Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles hotel, which area?

Search

Los Angeles hotel, which area?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2018, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not really a big fan of the Loew's neighborhood.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another not-a-fan of the Hollywood/Highland location.

For someone who hasn't been to L.A. in 30 years, DTLA would be a revelation.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 08:04 AM

Isn't it a little ironic, that someone who would take a friend's word that downtown is dangerous would also then book at Hollywood/Highland?

Have a good trip whatever you do OP.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 08:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Years ago we stayed at the Hyatt West Hollywood (now the Andaz). We liked it a lot. Just wondering for those familiar with LA, how is that area now?
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Her friend didn't say 'dangerous' mlgb, but uncomfortable. Many places that are perfectly safe can feel uncomfortable for a solo traveler at night, and we all have a right to feel comfortable when on vacation. It might be more helpful to advise the OP on how to feel more comfortable there, such as taking a shared Uber at 10:30pm after a show......or information on hotels that have local car service within a couple of miles.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 10:43 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
By the way, if you're downtown, check out the Central Library. Gorgeous building with free tours. Maybe you'll get a private one like I received.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/22655-2/
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 01:34 PM

I gave her plenty of advice on where to stay and how to get around.. Staying at Hollywood and Highland and riding the Metro from there will likely feel far less "comfortable". You don't need a car service to walk two blocks to the Broad or to the Bradbury building. Or to the myriad restaurants within a block or two of the Omni. It didn't sound to me that she needed help learning how to use a taxi or Uber. Taking a shared Uber would not make me feel more "comfortable" Only that someone who likely doesn't know LA very well told her not to stay downtown.

Last edited by mlgb; Aug 15th, 2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 04:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We are booked at The Elan Hotel this Fall. It’s by the Beverly Center, on Beverly Blvd.
Might that be a good location for the OP?

It’s a boutique I picked by location, price, plus included breakfast & cocktail hour.
It also has lots of great reviews.
http://greystonehotels.mclinks.conta...3384effc04d39e
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 04:54 PM

Certainly better than Hollywood and Highland, but OP won't have a car and hasn't expressed any interest in sights in that immediate vicinity.
Old Aug 17th, 2018, 01:38 PM

I'd stay somewhere near Staples Center. It's busy at night. It has all the local connections...bus & metro stopping right in front of it. And there's a ton of great restaurants close by. Just take an Uber to Santa Monica/Venice for part of the day.
Old Aug 17th, 2018, 03:15 PM

Our favorite restaurant in downtown L.A. (Arts District.. short Uber ride). Been here many times... Officine Brera

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/22424-2/

Old Aug 17th, 2018, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jean
"4 days is a lot for DTLA."

I disagree.

Ahmanson Theater
Mark Taper Forum
Dorothy Chandler Pavilion
Disney Hall
REDCAT Theater
Microsoft Theater
Grammy Museum and Stage
Ace Theater
Staples Center
Broad Museum (closes 8:00p Thursday thru Sunday)
MOCA (closes 8:00p Thursdays)
Japanese American Museum
Grand Central Market
Angel's Flight
Central Library
The Last Bookstore
Also, the Bradbury Building, Hauser and Wirth Gallery, Grand Park, Little Tokyo, Chinatown. Travel a little bit south of DTLA and you have California Science Center (see the Space Shuttle Endeavor) and Natural History Museum. Not to mention the restaurant scene is booming there (Majordomo, Bavel, Bestia, Spring, Otium etc.)
Yeah, LA has more to see and do even in this small section than you’ll find in most American cities. I’d be completely satisfied just doing things in this immediate vicinity. I know others who want to see and do “everything” and then 4 days would be too much for DTLA.

To be frank, the discomfort at night is because there are a lot of homeless people in DTLA.

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold

You could do The Broad one morning followed by the (rather lame in my opinion) Grand Central Market, and get to a late afternoon WB Tour same day if you wanted to stay in Santa Monica and cut your "travel days" a bit. T.
Really? I think Grand Central Market is one of the highlights of LA, because it gives you a small taste of the diverse food landscape of the city in a market that’s been around for 101 years. Plus, it’s a vibrant place to hang out.

