Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Los Angeles (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/los-angeles-474145/)

vasa Sep 14th, 2004 10:36 AM

Los Angeles

Hi,I will be going to LA in Nov and Im trying to bid on a hotel which is reasonable price and safe. I was thingking of Beverly Hills and Hollywood areas;but if you'll could give me a suggestion please do so. I have never been to LA and I need a hotel which has restaurants within walking distant and attraction if possible??

Patrick Sep 14th, 2004 10:46 AM

I'm guessing since you say "bid" you are talking about Priceline. There is no way to guarantee a hotel within walking distance of restaurant and attractions in LA areas, some simply aren't. I don't think Priceline is for you in this case.
If someone who has studied the bidding and knows otherwise, please speak up. But I can think of a number of hotels where having a car or always taking taxis would be an absolute necessity.

vasa Sep 14th, 2004 10:55 AM

Patrick, thanks for your information. Is public transportation pretty convenient in LA?

nytraveler Sep 14th, 2004 11:05 AM

No, public transport in LA is abysmal. Depending on where you are and where you're trying to go it may be possible but inconvenient - or simply impossible without taking a cab. Renting a car is highly recommended.

If you provide info on exactly what you want to see/do someone with detailed local knowlede may be able to suggest a reasonable hotel location - or confirm that you will need a car.

Walter_Walltotti Sep 14th, 2004 11:19 AM

The Sofitel Los Angeles is just outside Beverley Hills (Adjacent to the Beverley Centre and near to the Cedars Sinai hospital). Nice comfortable hotel (formerly known as the Ma Maison) Good 4 and 1/2 star hotel. Within walking distance of some nice restaurants, but you will need a car to get about (so what's new in LA!)

vasa Sep 14th, 2004 11:24 AM

Wow, so renting a car is a must in LA. But is it difficult to drive in LA with all that traffic? Im from Alabama where traffic is nothing compare with LA? Also doesnt LA has subway?

Walter_Walltotti Sep 14th, 2004 11:41 AM

I've been to LA a few times - the last 2 times I used a car and found it a lot easier to get about. However the times before I didn't have a car I managed. Check out where you want to go and then work out the distances between.

For example, Beverly Hills is about 15 mins drive from Hollywood, BH is then another 15 minutes or so from Santa Monica. Universal Studios is about an hour away from Disney etc. I didn't find the traffic too bad, just a bit of a scary moment on the way back to the airport when I missed the turning for the airport from the freeway and ended up driving to the airport via south central LA which I wasn't expecting. Coming from the UK, I wasn't used to the lack of notice of junctions up ahead.

rjw_lgb_ca Sep 14th, 2004 11:47 AM

LA has a light rail system with limited subterranean lines. People who use it are generally connecting to bus service offered by the municipalities involved. For Beverly Hills, Hollywood and West Hollywood that is the LA MTA (www.mta.net). Getting anywhere isn't the issue; it's the time involved and the relative hassle.

Driving isn't awful, in that roads are quite clearly marked (even the freeways-- I've never, ever had a problem with unmarked or undermarked connectors or off-ramps). Traffic can be horrific, and drivers less than pleasant (although the worst are drivers whose cars carry out-of-state plates, sorry to say), but it's not impossible. It can be difficult to grasp the immensity of the LA metro area when you're from out of the area (believe me, I know), but you have to accept the fact that to get around quickly, you'll need a car.

Walter_Walltotti Sep 14th, 2004 11:54 AM

Yes, the signs may not be particularly bad in LA - just not used to 6 lane highways. Had to get across from the carshare lane in heavy traffic to the feeder lane in about 500 yards - I found it impossible.

vasa Sep 14th, 2004 11:56 AM

Thanks you'll. All these info has been a great help. I appreciated it. I am going to plan where I want to go and see. I dont have much time spent in LA just 2 and half days but I would like to see the most of it within these short time.

