Los Angeles - taxi vs rental

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles - taxi vs rental

Staying one day and night in La. Trying to decide weather to stay in Santa Monica or Beverly Hill. How far of a cab ride is it to BH's from Santa Monica ? Any suggestion on places to stay and dine in both lacations ? Is it worth it to rent a car or just cab it...
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Nobody
cabs
in
L.A.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Rent a car, but do not rent it at the airport. The additional airport fees are high.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Rent a car, but do not rent it at the airport. The additional airport fees are high.

Maybe, but for one day, it can't be more than paying a cab to take you someplace else to rent a car.

As tracys2cents said, taking cabs in LA is not a workable option. Distances are huge (which will add to the cost) and cabs are hard to find.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For cities where you truly need a car, I consider Los Angeles right at the top of the list!! Rent the car. A cab is not a feasible option for LA.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 11:30 AM

It would help to know the purpose of your trip to give best advice and we need a budget for hotel recos and restaurants. Depending on your plans, I'm not sure I agree with the advice you've gotten. While it's true that no one there takes cabs, you don't live there and if you're used to driving on the other side of the road, I can understand your wanting to avoid the stress of a rental car. It is true though that a cab b/w Santa Monica and BH will be very costly, but if cost isn't an issue and convenience is, that's another story.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Given a distance between downtown Santa Monica & the heart of Beverly Hills of a little over eight miles, that equates to roughly $20 or so in cab fare one-way, without tip or time delay charges. And there will be time delay charges.

It's not THAT hard to find cabs in SM and BH, but my suggestion is to pick one place and stay there. You'll find plenty to occupy your day in either place. A search on this Forum will yield a huge amount of information.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sure you can get around with other means if there is a big reason you don't want to rent a car (but I didn't get that from your original post).
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 01:59 PM
MaureenB

I agree that L.A. is one city where you need a rental car. And check the parking available at whatever hotel you choose. The Westin in Century City, where we stayed last spring, charged about $25/day for the car.
For suggestions on restaurants, you'll need to narrow down the areas of L.A. you're going to be in. Then you'll get lots of recommendations from posters.

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 03:50 PM

I am usually one of the first to say you absolutely need a car in Los Angeles. But as rjw said, there are taxis in the Santa Monica and Beverly Hills area. If the OP stays in Beverly Hills and wants to go to the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica for one night, the cab would be around $40 per rjw's info. If it costs $25 to park your car and you really don't need it otherwise, then the bottom line to take a taxi instead is $15.

I am sure the hotel where you are staying could arrange a taxi for you. Just realize, though, that when you are ready to come home, you may not be able to go to the corner and flag down a taxi in the LA area like you can in many big cities. However, the taxi driver could give you a card with a number to call when you are ready to go home. I was in SM last evening around the Promenade area and did see taxis there.