Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Los Angeles Chow (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/los-angeles-chow-337895/)

b2kids Jul 16th, 2003 05:20 PM

Los Angeles Chow

Looking for some Los Angeles restaurant recommendations suitable (and, of course, really fun) for family w/ three teenagers (18). Trying to avoid the chains like Planet Hollywood and Hard Rock Cafe. Our hotel is in West Hollywood, although we are willing to drive. Any and all ideas appreciated -- thanks!

Deborah Jul 16th, 2003 08:21 PM

Hi there. I live in LA and I'll make a couple of suggestions. There is a new bowling alley/restaurant in the Highland and Hollywood Complex called Lucky Strike. Could be fun for bowling and a bite. CityWalk at Universal is always fun to stroll and there are quite a few restaurants up there. The Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica is fun to walk and there are restaurants there. El Coyote on Beverly is also fun. Not the greatest Mexican food, but you can't beat the price and it's always a scene. Have fun here in LA.

Surfergirl Jul 17th, 2003 04:48 AM

Are all three teens 18?

Well, Planet Hollywood in Bev. Hills closed down anyway, so you don't have to be trapped going there!

Assuming your teens are typical music loving types, I'll go out on a limb and suggest a couple places on the Strip, other than the House of Blues, which has okay food, but is a lot of fun to go, eat and see a show. Right next to the Roxy is the Rainbow, which has an interesting clientele, good pizza and other southern italian fare, and later in the evening dancing upstairs (but I think you have to be 21 to get up there). Also, the Key Club has surprisingly good food upstairs; you might be able to get into the Plush Lounge downstairs as well, I don't know. The live music there is eclectic to say the least, but has some of the best accoustics in town, so seeing a show there is great, especially sitting upstairs dining.

Non-music dining: High end is Asia de Cuba at the Mondrian for food and people watching. Le Petit Bistro on La Cienega is a fun place, albeit crowded, if you like good french food that doesn't break the bank.

Gardyloo Jul 17th, 2003 06:15 AM

A couple of places close enough to West Hollywood - Mel's Diner on Sunset, Pink's Hot Dogs on La Brea. Not really American Graffiti, but close enough (Mel's).

Downtown, try Phillipe's the Original right around the corner from Olvera Street - allegedly the inventor of the French Dip, although contested by another ancient downtown cafe. Very cool place. Olvera St. itself isn't all that bad, either.

For a late breakfast and/or lunch (they're teens), head down to Hermosa Beach and hit Martha's 22nd St. - yards from the sand, killer breakfasts, walk it off on the Strand.

Hamburger Hamlet - several locations, still good. Nate 'n Al's in BH for possible breakfast/lunch movie types spotting, Canter's Deli (Fairfax, very close to West Hollywood) for fabulous deli, bakery, characters.

mdv Jul 17th, 2003 08:52 AM

The Farmers' Market (3rd and Fairfax) has just about every kind of cuisine imaginable. French (crepes, or Monsieur Marcel's), Mexican (Loteria -excellent), Maylasian( Banana Leaf), burgers, sandwiches, Cajun, etc. Good place for lunch, breakfast, or a casual dinner. Joan's on Third-upscale gourmet deli is also a great place for lunch.

SydneyLA Jul 18th, 2003 10:46 AM

The Farmers Market at 3rd and Fairfax is a great option -- one of my favorite places in LA (despite the new adjacent mall, the Farmers Market is one of the few truly unique LA experiences). There are many choices for food, so I'm sure the 18 year olds will find something they like.

I also like Highland Grounds, which is on Highland just north of Melrose (East side of street). It's kind of a coffee shop/restaurant/bar place with indoor and outdoor patio seating. At night they have music, which might be fun for them. Their meals are very good, pretty healthy, and relatively cheap. They've got great breakfasts too -- go on a weekend morning - it's packed. This is a great place that's definitely a little off the beaten track, but has a great, young, Hollywood feel to it. It's also not too far from West Hollywood.

Check out the many restaurants along Melrose between Fairfax and LaBrea...you'll find plenty to choose from in all price ranges. Lala's is a hip Argentinian restaurant with an outdoor patio -- great food and very reasonably priced. You can walk from there to the Groundlings - a great Improv comedy theater right down the street on Melrose.