Los Angeles area with teenagers

Mar 16th, 2006, 05:03 AM
jkm
Original Poster

Los Angeles area with teenagers

We're traveling to LA in April with a 15 and 17 year old and are looking for places to stay/things to do in the LA area including Laguna Beach or Hermosa Beach.
Mar 16th, 2006, 05:38 AM
lvk

You need to help us out here. What are their interests? What was is that made you decide on LA? Beaches? Theme Parks? Hollywood attractions? Museums? Sports? How long will you be staying?

There are lots of LA locals and visitors that will be glad to help you out, but we need more info.

It is not really "beach weather" in April, but a bike ride or skate on the Strand is nice any time of year.
Mar 16th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Bike riding along the beach and a Dodger's game come to mind.
Mar 16th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Laguna Riviera on Laguna Beach, Sea Sprite Motel on Hermosa Beach, Hotel Angeleno in L.A/Beverly Hills.

Be sure to visit the Museum of Jurassic Technology in Venice and the Getty Museum...then either the Universal Studios Tour (lots of rides and attractions) or the Warner Brothers Tour (more behind the scenes stuff/ set construction etc)
Mar 16th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Don't miss Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier, Hollywood, Rodeo Drive in BH, and the Farmers Market...
Mar 16th, 2006, 08:31 AM

The Petersen Auto Museum could be fun, if the teenagers are car-oriented. Shopping on Melrose Ave. in Hollywood is always a trip. Hit the Guitar Center store on Sunset, or Tower Records on Sunset-- you never know who will be riffing on a shiny Les Paul guitar (at the former) or shopping for an import Miles Davis CD (at the latter). The Strand is a great idea, as is the Venice boardwalk (surfergirl's idea of renting bikes is great). The Getty Center is architecturally notable, and the views and grounds are lovely, but as a museum it's a little spotty. The Norton Simon (Pasadena), MOCA (downtown LA) and LACMA (Miracle Mile) are all better museums per se. tracy's suggestions are all good too.

Huntington Beach around the Pier is Teen Heaven; surf shops, coffeehouses, fast-food joints and more teens than an Abercrombie and Fitch closeout sale. Laguna Beach is ritzy, but historically more an artists' community (and therefore skewing more adult), despite that dreadful MTV series suggesting otherwise. Just so you're aware, those are in Orange County, miles away from LA-area attractions.
Mar 16th, 2006, 01:23 PM
jkm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, we're staying for a week so may want to travel to Santa Barbara or Palm Springs. Any suggestions?
Mar 16th, 2006, 06:51 PM

The teens would probably love Palm Springs at that time of year -- great weather and lots of pool lounging, although if it's over Spring Break, watch out! On the other hand, Santa Barbara, which I always think as more interesting for older folks, could possibly be fun for the teens if you head out to IV by UCSB.
Mar 17th, 2006, 02:02 PM
jkm
Original Poster

Where would you recommend staying in Palm Springs for a couple of days?
Mar 17th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Resort-type hotels that you can look into include Westin Mission Hills (I've heard kids like that pool), Marriott Desert Springs (kids like the gondola, I think that resort is just too huge), or La Quinta Resort (a bit far away from Palm Springs, but nice).

Another option is a condo, if you are staying more than a few days. Palm Valley (I think they rent under Resort Quest) is a good one for families.

Mar 17th, 2006, 03:09 PM

My kids insisted on a day at Six Flags Magic Mountain. It is known for its "Extreme" rides. They enjoyed it very much, I, on the other hand, watched.
Mar 17th, 2006, 03:57 PM
jd

In Hermosa Beach we like to stay at the Beach House www.beach-house.com.
Santa Barbara is really nice, but we always enjoy going inland for the warm weather in April to Palm Desert. We really like the JW Marriott Desert Springs. The pools and grounds are SO nice.
Mar 17th, 2006, 05:18 PM

With a family including teens, check out the Marriott Residence Inn in Manhattan Beach for extra room. It's located right next to Hermosa Beach. Lots of activities to do between the two beaches. Watch the surfers, rollerblading, bike riding on the Strand, etc.
http://marriott.com/property/propert...9A42780%25257d

I would also go to the desert for a couple days. If you are coming during Easter vacation, you might have a hard time finding reservations. Palm Springs probably is all reserved for The White Party, when thousands of people come to the city.
Check out the La Quinta Resort, the grounds are fantastic.
Mar 18th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Laguna Beach isn't really "the L.A. area." It's about an hour and 15 minutes drive south of L.A. You could definitely do a day trip down there-- it's a very scenic area. Even if it's cold, there's always people out on the beach playing volleyball and such.

Hermosa Beach is about a half hour's drive south of L.A. I think an afternoon here is plenty, but you don't really need to make a separate trip here, especially if you're going to Laguna. If you're interested in seeing beaches, you should definitely take the teens down to Santa Monica and hang out on the Pier, walk along the Third Street Promenade, rent bikes/ rollerblades and head down the beach into Venice. I definitely think teens would like this area.

The kids might also like Universal Studios, The Grove/ The Farmers' Market, checking out Hollywood/ The Walk of Fame, etc. Take them to a movie at the Chinese Theatre-- it's awesome inside.

If you can talk them into a museum, The Getty Center doesn't take all day to see and has awesome views of the city. I would also highly recommend the tour at NBC or Warner Bros.-- even more than Universal Studios. It's really cool to go behind the scenes at a working studio, and both NBC and Warners have great tours.

You should also look into getting tickets to the taping of a TV show. Many shows require that attendees be 18, but not all of them. Check out the NBC website for Jay Leno show info and audiencesunlimited.com for other TV tapings.

The kids might enjoy having hot dogs at Pink's, the legendary stand on La Brea. Jerry's Famous Deli is also fun for teens- there are locations on Beverly Bl. and in Westwood.

Have fun!
Mar 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM
jkm
Original Poster

Any other recommendations for Palm Springs, I really think we would like to spend a few days there.
Mar 21st, 2006, 04:13 PM

The Marriott Residence in Palm Desert is good for a family. Kitchenette included, as well as free buffet hot breakfast in the dining room/lobby area.
You haven't mentioned your date in April, but I would avoid Palm Springs at Easter.

http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=CTDRI
Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:31 AM

My 16 yr old son and I spent a quick weekend at Manhattan Beach in Feb. and he loved it. We ate at the sushi bar at Octopus for dinner... really good and definitely on the list for the next trip.

We walked the Strand from Manhattan Beach to Hermosa Beach and back and enjoyed lunch outside at Hennessey's in MB (there is one in Hermosa also). Lots of people playing volleyball and on their surfboards.

There are some fun boutiques for young trendy styles for both sexes in MB and HB. DS dropped a few hundred dollars of his savings at the Lucky store and he isn't usually what I would call "fashion conscious." There is a True Religion store opening in MB soon.

We enjoyed a morning at The Aquarium of the Pacific at the Long Beach Harbor. They have touch tanks where you can "pet" sharks, sting rays, and manta rays. You can also buy a cup of nectar to feed the lorakeets that perch up and down your arm. We were glad to be the first ones in to feed them while they were hungry.

We got there at 9am and were pretty much alone while we toured the exhibits. When we wandered back past the aquarium at 2pm there were lines of people waiting to buy tickets.

Just outside of the aquarium are boat docks. We were there during whale watching season so we did that. You can check www.longbeachcruises.com to see what kind of rides they offer during your stay. You might want to go to Catalina Island for the day.

DS was not impressed with Santa Monica Pier or the Third Street Promenade. They were both PACKED wall to wall with tourists. He commented that he felt like he was at the Indiana State Fair. The promenade has stores typically found at our local malls so we didn't go into many (except Zara which I'd only been to in Paris). I was glad we visited them but I won't go back again.

