Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Low cost flights from Atlanta (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/low-cost-flights-from-atlanta-1009466/)

Dickie_Gr Mar 25th, 2014 06:34 AM

Low cost flights from Atlanta

Anyone know of a low cost operator with a route from ATL to Charleston, Hilton Head or Mrytle Beach ? Delta seem very expensive in October. Flight cost is nearly as much as UK to ATL.

Thanks

obxgirl Mar 25th, 2014 07:34 AM

Not a low cost operator but try US Air. What is your actual destination? Those three places aren't next door to one another.

I see flights Into Charleston and MB for approx $300. $200 into Savannah. If HH is your destination you could drive from Savannah. I'd be much less inclined to drive from Sav to MB or Charleston.

HappyTrvlr Mar 25th, 2014 07:44 AM

Rent a car in ATL to drive to Hilton Head if cost is too high to fly.

jent103 Mar 25th, 2014 07:54 AM

Driving is what I was thinking as well. You'll probably want a car in all those places anyway, and it won't take much more time than dealing with flying.

WhereAreWe Mar 25th, 2014 08:01 AM

Southwest? What price are you finding on Delta?

obxgirl Mar 25th, 2014 08:05 AM

I'd be less inclined to drive longer distances if arriving from the UK with any sort of jet leg. But am I correct in thinking you've visited all three places before? You might be more comfortable just getting on the road than I am when the directions are reversed.

tomfuller Mar 25th, 2014 08:32 AM

Jet Blue flies from JFK or Boston to Charleston SC.
It may be cheaper to fly to the Northeast instead of Atlanta.

Gretchen Mar 25th, 2014 09:05 AM

Don't fly to Atlanta--fly to Charlotte. Then it is an easy 3.5 hour drive to Charleston or MB.
And as an aside, of those 3 places, the only one that is really a good "destination" is Charleston.

Dickie_Gr Mar 25th, 2014 12:33 PM

Delta's ticketing system seems to have gone haywire.

It is offering Manchester UK to Atl for £460 including tax which is very low. Then it adds £230 for the connection to Charkeston. If I try to book ATL to CHS separately it is asking for £279. These are for the last week of October 2014.

I think US had their sale two weeks ago. We used United via Newark last year, United seem to have enough business this year : quoting £850 for Man : CHS via Newark.

Not sure about Jet Blue, every time I ask for a quote, they just don't seem to get the concept of low cost. They are nowhere near Ryanair in Europe were low cost means very low cost and very low service.

Haven't decided on a final destination but probably Edisto, Beaufort SC or Georgetown.

Gretchen : the destinations I posted were a reference to the airports, we are definitely not MB or HH people. Still looking for the perfect sea Island. Edisto has tons of wildlife but questionable eating out, Kiawah is just too pretty/perfect and Sullivans was great for eating out but a bit lacking in nature. Someone mentioned Murells Inlet? Not sure.

Obx : may re-route and head for the other Beaufort (NC) we have some fun times there. Just not as steamy as SC. Loved boating round Cape Lookout.

May just drive from ATL to Edisto, actually end up there just as quickly as taking the connection. Driving to me is like eating or speaking, don't seem to have a problem post Trans Atlantic.

Have decided I am not spending Autumn in the cold, wind and rain!

Dukey1 Mar 25th, 2014 12:38 PM

If you are not MB people I suspect you won't be MI people, either.

From what you are saying you sound more like Outer Banks people or Golden Isles people.

Dickie_Gr Mar 25th, 2014 12:59 PM

Not sure Dukey.

It may be too far north for the weather? I seem to remember changing in Washington with snow on the ground one November. We landed in Charleston, it was 75oC.

Gretchen Mar 25th, 2014 01:46 PM

If you are not MB people I suspect you won't be MI people, either.
Whassup with that. Murrell's Inlet for eating seafood doesn't get any better except maybe Charleston--and that would be more "white tablecloth".

Dickie--Murrell's Inlet is just north of Pawley's Island/Litchfield and might be just what you are looking for. MB would be the airport, no doubt.
There is Brookgreen Gardens and Huntington Beach State Park for some wild life--and wonderful gardens and art and sculptures.
It is 1.5 hours from Charleston and 20 minutes from Georgetown.
I would agree that you wouldn't want to STAy at MI, but definitely EAT there. You might look for a place on the beach at Pawley's Island--it is really an OLD beach place and wonderful.
Litchfield by the Sea is a mainland beach resort with a Pawley's address and has beautiful modern accomodations.
As for the connections, if you can fly USAir/now American from UK to Charlotte--Myrtle Beach, it could be more economical. No guarantee, of course.

Dickie_Gr Mar 25th, 2014 02:02 PM

I had heard about the seafood at MI. I just can't remember the town when we drove through.

I am getting old and having talked, I think we are going back to what we know.

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p171417

It is a beautiful house, beautiful spot in what is a like a nature reserve, two blocks from the sea. Just a shame the restaurants are at best average.

May just drive down from Atlanta and take the cheap direct flights.

All we need to do now is avoid stray hurricanes. Missed Sandy by hours.

Gretchen Mar 25th, 2014 05:25 PM

So where is it--I am blocked from it for some reason.

doug_stallings Mar 25th, 2014 05:30 PM

We have nothing like Ryanair in the US. Spirit is the closest, and they have a very limited routing system, and their flights must be booked online instead of through a travel agent. I'm not sure where they fly from Atlanta.

Since you are only 5 hours from Atlanta to Charleston, I don't know why you don't drive. That is just the way we get around in the US for distances of 300 miles or less. Sadly, other than a bus, you have few other options. But 270 pounds is ridiculous for this flight. Book it separately, and it should be less than $300 unless there is some special reason.

In general, flights to Hilton Head are always expensive, and it's off season for that and Myrtle Beach, so flights may have been reduced seasonally.

starrs Mar 25th, 2014 05:37 PM

AirTran to Savannah or Jacksonville.
Southwest to Charleston

Megabus to Jacksonville, FL or Columbia, SC and rent a car there.

janisj Mar 25th, 2014 07:26 PM

Gretchen - the link works for me . . . Wonderful looking place

(Hey - Dickie . . . since you won't be at home . . . :? . . . Rockcliffe sounds mighty nice for a Fall getaway ;) )

Gretchen Mar 26th, 2014 04:05 AM

Finally did get it to open--beautiful. Looks like Pawley's Island places.
As for October being "out of season" for that coast, it's the most beautiful time of year to go!!
Spirit used to (at least) fly to MB--but not sure from where.

Gretchen Mar 26th, 2014 04:10 AM

For giggles, I entered a week in October London-MB and got a fare of about $1300 RT on USAir through Charlotte.

Dickie_Gr Mar 26th, 2014 07:42 AM

Janisj

The house is free, the key is under the mat!

Gretchen

I totally agree, generally Autumn in SC had some of the best weather in the world. We usually have very little wind, hazy sun and mid 70s, does it get any better?

Just unsure about the weather further north.