Los Angeles weekend trip - need ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I need some ideas for my upcoming LA weekend trip. It will be 2 30-something chicks going, staying at Elan Modern (right. Want ideas especially for drinks/lunches/dinners that would be fun/unique and keep us off the roads for too long if at all (I'm a nervous driver!).
Things I know we want to hit include
Grove/Farmer's Market
Hollywood & Highland
In N Out Burger, don't know which one

Places within walking distance, esp for late evening drinks, are especially wanted, as I'd like to avoid driving after drinking-we're both lightweights! Also, what's reasonable to expect for eating/drinking in terms of $$$?

Thanks for ANY advice!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:49 PM

Although not within a walking distance from Elan Modern, but not too far either, Lola's, the martini bar on Fairfax Avenue would be my no. 1 destination for drinks. I would go "early," i.e., before 8:00 P.M., so that I can waltz right in, have their world-famous green apple or chocolate martini, maybe some cheese and fruit, and leave before the crowds roll in, but then it has been quite a few years since my 30-something (he-he) and the crowds and the accompanying noise bother me. But, it may be just what you are looking for and that is also fine. They also serve dinner at Lola's and I understand that it is pretty good. Another one of my favorites for drinks is Maribell's on Sunset Strip. They also serve dinner. Again, remember the age difference between me and you, so keep that in mind.

The Grove is a fun place to hang out and there is a French restaurant right by the entrance (I am totally blanking here), which serves not half-bad mussels in white wine sauce and some other stuff, which you can pick at while watching the crowds rush in and out. All other restaurants are chains, like Cheesecake Factory,Marmalade Cafe, etc. Nothing exceptional.

There is a bunch of fun, new places on 3rd Street, which is a few blocks down from where you will be staying, but I have no personal experience with any of them, with the exception of seeing them always packed with people. Maybe this is a good sign.

Anna Roz
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 08:35 AM

The Sofitel has a new bar just down the street (1 block at most) from you called "Stone Rose". If you're looking for something VERY casual and 'hole in the wall' The "coronet bar" just around the corner from you also. I would also suggest hitting the Sunset strip, DON'T DRIVE! You can walk up to Sunset (uphill some of the way) if you want to save some $, but take a cab home about $10. Cabs are available all over the strip at night due to hotels/clubs. DRinks at the coronet are about $6, same drink on the strip about $11-14.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:34 AM

You'll need to drive for the following, but not very far:
--Shopping on 3rd Street (not 3rd Street Promenade, just 3rd Street). Many cool L.A.-only boutiques.

--Veronica M on Beverly/La Brea--cute Los Angeles clothes at reasonable prices.

--Dinner at AOC or Grace

--Lunch at El Coyote Mexican Restaurant
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:12 PM

i agree with 'gellars' re 3rd street shopping. Check out Polkadots and Moonbeams, actually two stores, both worth a look. Lots of other shoppes and cute coffee houses nearby, too.

www.polkadotsandmoonbeams.com

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:22 PM

One thing-- please, do NOT go to lunch at El Coyote Mexican Restaurant. Consistently the worst Mexican eatery in LA (well, maybe tied with El Compadre)-- a city known for superb Mexican food.

Make a trip to Palms (not that far, actually) for some mole oaxaqueño at La Guelaguetza if you want good Mexican. The Santa Monica La Serenata de Garibaldi is better than El Coyote. I'd do fish tacos at the nearest Rubio's before going to El Coyote!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:44 PM

As a native Angeleno, I happen to like cheap family-owned Mexican places and think they are a highlight of L.A. dining. Not into Oaxacan cuisine or fawncy Mexican in L.A., sorry. Plus El Coyote is close by and fun for 30somethings looking for a scene.

