Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Los Angeles (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/los-angeles-680737/)

Traveller16 Feb 17th, 2007 08:13 PM

Los Angeles

Any Advice on a nive but reasonable hotel in LA for 1 night stopvoer. Also want to do full day tour in LA - what do you recommend, limited time. Where is the best place to stay that is reasonable that will us that little taste of LA?? (August)

suze Feb 18th, 2007 08:02 AM

You might want to figure out what day tour you are taking, and stay somewhere convenient to where that originates, with such short time.

Farmer's Daughter is a kooky hotel that gets good reviews in the Fairfax district which is pretty central to downtown and the sights.

Santa Monica while more removed (at the beach) from downtown is a nice place to stay with a range of hotel price options.

Will you have a rental car?

NEHolmes Feb 23rd, 2007 06:31 PM

I have been to LA several times and I would recommend deciding on one LA experience you would like to have. It is a really big city with a lot of traffic and you really need a vehicle to get around.

If you want to do the Hollywood thing there is a Motel 6 just off hollywood boulevard that is very close to many sites. I have stayed at this hotel, it was nothing special but it was clean, convenient and reasonable for LA. There is a Best Western on Franklin Ave in Hollywood. I have never stayed there but it does have a great cafe that I have eaten at and it has some great history. It is also right by the 101 freeway.

tracys2cents Feb 24th, 2007 06:48 AM

How do you do a full day tour with a one night stopover? What time do you arrive? You can't check into your hotel until 2 or 3pm probably. No full-day tour after that. What time do you leave the next day? If you leave in the evening, then yes you have a full day but you need a hotel that will watch your bags after the 11am checkout time and probably a hotel that has tour pickup and dropoff for you.

mlgb Feb 24th, 2007 07:54 AM

Maybe the Hollywood Renaissance? I believe there is a tour office right in that complex so I would think it would be easy to juggle hotel and tour.

I'm assuming that you are a first time visitor and want to see all the usual Hollywood things. But might be a different recommendation if you give more information.

August can be very hot and smoggy so I would recommend the beach except you are far away from the usual tour routes and dont have much time. Hopefully your bus will be air conditioned.

citrustchr Feb 24th, 2007 08:47 AM

You also might try one of the hotels around the airport (most major chains are represented) and see if their concierge can help out with scheduling the tour.

Traveller16 Feb 26th, 2007 01:53 AM

We arrive in the late afternoon and will check into a hotel then, and don't leave LA until 11.30pm the next day - so the full day tour will be done the day of departure, and yes, whatever hotel we book we will check first that they will hold our bags while we are out on tour for the day and having dinner that night before heading to the airport. We will not have a car - we are in LA for one night and then doing a full day tour, there will be no need to drive (Redline, starline, grays - they all seem to do tours of LA and then you can tack on movie star homes by combining two tours in the one day)

Also, anyone know of anyone who hire (airport transfer or tour) out a humma?

thanks