COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking to travel mid March to California. Any suggestions for the warmest part of CA? Something very scenic and romantic.

Looking to travel mid March to California. Any suggestions for the warmest part of CA? Something very scenic and romantic.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:06 AM
question

My husband and I want to go away in late March for a vacation. Any suggestions on a beautiful part of California in late March that will be warm enough to swim in the pool. We are aware the ocean will be way too COLD!

Thanks

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:16 AM
Marj

Drive scenic route 1 along the coast. The views are spectacular.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:24 AM
Sarah

I don't know if you are driving or flying but in March you can go to Hawaii for $550 from the east coast.

Just thought I would throw that in there if you were open. If you don't want the added expense of air fare I would head to Southern California. Lahoia (sp) near Sand Diego is very nice and you can day trip into Mexico.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:45 AM
question

We are actually flying from Detroit. We are not considering Hawaii because we are only planning on staying apx 5 days. Hawaii will be next year.

We are looking for a mini vacation. We've never been to CA, but are hoping to find a part of CA that is warm enough.

I know on weather.com the avg temperature fluctuates apx 40 degrees in any given day in March.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:26 AM
J Correa

I think San Diego would be the warmest area in California that time of year. Coming from Detroit, you might bake - LOL. You may get lucky and get really nice weather in the 70s even 80s, but it will probably be in the 60s. Southern California doesn't get nearly as much rain as Northern California so you will probably get clear skies while you are there. La Jolla is the area Sarah was refering to, which is an upscale area near San Diego.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:52 AM
Pam

What about Palm Springs?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:18 AM
x

definitly, palm springs. it's great in march and you should definitly be able to do days at the pool. if you golf, you could do that one day (although it is expensive), there is a tram up the mountain, joshua tree national park is just a short ride away and worth a visit. san diego is only 2 1/4 hours away. there are at least 3 different ways to get there so you can take a different way each way. i've done day trips between the two cities. if you don't mind driving, it's a pleasant day. go hang out at the beach, visit la jolla or go to sea world.
yes, palm springs would be great.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:19 AM
Emily

I live in San Diego and we go to Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage every March to warm up! It is usually 80 and sunny everyday by mid to late March in PS, and anywhere from 60-75 in SD then. I would visit both towns. SD for some sightseeing, then PS for some pool time and relaxing. Maybe you can fly into SD and out of PS??

Have a great vacation!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:29 AM
x

You might also consider the Ritz-Carlton at Laguna Niguel. Beautiful setting; and when I've been there in March, it's warm enough to enjoy the pool -- that is if it's not raining.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:28 AM
sandy

San Diego is real nice too

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:09 PM
David

San Diego, LA, and Palm Springs all fit the bill.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:39 PM
x

Are the flowers in bloom in Carlsbad by then?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:49 PM
Alan

Palm Springs is the place. Fly into LA or Las Vegas and drive if it will save you a bundle.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:17 PM
John

Palm Springs will definitely do the job. It can get pricey, of course.

If you want something a bit more exotic, you might consider the Furnace Creek Inn in... Death Valley. Amazing scenery, plenty warm, lots of interesting things to do during the days. Easy to get to from Las Vegas. http://www.furnacecreekresort.com

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:32 PM
Emily

I don't think the CArlsbad flowers bloom until April, maybe late MArch. They have a website - http://www.carlsbad.ca.us/flowers.html

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:26 AM

You might be safe in San Diego in terms of weather. But then again, it is still considered winter temps & it can range anywhere from 60 to 80 degrees
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:39 AM

it could be cool but any hotel with a jacuzzi should heat things up...why not try Ventura? Rent some bikes and slowly make you way up the bike path that leads to an almost always deserted beach by the railroad tracks. Cozy up under a blanket and watch the cavorting porpoises that often are seen close to shore that time of year. Afterwards stroll the antique stores along main street and buy each other a small trinket.
if its too cold...then drive to palm springs.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:06 AM
GoTravel

If you want hot, go to Palm Springs. I was there last March and one day the temp hit 102! It was hot and the only thing I did was veg by the pool. The Desert Springs Marriott is gorgeous. It is pricey but people have been getting it on priceline.

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:30 AM

Del Mar. Fly into San Diego and it's about a half-hour drive north.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:33 AM

San Diego or LA would be the best in terms of warm weather nad scenic coastline. YOu can also do a daytrip to Tijuana, Mexico from SD. The best way to get there is with the trolley. Balboa Park, Coronado Island, and La Jolla are all woth a visit. LA is about a 2.5 hour drive north of San Diego if you also were interested in visiting there as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO