Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for Romantic Maine Coastal Destination... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-romantic-maine-coastal-destination-264673/)

Erica Oct 9th, 2002 10:05 AM

Looking for Romantic Maine Coastal Destination...

I am in the process of planning our honeymoon for late september/early october of 2003, and would love any recommendations on a romantic resort or inn that has OCEAN views from either the rooms or inn itself. Thanks!

Al Oct 9th, 2002 10:34 AM

Samoset Inn - Rockport, ME<BR>Tug Boat Inn - Boothbay, ME

Melissa Oct 9th, 2002 01:49 PM

Erica, there is just not anything as romantic and beautiful as Ogunquit's CLIFF HOUSE.

Liz Oct 9th, 2002 02:56 PM

I haven't stayed here, but have seen it from the mail boat on the way to Isle au Haut. It looks really interesting:<BR><BR>www.keepershouse.com<BR>

earl Oct 9th, 2002 03:06 PM

You might take a look at the website for the Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth...wonderful views and direct access to a lovely beach.

Paula Oct 10th, 2002 08:28 AM

We really enjoyed the INN at Harbor House just outside of Kennebunkport. It is right on the water and you can even sit on the pier and have cocktails. There are about 10 rooms. We had the Summer Suite which had beautiful water views. They serve wine and hors d'oeuvres in the living room in the evening and a lovely breakfast in the morning.

Carol Oct 11th, 2002 07:17 AM

The Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth or the Black Point Inn in Prouts Neck. Ix-nay on The Cliff House.

Dick Oct 11th, 2002 07:20 AM

The Cliff House is like a big motel. It's nice, but nothing romantic.

Gayle Oct 28th, 2002 05:45 AM

Try the Colony in Kennebunkport Maine. Right on the ocean. The sound of surf crashing through your window. A true 'grand dame' of a hotel. The town is romantic as well. Congratulations!

tom Oct 28th, 2002 07:24 AM

Bar Harbor Inn<BR>Inn at Sunrise Point (north of Camden)

nnn Oct 28th, 2002 09:32 AM

Camden, Maine<BR>Quaint town, hiking nearby, boats, ocean, bars, antiques , restaurants, beautiful homes and<BR> stay at the HartstoneInn.com<BR>The dining and food alone at this romantic, charming Inn is worth the price. Amazing! We went in the winter time and it was so nice!

check Oct 28th, 2002 10:09 AM

Black Point Inn at Prout's Neck outside of Portland. Don't stay in the main lodge. Stay across the lawn in a room in a separate 8-room &quot;house.&quot; Ocean from front and side windows, plus a little porch, and a common room that was pretty deserted last October.<BR>

Fiona Oct 31st, 2002 03:43 PM

I second the Colony in Kennebunkport! Great view and lovely little town.

Kim Jan 6th, 2003 12:19 PM

Hi, Erica -<BR><BR>Just saw your post, even though it was October.<BR><BR>I&quot;d recommend Oceanside Meadows Inn. <BR>oceaninn.com<BR><BR>It's so romantic, it's where we're getting married next August! Several ocean front rooms.<BR><BR>However, a word of caution-- if you're looking for fun in nature, no crowds, etc. etc. it's THE place to be. BUT, if you're looking for tons of nightlife, etc. etc., stay away. Downeast maine is pretty quiet, although absolutely gorgeous!<BR><BR>best wishes,<BR>Kim

joebob Jan 6th, 2003 12:22 PM

I don't have time to read everyone elses posts so this might be said already. <BR><BR>Go to Bar Harbor/Acadia, there are several hundred of these romantic spots and alot more as well!

pam Jan 6th, 2003 12:27 PM

We have stayed at the Keepers House and found it to be quite wonderful. It is small and somewhat rustic (environmental showers, no electricity) but the island is beautiful, the inn serves delicious food and you are surrounded by water. It is easy to get to by boat from Stonington and I think the inn has a website.