Los Angeles holiday trip with 11-year-old

Old Nov 30th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles holiday trip with 11-year-old

A friend is planning a trip to Los Angeles with her 11-year old son, arriving late on Christmas day and leaving 12-31. They will be staying in the western part of Los Angeles (she said Westlake area). She is interested in holiday sights or activities that her son might enjoy, in greater Los Angeles or Santa Barbara. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 02:55 PM

The Getty has a children's area, and they have guided "family" tours of the museum scheduled for 1pm daily that week, closed Dec 25 and Jan 1.

www.getty.edu
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 06:12 PM

She's probably staying in Westlake Village, an upscale suburban community in Ventura County, about 40 miles from LA proper. Just something to keep in mind when planning her travel. The other Westlake isn't a touristy area but is more part of central/downtown LA.

Some ideas: Griffith Park hosts the Dept. of Power's light display. You drive through an amazing display of holiday scenes done in lights. It's pretty hokey and if you don't hit the right times, you'll wait a while, but since you stay in your car, you can drink hot chocolate, sing Xmas songs with the car radio and enjoy the outing.

Newport's parade of boats will sadly end on December 19th but you can still see the decorated houses along the harbor.

Many sites will offer outdoor iceskating for the season (downtown LA, Beverly Hills, Century City, etc) but if you are coming from cold weather climes that probably isn't very interesting.

Sunset Stables offers horseback riding near Griffith Park and right underneath the Hollywood sign. $20 for an hour of riding with a guide.

Disneyland usually has some fun Xmas events, like a special themed parade.

And many restaurants offer tamales as a special dish for the holidays. Yumm!

now closer to Santa Barbara is the city of Solvang, offering what they call a Winterfest celebration. It's kind of turned into a shopping outlet paradise but maybe it's worth researching.

In Santa Barbara, the famous horse whisperer, Monty Roberts, gives a demonstration each Saturday. (according to a weblisting). Here's the number they list:805-688-6288

Santa Barbara is also known for their weekend arts festival. Your friend and her son would enjoy looking at the artworks and meeting the arts. No need to buy but they do have lovely things.

Ojai is a charming little town in the hills above Santa Barbara with a few spas (notably the Ojai Valley Inn) and a famous used bookstore that operates on the honor system after hours. Bookshelves are on the sidewalk and you deposit the money for anything you take.

Also lovely are the many whale watching trips that leave from Ventura or Santa Barbara. Here's a number to call: 805-962-2826

If we knew more about her son's interests, i'm sure this group could offer more. Thanks!

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:27 PM
lvk

Aloha,

Six Flags Magic Mountain and Universal Studios are 2 theme parks that aren't too far from Westlake.

Also, if he is interested in playing in the snow, we've gotten quite a bit in the Southern Cal. Mountains thus far this season. Wrightwood would be the closest mountain resort. Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear are a little farther out.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:58 PM

I assume she's thought of the obvious one -- Disneyland. My children also enjoyed Universal Studios, visiting the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood and seeing the stars' hand and footprints, and the LaBrea Tar Pits (great for science reports.)
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:02 PM

The La Brea Tar Pits, absolutely!
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the replies and good ideas.

I think the son has a pretty wide range of interests--I know he has been in some community theater productions and does puppetry. He also is interested in animals and has several pets. He's very physically active and has a lot of energy. We live in the midwest, and have already had snow, so I don't know that she will want to seek out snow in CA, but I will pass on all suggestions.

She told me she was thinking of going to La Brea tar pits, but her friends who live in the area had told her it wasn't worth going to. It sounds like Fodorites think that would be of interest, so she will be glad to hear that.

Please keep the great suggestions coming---thanks again!

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 11 year old is crazy about the Museum of Natural History. The Museum of Science and Industry is nearby and worth a visit. The Petersen Auto Museum if he's into classic cars. And definitely the Getty.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:45 AM
lvk

Aloha,

Funny how we make assumptions. By your screen name, I assumed that your friends were coming from Hawaii .

Since they're coming from the midwest, then I would suggest a bike ride along a beach bike path, either in Santa Barbara, Ventura, or LA area. Make sure the Mom takes a picture of him on his bike in front of some festively decorated landmark with the Pacific sparkling in the background.