Looking for the abolsute best small town restaurant in America

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember the good old days when going out to dinner was a special treat? Before the days of fern bars, frozen food and canned menus.

I am looking for a restaurant that reminds me of the "good old days" It might be an old fashioned supper club-- or a place with an old fashioned menu of steak, prime rib and roast beef. Or maybe--- a place that has not changed much but has been a local favorite for fifty years.

So what is your pick for the best old fashioned small town restaurant in America?
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:18 PM

Tea Steak House in Tea, SD
DH's grandparents take us there every time we visit... We loved Peter Luger's in NYC but DH thought the South Dakota beef we eat in Tea is even better!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Hickory House in Aspen. Fantastic breakfast! Awesome hash browns. Locals crowd. My son isn't a "breakfast person" but they serve ribs even at breakfast time.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:29 PM

A great supper club that has been around forever and has wonderful food is Ray Radigan's in Kenosha, WI. The duck and whitefish are outstanding. When I think of fried chicken, I think of Carriage Crossing, a Mennonite restaurant in Haven, KS. Also in KS is the Brookville Hotel but I haven't been at their new location, no longer in Brookville. Pellston, MI also had a great place for fried chicken but I can't remember the name of it. The Ishnala Supper Club near the WI Dells is another spot for duck, game, prime rib and other nostaligic foods. Its location on a wooded lake makes for great views.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Mona's and Capponi's, two Italian restaurants in Toluca, Illinois. Toluca is a very small town (population maybe around 1000)about 100 miles south of Chicago. My dad grew up in Rutland, an even smaller town a few miles away. Eating at Mona's was always one of the highlights of a trip to my grandmother's. I'm guessing Mona's has been there 50 years, give or take a few. When I was there a year ago it was still basically the same menu and as good as ever. Great homestyle Italian and wonderful fried chicken. Capponi's, just down the street, is owned by the same people (although it wasn't always).
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:48 PM

The Pine Club in Dayton, Ohio. No reservations, always a wait. Even George Bush (senior) while president had to wait!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Volpi's Ristorante in Petaluma CA.

It was an Italian deli and market
before Prohibition, known for it's excellent meat. During Prohibition
the dairy farmers would come into
town with a grocery list and head to
a little "backroom" for a "taste".

No surprise, they were the first to
sell alcohol post-Prohibition.

The deli remains and the market became a restaurant years ago. Now they serve plates of traditional, old style, Northern Italian
goodies. Everything homemade-sauce,
pasta, the best veal I have ever tasted.

The clientele on any given night will be a mix of local ranchers, city slickers and just about anyone else
all having a good time.

They do take reservations, but it's
fun to have to wait a bit....especially
in the old "backroom"!

R5
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
"Arrows" in Ogunquit, Maine.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Duarte's Tavern in Pescadero, CA - very small town, very local, family owned for generations. Their menu features local produce such as ollalieberry pie and artichoke soup. Their seafood is local and the menu changes based on what is in season and what is availible.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Ah Patrick...The Pine Club! I used to go there with my dad when I was a kid. He had a barber shop near University of Dayton and went there often.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:57 PM

I'm going to list more than one, but I'll stick to Indiana.

Stones in Millhousen, IN

Best fried chicken anywhere. You used to wash it down with draft Pabst Blue Ribbon, but they've gotten fancy since the 80's. Some yuppie beer on tap these days.

Sue's Kitchen in Muncie, IN (lunch only)

Sue's from Vietnam and married to an American. She makes some of the best Vietnamese food. She also makes a fabulous meatloaf that tastes exactly like my Mom's. My Mom grew up in Indiana not Vietnam.

Covington Beef House, Covington, IN

They still make their own strawberry preserves to put on their freshly baked yeast rolls. Great steaks and incredible chicken livers.

Story's in Greensburg, IN

A deep-fried tenderloin sandwich that is out of this world. On Thursdays they serve pan-fried chicken. Pan-fried is a whole different dish than deep-fried chicken.

Bonaparte's in Napoleon, IN

They serve prime rib on Saturday night. I've never had it then. Get there early for Sunday lunch. Until the hash runs out it's made from chunks of leftover night-before prime rib.

Hilltop Inn, Evansville, IN

The catfish fiddlers are some of the best. Never did figure out why they call fried catfish filets "fiddlers" but who cares?

Bynum's in Martinsville, IN

An excellent medium-rare sirloin for 2 that will serve 3.

I sense a theme to my post.

"Nothin' says luvin' like somethin' from the deep-fat fryer."
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:44 PM

For breakfast and lunch, the Talkeetna roadhouse in Talkeetna, Alaska.

Patrick - I agree with the Pine Club - I just wish the doctors would allow me to eat steak again.

In one of the little farm towns west of Salina Kansas (I think maybe it was in Russell) there was a hotel restaurant that served the best fried chicken I've ever had. People would come from 50 or 100 miles away just to eat there. I can't remember its name or even know if it still exists but maybe someone can help with that.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 01:47 AM

the golden lamb, historic hotel and restaurant, lebanon ohio.

also, the ice cream parlor in same town for lighter fare.

the Golden lamb's rooms are named after presidents who stayed there.

it is quite a nice place to visit even if you don't have time for a meal.

p.s. i like the idea of state lists.. the indiana list for me is great for when we drive to chicago every august. i am going to check out what is nearby to try one out! thanks!
and i can't wait to try the pine club in dayton next time i visit my folks in cincy!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 05:27 AM

The Eagles Nest on Clark Lake Michigan - the best Fish Fry around - people drive from Detroit to get there on Friday nights. Good ol 1/2 & 3/4 pound burgers - home-made daily specials everyday like Meatloaf, Beef Stroganof, Chicken N Biscuits - we can't wait in the summer to head out to the lake and eat at The Nest! The building is over 50 years old and not much has been done to it over the years - but it's good food and priced right! (HUGE beer/liquor/scotch selection)
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:16 AM

dwooddon, I believe the Kansas fried chicken place you are thinking of is the Brookville Hotel, described in my post above.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:23 AM

Patrick, Thanks for reminding me of the great memories of dinners at The Pine Club with my grandparents, while visiting them in Dayton in the summer. Always worth the wait. I still make the Pine Club dressing on my salads at home.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:58 AM

My vote goes for the Beef House in Covington, IN. I was going to mention it even before I saw it listed on another posting. Bacon-wrapped Filet is as good as anything you'll find in NYC.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 08:20 AM

lincasanova - Amazing - The Village Ice Cream Parlor in Lebanon came to mind when I read this post as well. It really is cute (dh is from Lebanon and always reminds me it was in Harper Valley PTA, which I've never even seen!). Golden Lamb is classic, but I had a not-so-great meal there on Mother's Day this year so it's not high on my list right now.

Yet another reminder that we need to make the short drive to Dayton one of these days and check out the Pine Club.

I'll add one to the list as well:

Schoolhouse Restaurnt outside of Cincinnati

Really an old colonial one room school house. You sit at a lazy susan type table (the middle turns) and order your entree (they are known for fried chicken) and then they bring out all the sides family style (mashed potatoes, cole slaw, veggies, etc). We have a tradition of going there in dh's truck on a snowy evening every winter!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 08:47 AM

Grinisa: It was, indeed, the Brookville Hotel. Thanks for remembering it. I'm sorry I missed it in your first message.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Science Hill in Shelbyville, Kentucky.

It's in the same historic building as Wakefield-Scearce Galleries.

Amazing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -