Notices

Lottery for Broadway Shows

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lottery for Broadway Shows

Does anyone know which shows have lotterys? Is there any other way to get good tickets at the last minute without paying brokers costs? We went to a theatre box office years ago and got excellent seats for the cost of the ticket for a sold out show due to a cancellation. Is this common or even remote? We are going this weekend.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's always a chance that you'll luck in and walk up to the box office and get tickets to a sold-out show. However, note that in many (most?) cases, you'll have to wait in line for potential cancellations. Still, I've lucked in once in a while and got great seats at the last minute without waiting in a line.
As for lotteries for tickets, the following have them (usually in a$2025 price range, and often with a cash-only requirement): Avenue Q, Beauty and the Beast, Chicago, A Chorus Line, The Color Purple, Company, Coram Boy, Curtains, Deuce, The Drowsy Chaperone, Frost/Nixon, Grey Gardens, Hairspray, Jersey Boys, Journey's End, Les Miserables, The Lion King, Mamma Mia, The Phantom of the Opera, The Producers, Rent, Spamalot, Spring Awakening, Talk Radio, Tarzan, Wicked.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you! That is awesome info. Are the lotteries 2 hours before the show? Also do you think there's any chance for Wicked or The Drowsey Chaperone or are they too popular and there might be a greater chance for a different show?
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wicked has a lottery system. It is well organized.

Detailed info is listed on the theater web site.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drowsey Chaperone is a pretty easy ticket. You can go to Broadwaybox.com (or playbill.com) and find a discount code and even get your seats in advance. If you use the code when you call Telecharge (or Ticketmaster, I forget who's handling this one) you'll still pay some fairly hefty fees. If you print off the discount code and go to the boxoffice when you get to New York you can get tickets there at that discount without extra fees.
Getting tickets last minute will be a little cheaper still (but likely not as good seats). The advantage of the discount code is you don't have to go stand in line.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the lottery times vary, but I'm not sure of any of the details. Check the show websites or stop at the theaters when you get to town.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lotteries are fine if you don;t really care if you're shut out. If you really want to see a show - your chances that way are slim at best - esp for the bigger hits.

How much do you want to see one in particular - versus going for one with available tickets?
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since we are so late, we're going this weekend, and the lottery's are very chancy do you think we are better off getting tickets at the 1/2 price Tixs place in Times square the day of the show? We are getting them for our teenagers (since we can't go with our 4 yr old) who aren't too picky with what they see but we want good seats.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure you can definitely get something (from a choice) at the TKTS booth day of show. Or do what I suggest above, do a little planning, print off the discount codes from a couple shows you think you'd like to see, and go the theatre box offices when you arrive in New York. If you wasnt to see several shows, you can get them all by going to the box offices when you arrive -- they don't have to be the same day of the show.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much. I printed a couple last night but I am going to print as many as they have and try to get good seats this way. I never would have known to do this. Thanks for all the advice!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running off copies of the discount offers and then going to the box office(s) when you arrive is definitely the best option, even though the tickets will cost about $10-15 more each than going to TKTS. You'll save a lot of time; you'll probably get better tickets; you won't have to wait until the day of the performance to take your chances on what might be available.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you!