paige Sep 14th, 2004 12:00 PM

I was in LA in August with my daughter's dance studio. We had appx. 40 people in seven mini-vans. I was asked to drive one. (we are from Okla.) I didn't mind, I've driven plenty in Dallas and Atlanta and if you can do that, you can do LA. It was difficult to try to "follow" six mini-vans in that traffic. I found it best to look at a map before we started out so I would know where I was going and the exit to look for. The exits were well marked miles ahead of time - I never had a problem getting over to the exit lane in time. We stayed at the Sheraton Universal Studios and drove to Hollywood for dance classes everyday. It wasn't a bad drive at all. We went to Beverly Hills, Venice Beach and Santa Monica. The worst drive was from Santa Moncia back to Hollywood late in the afternoon. The traffic on I-10 was s-l-o-w!

rjw_lgb_ca Sep 14th, 2004 12:32 PM

paige, too bad locals didn't point you in the direction of the surface streets to get you from Santa Monica to Universal City (Olympic to La Brea to Hollywood to Cahuenga is one possible route)-- much faster during rush hour! Oh well, you have to experience it at least once. One Friday afternoon, it took me 2 1/2 hours to get from my office in Santa Monica to East LA on the I-10 (on my way to Palm Springs). Not fun.

hsv Sep 14th, 2004 12:37 PM

Being from out of state (out of country, in fact), I, of course, agree about the absolute necessity of having a car in L.A..
I don't think that I have contributed to rjw's portrayed picture of out of state visitors causing traffic jams ;-). In fact I have found driving in L.A. very easy, once you have developped an idea of the geographical layout of the area. In order to avoid traffic jams, which for some reason seem to appear predominantely on Freeways, I would suggest to stay on the big boulevards (such as Sunset, Wilshire, Santa Monica, Foothill etc.) for driving across town during rush hour.
Actually I enjoy the freedom L.A. offers every time I visit and driving around on your own is an integral part of that freedom. So try to be positive about the opportunity to drive about town and enjoy your visit!
hsv

hsv Sep 14th, 2004 12:40 PM

rjw,

you beat me with the suggestion to stay away from freeways. But you're the expert anyway and therefore deserve more credibility...

clarkgriswold Sep 14th, 2004 01:05 PM

Paige sounds like a good candidate for The Amazing Race. Sign her up!

rjw_lgb_ca Sep 14th, 2004 01:16 PM

Now hsv, I didn't say out-of-towners cause the traffic jams, I said that the out-of-state cars seem to have the nastier drivers. Very different. The people causing the traffic jams tend to be driving white rental cars. Quite slowly. On every road I want to drive on. GET OUTTA THE WAY!!!!! AAAAGGGGGHHH!!!

Whoops-- cracked there a bit. Time for decaf...!

BeachBoi Sep 14th, 2004 01:24 PM

I will agree that our traffic in LA is a little cumbersome.But I must also say that every time I get home from Dallas, I love getting on the freeways....no more suzy soccer moms in the RX300's and Billy Joes in the F-150's....OMG they can best be described as "comatose".....:D...just my opine for the day

rjw_lgb_ca Sep 14th, 2004 01:32 PM

BeachBoi, I don't think you understand the Texas mindset vis-à-vis the highway system. It's simple:

-- Get in that left lane and assume a comfortable, relaxed speed. Your taxes pay for that lane, Cletus, enjoy it!

-- If you come onto Cletus loping at said relaxed speed in YOUR lane (hey, your taxes pay for that lane too!), flash your lights, pass on the right and wave a friendly "hello you old putz" wave with an insincere smile. You may have to get on the shoulder for this (Highway 90-- Texans and Louisianians will know what I'm talking about), but that's just fine. Just stay out of the culvert ditch.

Sound familiar...?

BeachBoi Sep 14th, 2004 01:36 PM

rjw....Actually I did see Cletus and Lullah Belle Saturday night at the 7-11....They were quite civil..I was trying to buy a lottery ticket not knowing the proper name (Lotto)...So Cletus turns to Lullah Belle and correctly opined that I was from Califor-nay-a.....Reason?I was wearing sandals and Texas boys just dont do that!! I told Cletus my boots were "in the shop"....got meoff the hook!! But yes you are so correct....

garyt22 Sep 14th, 2004 07:52 PM

Bid on something in Santa Monica... you will be near the ocean...Venice is cool and there is much to do nearby and you can also take a city tour through a company like GrayLine... there are several properties in Santa Monica and there should be room for you!