Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for the best Mexican in Phoenix, Portland, and Crescent City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-the-best-mexican-in-phoenix-portland-and-crescent-city-677062/)

paul3mac Feb 5th, 2007 03:37 PM

Looking for the best Mexican in Phoenix, Portland, and Crescent City

I'm looking for the best Mexican restaurant in Phoenix (lonnnggg layover), Portland, OR (will be there 2 nights) and Crescent City, CA (final destination down the Oregon coast)

Though we are not of Mexican decent, we do consider ourselves aficionados. There are a few places around where we live that all have the same menu. We've been to Mexican restaurants in other cities that also have this same [basic] menu. These places are usually good [some better than others due to minor subtleties/atmosphere/etc.], but nothing great. Usually it seems you find these places in suburban strip malls. In fact there is one in a strip mall very close to our house that we patronize very often. We enjoy the food and the atmosphere, but if someone were to ask for the best Mexican restaurant in the area, I definitely wouldn't send them there. So that's not what I'm looking for.
Then there are the places that are in another league. Not necessarily by price per say, but by quality and creativity of the menu. They may still have your standard tacos, burritos, and enchiladas on the menu, but they are not like every other place in town. Something sets them off different the rest. If you know of a place that fits the description of the latter one of these places, please let me know.

eurotraveller Feb 5th, 2007 07:18 PM

In Portland I highly recommend Taqueria Nueve and Esparza's. They are my favorite Mexican restaurants in town! Yummy!

steviegene Feb 6th, 2007 04:54 AM

Went to Tortilla Factory in Phoenix and it was lousy.

kswl Feb 6th, 2007 05:14 AM

La Hacienda in Scottsdale (Phoenix) is a very highly rated (AAA 4 Diamond) Mexican restaurant. I ate there a few weeks ago and it was excellent, although the chef made a special vegetarian entree for me without any cilantro (to which I am violently allergic). My food was delicious, and the other three adult diners enjoyed theirs' very much. One of our party had the special pork entree (they insist on calling it "pig," for some reason) and he loved it.

The prickly pear margaritas are excellent.

The restaurant is located on the premises of the Scottsdale Fairmont Princess resort.

USNR Feb 6th, 2007 09:36 AM

In Phoenix, Aunt Chilada's, La Parilla Suiza, and Macayo -- very good Mexican restaurants.

bbqboy Feb 6th, 2007 01:42 PM

Los Dos Molinos and Carolina's: best shacks in Phx.
http://carolinasmex.com/

beachbum Feb 6th, 2007 02:59 PM

I'm not a big fan of Mexican food, but a friend who is says the best in Portland is at D.F. http://www.dfpearl.com/. My impression is that this place is more gourmet Mexican. If you're looking for great tacos, burritos, enchiladas and tamales, head to Hillsboro, 20 miles west. I agree with eurotraveller about Esparza's but I think of it more as Tex-Mex than Mexican.

I'm curious.... Why are you looking for the best Mexican in Portland, where most visitors are looking for great seafood?

giro Feb 6th, 2007 06:27 PM

I personally think that the Barrio Cafe on 16th near Thomas in Phoenix is BY FAR the best in Phx. Not the traditional cheesy-glob, rather fine dining in the heart of working class phx. An easy cab fare from the airport.
Do your homework, read some reviews and the decision will be easy (especially if you are looking for the type of place I think you are).
La Hacienda at the Princess is highly rated also. It is, however, at a resort hotel and rather glitzy and high priced...and a bit hokey...ie. tequila shots from a waitress' holster....

paul3mac Feb 7th, 2007 04:46 AM

giro: Thanks, after doing some research, I had thought Barrio Cafe looked like the best bet

beachbum: I'll be getting plenty of seafood on my trip as well, but Mexican is our other favorite cuisine, so wanted to scout out some places.

kswl Feb 7th, 2007 08:38 AM

<i>&quot;rather glitzy and high priced...and a bit hokey...ie. tequila shots from a waitress' holster....&quot;</i>

We didn't see any of that, by the way. The decor is hacienda/private home type with no &quot;glitz&quot; whatsoever. Dinner for four (before alcohol) was about $240, not bad at all, and we had a waiter who wore no holster. Perhaps they've changed decor and ambience lately?

Normaloney Feb 7th, 2007 08:41 AM

I have to second Los dos Molinos in Phoenix. Very spicy but good.

amwosu Feb 8th, 2007 05:26 AM

I'd definitely check out La Hacienda at the Fairmont Princess. In my experience it's unusual to find high end Mexican food, great atmoshpere and good service.

avidtraveler Feb 12th, 2007 06:52 PM

In portland definately try Esparza's. If you're looking for great casual authentic street food go to La Calaca Comelona on Belmont. If you're into trying nice tequila's head to DF in the Pearl District. You can get a flight of tequilas, and they let you choose which ones you want to try. Very fun.

Bisbee Feb 12th, 2007 09:57 PM

Definitely Los Dos Molinos and Carolina's in Phoenix.

Try the Ostrich or Buffalo when at Esparzas.

dmk11 Feb 13th, 2007 12:02 AM

I second the Taqueria Nueve in Portland (although I haven't been to Esparzas, now I have to try it :)).
Definitely try the tacos!!!

pdx Mar 25th, 2007 06:11 PM

This may be resurrecting a long dead thread but I want to add Nuestra Cocina to the list for Portland. Beautiful flavors of a Oaxacan menu, smells of roasted chilis without being fiery hot to taste. Try the steak and drunken beans. Nice margaritas, not the syrupy green stuff. 2135 SE Division St.

TahitiTams Mar 25th, 2007 06:26 PM

Tee Pee Tap Room in Phoenix..
old school and great Mex..love the chile relleno!
44th &amp; Indian School

kimberlym Apr 10th, 2007 10:47 AM

Los Dos Molinos in Phoenix is great.