Actually, my favorite Mexican joint is the family-owned Mucho Mas in Burbank, but that's too far of a drive.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Glad you're a native, Gellers, and I happen to agree that the family-owned cheap Mexican joints are often a joy (I've got several near my house and I treasure them all). When the food's good. And El Coyote's food isn't any good. However, it IS a scene-- especially for 20-somethings downing margaritas on their way to the clubs on weekend nights. But why not recommend something a little better for visitors, to elevate their experience a bit?
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Dude, I don't think it's that bad. (Shrug) Gotta agree to disagree. BTW, I'm 36 and I have a good time there.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Oh, just remembered--if you want some real cheap, gutwrenching Mexican near where you are staying...Benitos taco stand! Oh yeah! Get the veggie burrito and you shouldn't be in too much pain .
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM

What about Tito's? If you're going to try an L.A. Mexican hot spot - Tito's has got to be a good choice:
http://www.titostacos.com/
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:10 PM

Are you guys trying to make them sick?! Gawd, they are both awful. Why not throw in the Pantry for good measure.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Oh, I love Tito's...but kind of a far drive for them.

Disclaimer: I have a steel gut when it comes to this kind of delicacy.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:40 PM

Really, El Coyote isn't that bad. No, it's not the best Mexican food in town, but it's fun, close to where these ladies are staying, and serves up some fabulous margaritas. Totally reasonable suggestion.

I second the recommendation of AOC. It's not cheap, and you'll need a reservation, but the food is *excellent*.

You might like Dominick's (on Beverly) for dinner/drinks. It's not too far from your hotel. Joan's on Third is great for lunch. Urth Cafe on Melrose isn't far from you-- wonderful breakfast/brunch. And I love sitting around with my girlfriends at Elixir, a little tea house/garden right across from Urth Cafe on Melrose.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 07:28 PM

BTW, I thought about this thread and sorry if I came off a tetch rude. The fact of the matter is, though--being a 30something chick myself, I just gave advice on what I would want.

On a girls' weekend in a new city with limited time to spare: Would I want to drive some distance to Palms (negative-zero ambience part of the city) to eat at a zero-ambience restaurant, just so I can get some good mole sauce? I'm not being rude--the answer is no.

I've eaten at La Cascada and it's fine for what it is, but I don't really think it's worth the drive to SM either. I'm not a big fan of carefully prepared Mexican food. I think L.A. does the quick-and-greasy Mexican food better than any city save Santa Fe.

If the women in question specifically stated they were foodies, that would be a different story.

As it is, though, I recommended what is, actually, an L.A. institution that's been around for a loooong time. Serves decent cheapo Mexican food (it's not like I recommended El Torito, for heaven's sake). And it has a fun, lively atmosphere; good drinks; and is in the area the girls are staying in.

So, sorry if I was rude. I got a little hackled.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Sorry, meant La Serenada. (Drinking a margarita...just kidding..wine.)
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Oh--and I HATE the Pantry. USC class of '93 and I have no idea what people see in that hole. It's way out of the way, anyway.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 08:10 PM

No!! Who recommended The Pantry?!?! Ewww! Don't go there. Don't go anywhere near there.

I personally can't stand El Coyote or Tito's-- if you want cheap, greasy, delish Mexican, try Lucy's at the corner of Venice Ave and La Brea. Further South, but wonderful!

AOC is one of the best in the city. Great rec!

Not only 3rd Street for cutesy shops, but Beverly, and Melrose. Basically, 3rd, Beverly, and Melrose from La Brea almost down to La Cienega-- great little shops the whole way. You could spend your whole time on those three streets. I do! (My hood!)

The Farmer's Market at the Grove has cheapie tasty eats. There's an In N Out Burger on Hollywood or Sunset that's open really late. Off La Brea, right? It's kind of the happening one.

Drinks will run you $8- $14 depending, breakfast and lunch $20/pp mostly if you're doing sit down, and dinner $30-$40+/pp.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 09:00 PM

Gellers - You can use a Trojan only once but a Bruin lasts forever. GO BRUINS! UCLA 13 USC 10 RIP.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 12:01 AM

U...C...L...A...U-C-L-A FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! I'm a current Bruin, so I'll throw in the In-N-Out on Gayley. While you're at it, stop by Diddy Reese for a Bruin institution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -