Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Los Angeles Riches (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/los-angeles-riches-1671326/)

DGCommittee Sep 1st, 2019 04:23 PM

Los Angeles Riches

Just moved to Pacific Palisades and walked around eating ice cream in Caruso Village. It is beautiful! What else is around here?

Christina Sep 4th, 2019 12:21 PM

Why'd you move there? I used to play piano in that area for a dance studio (Ballet COnservatory West). A lot of famous people live there. It's just a nice residential area, what do you expect.

what do you mean, what else is around. All of LA, the beaches, Santa Monica, Will Rogers state park, the Getty villa, Malibu, etc.

suze Sep 4th, 2019 03:32 PM

Santa Monica?
Venice Beach?
Malibu?
downtown Los Angeles?

maitaitom Sep 5th, 2019 04:04 PM

Try going to the Getty Villa ... Report with photos in link below.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/the...fic-palisades/

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...296a2a6808.jpg

MoBro Sep 5th, 2019 06:46 PM

It’s hard to answer such a general question.

Yes, to the Getty Vila. It’s very special. Beautiful views. Have lunch on the patio.

We like to visit the Will Rogers polo field and ranch, off Sunset Blvd. We were there last month, in fact. The inside of the ranch house has so much Western art and artifacts, it’s really interesting. Gorgeous property for hiking, too.

Pacific Palisades is a stunning location, with easy access to lots of cool restaurants and sites.

MoBro Sep 6th, 2019 01:08 PM

Just remembered a fun beachside place to eat: Paradise Cove Beach Cafe, at Malibu. www.ParadiseCoveMalibu.com

We were there a week or so ago for dinner, and I just received the postcard I'd mailed from there. They provide the cards and the postage. It's got seating on the sand, as well as inside. Great place for a group, as they have some huge menu items.

Going there is a good way to save money on parking, if you want to visit the beach. I think it was $8 to park with restaurant validation, but up to $40 without it.
Even the ocean isn't free anymore, peeps.

mlgb Sep 6th, 2019 02:23 PM

Not much in the Palisades itself but don't miss the Self-Realization Fellowship Lake Shrine which has a nice garden and is free. BTW the Palisades isn't a city, it's part of the City of Los Angeles. Malibu and Santa Monica are their own cities.

If you go to Malibu, there's the Lagoon, Pier and Adamson House. Lots of shopping and free parking at Cross Creek Around the back of Cross Creek is Legacy Park with some nice trails and mosaic animal sculptures.

There is free parking on Pacific Coast Highway if there's space. Pay lots are available if you don't get up up early enough. To park at the Lagoon State Park, I believe it's $12 all day. It also gets you parking up at Malibu Creek State Park.

MoBro Sep 6th, 2019 02:37 PM

mlgb, do you know the name of the mansion you can tour, that's oceanside, just below Pacific Cove Beach Cafe, I think. It belonged to the family who created tiles for many years there. It's very low-key, but we enjoyed it.

Edited to answer my own question: http://www.adamsonhouse.org/visit.php
I see you already recommended it, mlgb.

Surfergirl Sep 7th, 2019 06:58 AM

Haven't been to the Palisades for about 6 months, but there's a few things in the area I'd recommend.

First, Rustic Canyon Park. Yes, it's just a neighborhood park, but smells like you are in the woods.
Second, Rustic Canyon Trail and Hidden Waterfall.
Third, a visit to the Eames House and tour. See https://eamesfoundation.org/visit/how-to-visit/ In fact, there's a number of architectural homes in the Palisades and Malibu worth a walk or drive by, but Eames you can now actually visit!

And although located in Santa Monica Canyon (Palisades adjacent), the Golden Bull on Channel Road for a drink and a meal is not to be missed. I actually preferred it in vibe before the recent remodel, but the new menu is great!

DGCommittee Sep 12th, 2019 03:13 PM

Stellar recommendations!! Are you guys locals?
The Eames is very near me I haven't been! And I can't believe this fall is my 20th year in LA.
Half of the recs I haven't been to but I loved the Getty Villa at night! Next time I go back it'll be during the day. Thanks for the lovely report. I really enjoyed it.

mlgb Sep 12th, 2019 09:47 PM

Some of us still live in Southern California, some of us used to (decades ago) and some visit regularly, if I have it right.

I have lived and worked here since 1970, with a two-year break for grad school. I had some work assignments which covered the Palisades for a few years. I know Malibu a bit better, and still go out there a few times a year for the Lagoon, and as a convenient meeting spot for a group of work friends spread between Camarillo and Long Beach. We use the Marmalade Cafe in the Cross Creek Center. It's a small chain but we aren't burned out with them, everyone has difficulty deciding what to order (a good sign IMO), great service and not expensive. Plus lots of parking especially during the week.

Parking for the Getty is good for both museums on the same day. You now only need a reservation for the one in Malibu. If you go to the Brentwood Getty, stop in to the Skirball Center (free parking, free on Thursdays, first come first serve). They are well known for the kid's section (Noah's Ark) but I think the rest of the exhibits are also well done (check their upcoming special exhibition starting in mid October. The gift shop is pretty good. The cafe is currently closed with no reopen date, but it was also good.

clarkgriswold Sep 13th, 2019 10:28 AM

Sweet Rose Creamery on Monument Street
Parker Mesa Overlook
Tuna Canyon Park
Café Vida

Surfergirl Sep 13th, 2019 11:58 AM

Yes, I live in Westwood. Grew up here, moved away twice, returned in '86 and have been on the Westside ever since. Never lived in the Palisades, but have always had friends who lived or live there. Furthest west I've lived was Brentwood.

janisj Sep 13th, 2019 03:49 PM

surfergirl: I had no idea the Eames house was open. Thanks! I met Ray twice back in the early 80's when she was up here giving talks at the Crocker and at UC Davis. I've always been fascinated by their designs.

Surfergirl Sep 13th, 2019 05:15 PM

Janis, you are welcome!

DGCommittee Sep 21st, 2019 12:15 PM

Parker Mesa Overlook! That was actually the only reason I'd come to Pacific Palisades back in the day. I loved hiking that trail via Los Leones. I must say that is definitely one of the riches of Los Angeles.

Juxtaposition --

What's the most depressing issue in LA that needs immediate awareness? Bonus if it's travel related.

And how do you propose it is solved?

Jean Sep 21st, 2019 01:13 PM

Homelessness. I'm stumped for a solution as there are so many reasons/causes. Throwing money at the problem seems to help in the short term but doesn't address every issue and certainly doesn't ultimately "solve" it.

On a mundane level, littering. It's everywhere, but especially visible at freeway on- and off-ramps. In the nooks and fringes that aren't claimed by any business/resident/municipality, L.A. is beginning to look Third World-ish. Friends in S.F. say the same thing about their city.

clarkgriswold Sep 21st, 2019 06:19 PM

One way to help with the homelessness issue is to build affordable housing for all of those who are one or two paychecks away from being homeless. The "section 8" program has been a mess for quite some time and needs a fixin'

DGCommittee Oct 9th, 2019 11:48 AM

There's not enough housing and it's too easy to become homeless in California especially the Bay Area and Los Angeles from what I've seen and experienced personally. I think on a political level there's plenty that needs to be done. The stigma doesn't help. From a humane perspective the whole thing is a catastrophic emergency from which I feel I'm slowly growing immunity from. I mean I walk by homeless people see them on the street feel sadness and do nothing. Like nothing. Sometimes I'll give them money. What's worse is when I see people on tv say why are they in our neighborhood???? Well where the hell are they supposed to go! If I were homeless you think I'd go to the freezing cold parts of California? No dude I'd park myself right where I can have an ocean view.

I feel a burning compulsion to paint my new views. Like Bob Ross style lol I've never painted. Where do I buy paints? Any suggestions for amazing paint stores in LA? Any painters in the house with advice?

How do I start a non profit?

How about we play a game called Raising Money for the Homeless in LA?

Let's auction a little gift from me and 100% of the proceeds go to the homeless!
Think of which organization we should give the money to?
We will figure out a way to mail it to you or leave it for you if you want to remain incognito.
I'm open to suggestions!

The gift auction starts at $1.00 and can end at any time.

Any takers?

DGCommittee Oct 24th, 2019 09:31 PM

I had to evacuate!!!
This is not the first time either since moving in. I am no longer in the city where sirens abound. This is a stark reckoning that I am now in the boonies of LA.
Discovered a new place during all the commotion
https://www.broadstreetoyster.com

A huge and sincere thank you to all the hot firefighters who saved our homes from burning down.

Not over though. I'm smelling smoke again