Looking for suggestions for Mother Daughter Trip for Mid-Feb

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for suggestions for a mother-daughter trip in February. We have 5-6 nights and would like a warm (or tropical) destination. We like historical hotels, boutique hotels, spas, spending time at the pool or beach, and shopping in unique shops. Would prefer not to spend over $250/night. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 08:59 PM

Where are you leaving from? It sounds like Waikiki might be perfect...the Moana Surfrider and the Royal Hawaiian are big historic hotels right on the beach, there are some great spas in some of the hotels, loads of shopping in Honolulu, and of course Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head. And you can head out of the city too to explore the quieter sides of the island. You can easily get a package deal that includes a hotel less than $250/nt.

Let us know where you're leaving from!

love
roxy
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

We'll be leaving from Nashville, TN. Hawaii sounds great but I'm afraid we would like to keep travel time to 8 hrs or less. Any other suggestions?
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 04:22 AM

What about the Florida Keys?
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 04:39 AM

My youngest daughter was married in August of last year. I decided as a last mom-daughter outing (while she was single), to take her and her older sister to New Orleans for Memorial Day week-end. It was SO much fun. We acted silly, ate at great restaurants, and saw way too much of the inside of the bars on Bourbon Street, even though not everyone was drinking.

We stayed at the far end of Bourbon St. (where it is really no longer called Bourbon St.) in a Creole cabin rental that I found on VRBO for under $100 per night for two bedrooms, living room, full kitchen, small bath and a garden with hot tub.

In NO you are within driving distance of Biloxi and there is an abundance of cultural and historical sites in NO itself. As for spending a week, I'm not sure, but for us the long week-end was perfect and we still giggle when we reminisce over some of the things we said and did.

Have fun!

DD
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 06:02 AM
TC

February is a hard guarantee for "tropical" if you stay in the US. Consider the Yucatan pennisula of Mexico. Its quite easy to get to Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, etc. from Nashville. The beaches are wonderfully warm, the water is beautiful, $250 per night is a fortune to spend, you can spend lots of time in a spa, and the shopping is a delight. My favorite would be Cozumel, but I'm partial since I spend every February there.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 06:23 AM

South Beach/Miami, Fla. or Naples Fla.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 06:45 AM

My adult daughter and I just returned from our second annual trip to Playa del Carmen. We absolutely fell in love the first time and look foreward to going again next year. Typically I like to try different destinations just because there is so much to see in the world but PDC is so perfect.
It is perfect for what you describe. There are lots of small hotels, great local restaurants and you will not have to spend anywhere near $250/night
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 06:56 AM

The Florida Keys IS a nice destination. Have you considered a cruise? It is very relaxing and generlal very affordable. I love Royal Caribbean over all the other lines.

Second choice...san diego, CA. Very nice as well, with great weather.

How about a spa in Sedona? Very nice too..Might be a bit pricier though.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 08:57 AM

Definately not New Orleans for the time frame- that is Mardi Gras time and there will be big crowds and expensive hotels. I went to Playa del Carmen, about 45 minutes south of Cancun for my honeymoon and we really enjoyed it. There are many all-inclusives if you are interested those kinds of hotels that offer 4 and 7 night stays. We stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal and we liked it alot. You can walk to the beach where they have lots of lounge chairs, they have a nice swimming area and you can walk to the town of Playa del Carmen. There are lots of Europeans that vacation there, so it is neat to hear different languages. The beaches are very pretty and they are not rough waters so you can get in and swim. Would love to go back one day!
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:20 AM
GoTravel

I agree with Key West, Naples, and Miami and would like to add Ft. Lauderdale. Terrific shopping in the Ft. Lauderdale area and a couple of new hotels opened recently.

Try these:

La Casa Del Mar

The Pillars at New River Sound

Pinapple Point (Gay friendly but not sure if all gay)

The Atlantic (brand new and not sure if open yet but it's a Starwood hotel)

Lago Mar (can't go wrong here)

Pelican Beach Resort

The Flamingo Resort (again, gay friendly but not sure if it's all gay)

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:22 AM

For historical hotel, The Menger in San Antonio fits the bill. For shopping in unique shops the river walk provides plenty to see and outdoor cafes as well. Feb. should be warm in the 70's
Air travel falls within your guidelines.

Another destination to consider is Santa Fe.

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:42 AM

If you'd lose the tropical destination theme you could go to alot of Southern destinations. How about San Antonio? It is more SW then S and its a very close destination if you are from Nashville and flying.