Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for travel suggestions in upstate NY or VT for late Feb with baby

Search
View Poll Results: Lake Placid, Catskills, or Burlington with baby in late Feb?
Lake Placid
0%
Catskills
0%
Burlington
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

My husband and I are overdue for a vacation, and I also have some credit card points that are expiring at the end of Feb, so we were thinking of traveling president's day week. It looks like we have points for about a 3-night stay, but since we're tied to the Marriott/SPG chain, we are tied to a few different options. Right now our options seem to be Lake Placid, NY or Catskills, NY (this last one is not upstate, I know) or Burlington, VT area (although this last option would mean quite a drive with a baby).

The problem is that I'm not sure what there is to do in these areas, particularly in NY, when we have a will-be 8-month-old in tow (so a good number of outdoor winter activities are off limits). I don't mind being outside, but our options are limited to what we can safely do with an infant in a carrier or in a stroller. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or experiences to share? I don't want to go somewhere and then have to stay in our hotel the whole time we're there.

Thanks in advance!!
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 12:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Where are you coming from and do you expect to rent a car (or SUV)? Between now and Presidents Day, there will probably be another big snowstorm of more than a foot in many parts of Upstate NY. VT may be worse if it is a Nor'easter. Being stuck in the snow with a baby in a car seat is not much fun (been there/done that).
You might be able to find a Maple Syrup/sugar making operation that will let you watch the process in either upstate or in Vermont.
If you have never seen Niagara Falls you could fly to Buffalo and maybe take a taxi or bus to Niagara Falls NY. If your child was older, I would suggest the Strong Museum of Toys in Rochester.
The other museum in Rochester is the George Eastman house on East Avenue.
If the main roads are closed or slow going, there are usually several trains per day going east from Buffalo (Depew).
Another great museum in Upstate NY is the Corning Museum of Glass. I wish you luck traveling with a less than 1 year old.
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 04:22 PM
J62

Late Feb both Catskills & Lake Placid will be fully focused on winter/outdoor activities. Being outside, even just to stroll a town when it's 20's or below is not enjoyable unless you are really into it. I know, I live upstate NY.... We bundle up and get out for a walk every day, or go snowshoeing / xc skiing when there is fresh snowfall. If that's not your thing then both those area are best avoided until the weather is warmer.

I can't speak for Burlington, but at least it's a larger town.

As for driving, it's not like N'Easters suddenly pop up with no notice so the thought of getting stuck is simply alarmist. Even the last storm of a week ago, where we had 12-18" snow all major roads were passable the entire storm, and were clear and dry within 12hrs of the end of the snow. The road crews here know how to handle snow.
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 06:54 PM

I would bring the baby with you, sometimes they are hard to get during the winter.
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 02:27 AM

Babies love to be outside, bundled up in a stroller. They also love to sleep in the car seat on a long trip.
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 04:17 AM

I have not been to the Burlington or Norwich VT winter farmers markets but love the summer one in Norwich. Both winter markets are 2/23 not presidents weekend. There's usually live music and a festive atmosphere at winter markets. OK I like the free samples, too. When we traveled with a little one it was best to have main meal at lunch time and keep dinner simple, short and easy. It's too early for maple syrup but you can check out other places. In NH some of the breweries have free tours on weekends, probably some in VT do, too. Check out places with wine tastings. Stroll Church Street. There's probably some place where sledding is taking place. Even if flying you can buy a cheap plastic sled and take baby for a few rides on an easy hill.
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 06:34 AM

If you're not skiing, there's not a heck of a lot to do in the Catskills or Lake Placid in the dead of winter, especially with a baby. Burlington has a lot to offer and it's beautiful, but a very long drive in winter. Have you considerd the Berkshire's of Mass? There are lots of nice towns to explore in this part of New England - Willamstown is one of the prettiest college towns anywhere, and home of the great art museum, the Clarke. I would think there is a Marriot in the area. Saratoga Springs NY would be another good option.
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 06:51 AM

Burlington has a science/nature center that the baby might like. There are animal and nature shows during the days.
https://www.echovermont.org/

There is a good library downtown with some kids programming on weekends. I am not sure whether they have toys as well as books.

Vermont has a magazine with kids activities listed that you could check out closer to the date
https://www.kidsvt.com/vermont/Home

St Albans, north of Burlington, has a winter festival that weekend. Shelburne Farms to the south has sleigh rides.
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 07:56 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Burlington is easier to get to than Lake Placid with an interstate passing by.
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 01:54 PM

That's for sure, I'd go to Burlington. I don't even understand why you'd even consider the others. I've never been to Catskills, though. If you want to go to a frigid lake, go to one without skiing, at least. Are you aware of how much hotel prices go up that weekend around ski resorts. They about double in some places I've been checking around Stowe, for example. So if you have to go that weekend, go to some place that isn't a holiday destination, Burlington should work for that.
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 12:45 AM

The Clark is open Tu-Su this time of year. The Williams College Museum of Art is also open, Th-Tu, and is very good as well.

You could also visit the Norman Rockwell Museum, which is in Stockbridge and open daily.
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 02:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
A good way to tow an 8-month old is in a sled. Millions of parents do it every winter.
Buy one for the kid, buy or rent some snowshoes and enjoy the outdoors.

Baby Glider- Cross country skiing- child sled - Baby pulka