Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lovely toiletries to bring on vacation... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lovely-toiletries-to-bring-on-vacation-592506/)

Margot Feb 19th, 2006 02:31 PM

Lovely toiletries to bring on vacation...

My husband and I are going on vacation in March (Disney with our daughter, so this isn't a relaxing trip). I always like to buy some new shampoo, soap, lotion, etc., to make it feel like an "event." Please give me some ideas on nice-smelling products, keeping in mind that I'm not Oprah and am not going to spend $35 on a bottle of shampoo. I also don't want people to smell me coming a mile away!

As always, thanks!

No_name Feb 19th, 2006 02:42 PM

We have always liked Aveda. The whole line has a very clean smell to it.

P_M Feb 19th, 2006 02:43 PM

A few years ago I got a little gift pack from Bed, Bath and Beyond. It was given to me as a birthday present, and it contained a few lotions, shampoo and conditioner. The person who bought it for me was also "not Oprah" LOL so I doubt it cost very much.

offlady Feb 19th, 2006 02:43 PM

My favorite is Bath & Body Works. I love all of their fragrances. But my problem is I can't them where I live so I always load up on their products when I'm traveling. They usually will have some products on sale. Love it, love it, love it.

Margot Feb 19th, 2006 02:50 PM

No name, PM and off lady: thanks for the suggestions.

Off lady - if you don't mind my asking, where do you live? Lately it seems as if Bath and Body Works is everywhere. I'm surprised you don't have one near you!

No_name Feb 19th, 2006 02:54 PM

And the Aveda foot lotion is the best I have ever found. You have to try it. I also use the hand lotion when I travel by air. My hands tend to get very dry and it seems to do the trick.

offlady Feb 19th, 2006 03:05 PM

I'm on this island called Maui-24/7, and I'm about to get rock fever as I haven't been off this island in a while. I will be in Honolulu next month but I don't think there are any stores in the entire state. I will have to wait until July when I go to Kentucky. My cabinets are well stocked though. Anyone know what the new fragrances are this year?

AnnMarie_C Feb 19th, 2006 04:30 PM

What a nice idea, Margot. Well, in addition to the products already mentioned I also like items from The Body Shop. Recently, a friend (not Oprah, lol) gave me bath items from World Market (aka Cost Plus World Market) that I really like. My all time favorite scent is Cotton Blossom from Bath & Body Works and that store is great about carrying travel size bottles.

Toucan2 Feb 19th, 2006 04:36 PM

My absolute favorite is Gardin Botanika. They expanded too fast in the past and had to close all their stores so you can only get them online. www.gardenbotanika.com.

Every person I've introduced to this line really loves it. My favorite has always been the Honey Citrus line, my husband loves the Mango (but it looks live they've discontinued it). There are new lines with Pomegranate (sp?) and another with chocolate which both smell wonderful.

kelliebellie Feb 19th, 2006 04:40 PM

Bath and Body works coconut lime.

Burts Bees
http://www.burtsbees.com

beentheretwice Feb 19th, 2006 04:53 PM

Muffin would have some great suggestions. Where is she?
;-)

charsuzan Feb 19th, 2006 05:03 PM

Have you tried any Philosophy products. They all smell great, especially the Falling in Love.

AuntAnnie Feb 19th, 2006 05:05 PM

Aveda has been recognized by the Sierra Club and others for their ecologically forward products. My brother used to work in advertising there and they use all recycled paper and soy ink; product line made from natural ingredients and fragrances and no animal testing. I esp. love their bath salts. They are a bit spendy.

Lena456 Feb 19th, 2006 05:30 PM

If you can get to a Whole Foods they carry many different products. That section of their stores usually smells delicious.

J_Correa Feb 19th, 2006 06:09 PM

I love trying things at Whole Foods. I've got sensitive skin, so I never know what is going to work for me. So when I go to Whole Foods, I stop by the lotion aisle first, try something, and then do my shopping. If I like the fragrance and it hasn't made me itch by the end of my shopping, then I buy it :)

Margot Feb 21st, 2006 03:35 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! I also like Cotton Blossom. I like things that smell "clean."

divingaggie Feb 21st, 2006 04:08 PM

I used to love Bath and Body Works, especially anything with strawberry or coconut. But lately, I've been an even bigger fan of The Body Shop. Their stuff smells more natural and less perfumey(sp?). As far as shampoo and conditioner, my favorite lines are Biosilk and Biolage. Both are great for the hair, and they also smell so good and clean. Oh, and I like Philosophy, too.

sandypaws3 Feb 21st, 2006 04:38 PM

I've heard good things about Lush bath products. They're a British product and are available online. This is the U.S. link:

http://tinyurl.com/c2dzn

We're going to San Francisco in March, so I was happy to see there's a Lush store near our hotel. I thought they'd make good souvenirs for my daughters-in-law.

Sandy

Amy Feb 21st, 2006 04:46 PM

Lush's Godiva solid shampoo/conditioner is great for travel. Some Lush stuff does smell quite a lot, but most of the smells don't last obnoxiously. They have some very "clean" smells too, particularly the salt shampoo "Big" and the Sea-themed things.

laclaire Feb 21st, 2006 04:47 PM

The Body Shop's Vitamin E line smells powdery and floral. I love it.

Shampoo: Aveda is really good (I used to work at an Aveda salon and still use their stuff) but be sure you purchase based on physical needs and not smell. Brilliant, for example, is for dry hair and Rosemary Mint tends to strip my hair, as it is meant for more oily locks.

Nanette Lepore is a very feminine fragrance and at Neimans they have little sample bottles that are soooo cute. Just buy something and ask for one.

Though high-end, Howard Slatkin and Jo Malone both make some very fine scents. Howard Slatkin's Muguet and White Jasmine is such a sexy scent, adn Jo Malone's orange blossom shower gel leaves a very fresh scent on your smooth smooth skin.

Claire