unless you are (a) staying in Harlem, (b) off the 4/5/6 or 1/2/3 lines, or (c) really broke - IMO it's better to take the private airport bus to midtown than the M60.

I will say that I only took the M60 to the 4/5 train once. It was painless (I only had carry-on luggage, and a friend to pass the time with), but looong. After all that flying, I just wanted to be at my destination! Then again, it might just be another adventure. :D

If you're interested, the bus line's website is: www.nyairportservice.com. The fare is $12 one way ($21 round trip), and they have stops at Grand Central, Port Authority, and certain hotels in midtown.

RustyDG Aug 30th, 2007 08:49 PM

Hi, I'm going to be at W. 57th/6th Ave. I thought I'd go to LGA and meet my friend who'll be coming for a weekend and help him with his luggage. It is sort of an adventure in itself and he'll only be coming from Charlotte, NC. I thought it might lend an air of local fun to do it that way, but if it is really not too cool, I could just have him take a cab or do whatever on his own.

ggreen Aug 30th, 2007 09:24 PM

Oh, well that makes a big difference! :) Keep in mind that it does take longer, but you do get to see a bit, and you will certainly feel like a local!

Get off the M60 at 125th Street and Lexington Avenue and take the 4/5 train downtown to 59th Street, where the exit is right next to Bloomingdales. Then it's just a few blocks across town to your destination. (There's an ancient dive bar on 60th just to the north of Bloomie's called the Subway Inn, so you can finish off your tour of local color and quench your thirst at the same time!)

RustyDG Aug 31st, 2007 12:42 PM

I was thinking of taking the Q33 to Jackson Hgts/Roosevelt Ave and getting the F which goes right to 57th. Will the type of bus be the same? And then we'll make a beeline for the Subway Inn. That should get the visit off to really good start.

ggreen Aug 31st, 2007 01:54 PM

There you go - sounds like you're a total pro! That route looks way shorter than the ride you'd have on the M60. (In fact, I should try it next time! Of course it goes without saying, please report back on how it goes...)

I've never taken the Q33, but all the city buses are about the same.

I mentioned the Subway Inn partly in jest. But as long as you know what you're in for, it's a great slice of the old NYC! (There used to be so many more places like this, but most have gone by the wayside...) nymag.com/listings/bar/subway_inn