Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lowest priced NYC parking near Lexington and 48th?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Owen O'Neill

I'm usually answering other people's NYC queries but have one of my own for a change! MY GF and I are staying overnight in the city this Friday just for fun (we live very close by but do this on occasion). Got a great deal on the Easdt Side Marriott at 525 lexington. They have valet parking for $34 overnight. I'll be arriving at the hotel by subway as I'm in the city that day on business. She'll be driving in and definitely won't want to walk in heels all the way across town from one of our usual free on-street spots in Hell's Kitchen or on of the relatively cheap garages/lots we sometimes use on 40th Street ($20 incl all taxes for 24 hours). Any hidden gems or place anyone knows of near this hotel, perhaps within a few blocks? The valet aspect is not important and if she can save $5 or $10 by walking a few short blocks. Help!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Dave

Owen,

How about park at your usual spot and have her take a cross town bus and transfer free on the uptown bus. Or she can take a taxi from the garage.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:57 PM
s

THere is alternate side in Tudor City. Have her go around once or twice - she might get lucky.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Owen O'Neill

Dave - she's not a bus or subway riding kinda gal - sher'll do that only when I'm along for the ride.

S - what is Tudor City? There's a whle lot about NYC that I don'nt know and that's an unfamiliar phrase to me.

By the way... I decided to do some additional research by using the "search by distance" function of Mapquest. Wow! Parking is really expensive in that part of town. Most prices within 1/10 mile of the hotel ranged from $34 to $50 incl tax for overnight. I have found a place at 345 52nd Street between Park and Lex that charges $28.05 for 24 hours including all taxes. Good deal for this part of town and that's probably what she'll do.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Howard

Owen, you're probably not going to find anything cheaper than $28.05 in that area. I can't even suggest going further east, which often works. But in this instance you are talking about the area adjacent to the UN, which means expensive parking!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Owen O'Neill

Thanks Howard. I'm in that area regularly but always get there on foot or by subway - never paid any attention to parking prices but it was indeed a shock! The $28.05 is definitely a good price for the area and I'll stick to that - no need to do more research. Just for fun I tried the garage that the Marriott uses for their valet parking - their non-hotel-guest rate is (supposedly) $60 per night! I actually laughed out loud on the phone when the woman quoted me the price - she chuckled - apparently not the first time they've gotten this reaction {

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:49 AM
mj

Owen,
When I commute from LI, I park in a municipal garage (attended) near the 59th St. bridge at Queens Plaza. Holds ~1000 cars and is directly above the E,F,Q,R subway. $10./24 hours. E or F train is 2 stops to 51st and Lex.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Owen O'Neill

Thanks - that's a great tip for future reference and for friends. She'll be driving in from NJ and won't want to cross over the bridge and subway back but I may do that on some future occasions if I'm leaving the city after business and heading east or north.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:34 AM
rqf

To get to Tudor City go south on 2nd Ave. to 41st ST. Make a left onto 41st and follow the road around to 43rd and 2nd AVe. Can't get lost - Ride is a U.