Depending on how fashion oriented your kids are they might like to window shop on Rodeo Drive. I love the Sergio Rossi and Stuart Weitzman shoe stores there.

I can't really help you with Laguna Beach except to suggest touring the grounds of the Montage and have lunch there. If your kids watch "The O.C." they might remember the Montage as the setting for Kristen and ???'s anniversary dinner.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:42 AM

Alot depends on the personalities and tastes, etc. of your two teens, but here's some suggestions from a mother who grew up in southern California, still likes kids stuff, and has shown the sites of So. Cal to many kids and teenagers over the years.
Since April is not prime beach weather in terms of consistently warm enough to lay out for long periods of time or go in the water (though inevitably we seem to have very warm Easters), I would recommend that most of your time be spent in LA, rather than Laguna or Hermosa (both of which are nice).. One week is not that long with so much available to see and do. Although the southern beach areas are nice, the LA beaches are better choices as "tourist" beaches for teens. With that in mind, I suggest the following:
1. Santa Monica and Venice beaches
--not to be missed. You easily spend one full day at each beach or do both in one day if you choose not to linger and relax (which I highly recommend). Santa Monica pier is great and so is 3rd Street for shopping, dining, etc. The Venice boardwalk can't be beat for unique sidewalk entertainers, people watching, and souveneir.
2. I personally would pass on the museums --I think the kids would be terribly bored (unless perhaps you go to something like the Hollywood Wax Museum or Ripley's Believe it Or Not).
3. California Adventure and/or Magic Mountain -- If you're considering a theme park, I would suggest one of these or both. California Adventure is next door to Disneyland, Magic Mtn is in Valencia which is about 20 minutes north of LA. Magic Mountain has the best thrill rides if the kids are into that and, if it's warm you can also pop into the Waterpark adjacent to it.)
4. Universal Studios - a day spent doing the tour with an evening at the Universal City Walk would certainly entertain the teens. Even if you opt not to do the Studios Tour (which is pretty fun for that age), they will absolutely love Universal Citywalk. It's a multimedia/entertainment/shopping/dining complex -- movie theatres, live concert venue, Hard Rock Cafe (very cool if they've never been), Hollywood Athletic Club pool hall, Jillian's Hi-Life bowling and game arcade, virtual reality game center, unique souvenier shops and kiosks, and a wide range of dining options (from fine to fast food).
5. A drive through Beverly Hills is definitely fun although walking Rodeo Blvd isn't really worthwhile unless you want to simply see ridiculously overpriced clothes and the like. If the teens are girls who are really into fashion duds and into celebrities (the likes of Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, etc), then Robertson Blvd in Beverly Hills is the place to stroll, particularly a store called "Kitson."
6. The Kodak Center at Hollywood and Highland in the heart of Hollywood is fun with some good stores, entertainment, food, etc. It's close right near the main strip along Hollywood Blvd that you must take a brief stroll down -- see the Mann's Chinese Theatre, the stars' handprints, catch a view of the Hollywood sign in the background, etc, and stars, etc.
7. The Grove -- some people mentioned Farmer's Market which is great and is adjacent to the Grove, a shopping, dining, movie complex that is beautiful.
8. Melrose Blvd. -- If the kids are into funky styles, or simply would enjoy the people watching, I would suggest you walk along Melrose which is a three or four block strip of really far out stores and chic young-Hollywood owned restaurants (Ashton Kutcher and the like) and a fun 50s style diner called Johnny Rockets.
9. Sunset Blvd. -- In the Hollywood, Beverly Hills vicinity (close to Kodak and to Rodeo), there is a hip strip along Sunset Blvd and a restaurant called the Chop House which is the hangout of all the reality TV stars (some of whom work there).
9. If you head to Palm Springs, which has nothing to do other than bask in the sun and in the pools at one of the many resorts or shop along the main drag or at the River, I highly recommend the Rancho Las Palmas Marriott in Rancho Mirage.
Hope this helps. Have fun!!