Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lots of Sedona questions! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lots-of-sedona-questions-174327/)

gab Aug 13th, 2001 10:24 AM

Lots of Sedona questions!

I'm looking for somewhere to go for a long weekend before heading to San Diego in December. Right now, Sedona is a strong candidate. Here are my questions: <BR>1. How far would it be to drive from San Diego to Sedona? <BR>2. What's the weather like at the end of December? <BR>3. Would 3 days be enough time to see Sedona's main attractions? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help!

heather Aug 13th, 2001 10:31 AM

Hi there: <BR>I can't answer question #1, but can give some feedback on 2 & 3. <BR> <BR>We stayed in Sedona at the end of December a couple of years ago (and went back this spring). The weather was very pleasant -- in the 70s and sunny. The same trip it was in the 40s at the Grand Canyon and in the 80s in Scottsdale. <BR> <BR>Three days is plenty of time -- We're into hiking and there's lot of it! I find the people kind of spacey (but I'm an urban girl and used to a fast pace). If you're looking for somewhere to stay, we stayed at the Skyranch lodge, as a result of recommendations here, and really liked it. Depending on when you're going, I just got an email that said that The Enchantment (super deluxe and gorgeous) is having a $150/night special which I think runs until December 20. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Jay Aug 13th, 2001 05:35 PM

70's in December is not the norm. It's very cold at night, usually 20's-30's, sometimes lower, but crisp during the day. Expect high 50's and some mid 60's. <BR>3 days is plenty of time to see Sedona. It's a small area. You can spend a lot of time hiking and drinking in the natural beauty, but the tourist sights and such can be digested in a day...two tops. <BR>Plan on at least 8 hours for the drive to SD.

Boots Aug 13th, 2001 05:52 PM

We were in Sedona for 4 days in April 2001 and it snowed! We bundled up in every shirt, sweatshirt and raincoat we had. So expect cold weather. It's a beautiful place and you could see the Sedona sights and get in some hiking in 2 full days. However, we took side trips to Jerome and also to Sunset Crater and to cliff dwellings in Walnut Canyon (don't miss it - you can go right into the dwellings). We also did a long day trip to Grand Canyon. BTW it was also snowing each day as we went to those other places -Brrrrr!

Lisa Aug 13th, 2001 06:04 PM

We were in Sedona in December and loved it. The highlight of the trip for me was the Jeep/horseback ride-trip we took. We left on a jeep through the beautiful red hills to a small ranch. The ranch was out of a movie,(actualy part of it is a movie set) quaint, hilly. We went horse back riding and it was beautiful. Don't miss the Catholic Church built into the rock, it is one of the biggest atractions in Sedona. Visit the slide rock area, we hiked the canyon, through the water, had to swim at times, simply beautiful. Many, Many quaint and beautiful accomodations in Sedona. We booked to late and could not stay in town on New Years Eve. For 3 days see some other sites that have been mentioned. Have fun!!

Julie Aug 13th, 2001 06:09 PM

Has anyone been to Painted desert vista near Sedona? Are there any other cool sights to see in/near Sedona?

Jay Aug 14th, 2001 10:00 AM

Well Sedona is about an hour and a half from Phx and Phx is about 5 hours from San Diego. Late December is cold. Expect snow because it is a higher elevation. As far as what to do in three days, what are you interested in? Hiking will be hindered because of the snow, Oak Creek Canyon and Slide Rock will be out because of the cold. It is very beautiful but unless you want to spend your time at a spa or shopping for new age books and chrystals, I would say there won't be much to do. You could do a quick detour to the Grand Canyon, very beautiful in the winter but bring snow chains.