Los Angeles and vicinity deals on hotels

Aug 14th, 2001, 05:02 AM
ask

Los Angeles and vicinity deals on hotels

Anyone know a great and safe(not too expensive) place to stay in Los Angeles for someone traveling solo?

Aug 15th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Merilee

Try the Days Inn of Hollywood at 5410 Hollywood Blvd. (323)463-7171. They have an internet deal of $54.00. The rooms are nicely decorated and clean. There's even a clean pool and they give you a Continental breakfast. Parking is free. The neighborhood is fine and in the process of a renovation. You can walk to Mann's Chinese Theater. Within walking distance is the Los Feliz area of LA where there is a Starbucks, House of Pies, and other trendy cafes and restaurants. Don't miss Chicken and Waffles - although there's always a wait. Anyway, I saw people walking around alone and in groups at all times of the day and night. You just have to exercise caution as in an other city. Enjoy!

Aug 15th, 2001, 07:33 PM
Alisa

What are you planning to do in LA. I personally would not stay in Hollywood--pretty grungy in places.

Let me know and I will give you some ideas. Also--how much you want to spend.

Aug 16th, 2001, 10:54 AM
ask

Thanks so much for your tips! I'm actually only going to be there for one night so I think I'll stay near the airport. I didn't want to spend more than $100 and I'm not too sure of my way around.

Aug 16th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Don

Check out http://www.biddingfortravel.com for info on using Priceline to bid for a hotel room near LAX. People reporting on the Los Angeles hotel thread say that they've gotten 2* Homestead ($25+bonus), 3* Marriott ($33+bonus), and 4* Westin ($40--no bonus, which would've saved them $5) hotels in Priceline's LAX hotel zone.

Be sure to read the Hotel FAQs. And there's a link for $5/night Priceline hotel bonus money available on the Bonus Money Opportunities thread (in the Miscellaneous category), which saves you a little.

If you're looking for a specific hotel, don't use Priceline. But if you just want a hotel near LAX and are comfortable with a particular Priceline * rating, you can probably save some money by using Priceline.

Usual disclaimers apply--no vested interest in your using Priceline or the Web site mentioned above, yadda, yadda.

Enjoy your trip to LA!

Aug 16th, 2001, 11:05 PM
Alisa

If you are only in town for one night and want to do something, don't stay near the airport as there is not much to do around there. Stay in Santa Monica--go to smo.com for hotels. Then you will be close to the ocean and can go to third street to eat and look around. A cab or a shuttle can get you there pretty quick!

Aug 18th, 2001, 12:10 AM
joe

I'd agree that Hollywood Blvd is not a great choice for a solo traveler.

A few miles from the airport, the Best Western Jamaica Bay in Marina Del Rey is very nice, but probably around $135. If it's a weekend, the airport hotels are very inexpensive and you could get a good rate at the Westin or the Sheraton or the Hilton or the Marriot.

If you have a car, Holiday Inn Brentwood Bel Air is a great location just of the freeway, about 12 minutes from the airport. Easy drive to UCLA and Beverly Hills.

Aug 20th, 2001, 12:15 PM
paula

Try the Furama (shuttle from the airport) reasonable and nice accomodations. There are several options or dining within walking distance - Italian, Chinese, pizza and more - plus Pepe's - great for breakfast, lunch or dinner!! Also the Four Points Sheraton on Airport Blvd. This is a little more expensive, but nice as well.