Looking to fill 3 days from Key West to Tampa

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Looking to fill 3 days from Key West to Tampa

Anybody got any ideas on whatI can do when travelling from Key West up to the Tampa area, I have 3 days to fill.

So whether they are adventurous, romantic or just plain relaxing, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:56 PM

Take a fan boat swamp tour ride anywhere along Alligator Alley. Stop at Sanibel Island to collect seashells. Go shopping in Miami.

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:02 PM

You might want to take a detour to Everglades City and take one of those airboat rides (the boats with the huge fans on the back). Or you could head up the eastern coast, go to Orlando and visit one (or more) of the many attractions there. It would be a very full day's drive to Orlando, but then just a couple of hours over to Tampa. Here is the web site of the Orlando Convention & Visitors Bureau:

http://www.orlandoinfo.com/microsite...ies_splash.cfm
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:45 PM

If I were you, I'd stop in Naples and spend one night. Walk around the pleasant downtown. Go to Corkscrew Swamp for a terrific day trip. Stay at some place Patrick recommends (he knows).

Then I'd head to Sarasota, stay at Lido Key so I could walk to St. Armands Circle. I'd take the tour of the Ringling Mansion, and also go to the Ringling Museum to see the art (this is Ruebens-type and other way too serious artists for my taste so I'd not stay too long). And I'd cruise over to the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens and stroll and check out the interesting plants. The beach on Lido Key is wonderful.

Before heading over the Sunshine Skyway bridge, I'd stop at the High End outlet mall in Ellenton. If I have time I would stop at the nearby Gamble Mansion to see the remarkable old sugar plantation home (there are tours).

I'd go to St. Petersburg and stay downtown at the Vinoy Hotel. If it's Friday, I'd be very happy because they have lots going on downtown on Fridays with free music and beer vendors. I'd also take in Bay Walk. Lots of restaurants to choose from in the area. The Salvador Dali museum is well worth a day trip.

I'd stay overnight at my beach house on Sunset Beach if I could only get the current tenants to leave (they are like stale fish but multiplied by many months now).

That's what I'd do if I were you, holster.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 08:18 AM

I agree about taking the airboats! Also, if you're going to be in that area--visiting tampa/st pete area/miami/keywest the Go Miami Card and Go Orlando Card http://www.gocardusa.com includes attractions along that area. You could do a dolphin speed thriller ride which is really fun. Or while in Miami area you could do a sunset cruise. Many possibilities!
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:19 AM

a side trip to Sanibel...or Little Gasparilla Island...maybe Pine Island,Edison's Home in Ft Myers...Venice is beautiful..try Sharkey's Pier(great pina coladas),Nokokis Beach,Casparian Beach...go to Snook Haven along the river in Venice..maybe Anna Maria Island...
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:32 AM

sorry it is Nokomis Beach(a typo).....Snook Haven is at the intersection of River rd and Venice Rd,down a dirt road /worth the trip..sometimes they have banjo bands and sometimes reservations are needed.--maybe try Warm Mineral Springs in North Point..I loved it..
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 04:05 PM

WMS is in North Port...sorry
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 04:10 PM

I'd hang in Islamorada for the 3 days. Read, relax, snorkel, maybe fish, eat and drink and just enjoy a tropical vacation. It's my "Carribean getaway" without the flight.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:57 AM

If you like nature and birding, definitely see Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, outside of Naples. There is massive development going on around it, and it is an oasis that will not be the same in a few years.

Also, the Myakka River State Park is "off the beaten path" near Sarasota. Nice place to canoe, or kayak, or walk/hike. Lots of gators to see too.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Sanibel Island is absolutely gorgeous and a wonderful place for any wedding or vacation - it's great for sea-shell collecting, especially after a big storm ! But bring your sunscreen and don't stay out in the sun too long if you are not used to it- I had sun poisoning from only 6 hours walking on the beach. I looked like a lobster - and felt like one too !

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:24 AM

What time of the year are you traveling?? The Everglades are beautiful but would be careful of mosquitoes up until November. However on the way back to Miami stop and have lunch at Morada Bay in Islamorada-Mile Marker 80 bayside. If you want to check out the Everglades,there is a Ranger led 15 mile tram ride at the North end of Everglades Nat'l Park. In order to get there, you get on the turnpike in Homestead and exit at SW 8 St,.(Tamiami Trail) and head west. The entrance is approx. 20 miles from turnpike. THere are also Airboat rides offered close by. Tamiami Trail continues west to Naples if you want to see some of the other sights posted. Just remember you will need mosquito repellent until November.. Enjoy...
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:41 AM
GoTravel

Since the post is almost a year old, I'd bet the OP went on their trip already.

Good additional suggestions however!