BTW, if you do stay in DTLA, I’d recommend Ace Hotel or Nomad LA, boutique hotels in grand historic buildings that are a sight to see unto itself.

Last edited by savvysearch; Aug 17th, 2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old Aug 17th, 2018, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Iwan2go
I’m not very familiar with the Metrolink, but know that my son, who lives in Pasadena, uses it ALL the time to go to LA. And Pasadena fits your preference for a place with restaurants, easy walkability, etc.

just throwing it out as as an option - there are lovely museums and parks (the Norton Simon, the Huntington Library), and its a great city.

I'm from Pasadena and I agree that it's a great city. I've lived here since I was a child.

When my two Danish friends came to visit, 13 years ago, I sent them off on the Metro Link Gold Line as I was at work and couldn't take them out all day every day. They weren't used to big cities, but managed fine and loved staying here in Pasadena. I suggested that they stay at the Courtyard Marriott Hotel. When one steps out the front door of the Courtyard Marriott hotel, one is in the middle of the restaurants/shopping in Old Town Pasadena and right at the bus lines and it's quite safe. I even walk around in Downtown Pasadena at night and sometimes walk to and from Downtown Pasadena from home. We have so many outdoor events here that I end up out at night and going to them.

If it was a day that I had to work evenings, then my two friends went out and ate, shopped, etc at night here in Pasadena and said that they had a really good time and that if they were to come back to L.A., they'd stay here again as they commented that it was really friendly and also relaxing to come back here, after a long day of being out and about in L.A. Plus, a really big selection of restaurants were right there out the front door of their hotel.

The back of the Courtyard Marriott Hotel is across the street from the Memorial Park Metro Link Gold Line stop. Convenient. Plus, there's a bus to Hollywood as years ago, I had to take it to work, for a while, when my car went out. Buses run out Colorado Blvd (east/west) which is about a 3-minute walk from the hotel.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Pasadena-...llywood-CA-USA

My friends easily went from Pasadena to Downtown L.A. and also figured out how to go between the Metro Link train system and the subway system and did Hollywood, Universal Studios, and part of The Valley, using public transportation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Metro_Rail

I drove them to both Santa Monica and Malibu one weekend, but they probably could have figured out how to get to Santa Monica using public transportation. Years ago, I once took the bus from Pasadena to Santa Monica, out of curiosity, to try it out and this was before either the Metro Link train system or the subway system even existed and therefore it entailed taking the bus the whole way.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Aug 17th, 2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 03:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pasadena also has express bus 501 to the Warner Brothers Studio tour. Takes about 22 minutes and stops just twice along the way..

​​​​​​​downtown LA sounds just fabulous, I wonder how many of the locals have done four night staycations there when they need a little time away?
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 03:24 PM

(Majordomo, Bavel, Bestia, Spring, Otium etc.)

Spring is about to be sprung ... closing at the end of the month. Owners still have Church & State in the Arts District. We also really like Manuela. So many terrific DTLA restaurants now.
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 08:11 AM

Many of us live or work close enough to downtown to visit without staying overnight. I commuted to downtown for 15 years and still visit.

I have spent a fair amount of time in the lobbys and restaurants of many of the downtown hotels although I think I only overnighted once, when the Bonaventure was nearly new and a big deal!.

Last edited by mlgb; Aug 20th, 2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 11:08 PM

Travelling suggestion

Hey,

I need some suggestion for hotels in Los Angeles, I am planning to go there with my family...
Please suggest me something about it????
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by mentabor19; Aug 30th, 2018 at 11:09 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 07:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
mentabor19, you need to give us much more information.

What time of year?
What are your sightseeing plans?
Do you need a hotel that offers large rooms for 3-4 people?
What is your hotel budget per night?
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 12:20 PM

And you need to start your own thread!
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 09:38 AM

Beverly Hills and Santa Monica are two of the best LA neighborhoods for you. Beverly Hills is centrally located and has beaches and restaurants in close proximity. Santa Monica is recommended for nightlife and restaurants.