Reload this Page >

Looking for resort teens will love

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Readyforfun

We need a vacation! I'm looking for somewhere in Florida or Southeast, resort-type, with plenty of activities for two teens, 14 and 15. My husband and I are kids at heart, too. We like to have fun and spend time with the kids. No Disney, though. Been there, done that, bought too many t-shirts!
Any and all ideas considered.
Thanks!

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:45 PM
keyslover

How about Key West? It is a small town with most of the touristy things packed into one area. Lots of water activities to boot.

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Harriett

Check out Amelia Island Plantation -- 45 minutes from JAX airport, really nice (but not outrageously priced!) resort, lots of pools, free shuttle or rental golf carts to move around the resort. The nearby town of Fernandina Beach has cute shops, nice restaurants, an amazing wine selection at the Publix grocery; there's also historical interest in Fernandina, and St. Augustine would make a reasonable day trip if you wanted a change of scenery. I think the website is www.AIP.com. A word of warning: although we've stayed at several different types of accom. there, and been happy with all of them, a friend told me recently that they were not guaranteed a specific location (i.e., beachfront as opposed to lagoon or whatever) so if this is an issue with you, clarify before booking!

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:22 PM
readyforfun

Thanks for reminding me about Amelia Island. A friend told me about it awhile back. My husband was interested in seeing St. Augustine as well. Key West... I'll see what I can find down there.

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:25 PM
missy

I also vote for Key West, the old part. My kids have always loved it and it was great fun for me and my husband.

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Sue

Yep, Key West. You need at least a week on that little island. Check out The Casa Marina and the Hyatt ( best location of all hotels in Key West )

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Judy

Why not consider something active and adventurous like white water rafting in W. Virginia? I know my 2 teenage sons, 14 & 16 would probably get bored of a resort. So many of our memories as a family on vacation involve doing things that are unique, doing them for the 1st time as a family - horseback riding, travelling in Canada and camping in a tepee, biking,sliding down natural rock slides, etc. If you want a resort I would suggest you look for one in an interesting area with out of the ordinary things for them to do.

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:51 PM
ab

I wouldn't pick Key West with young teens. The Keys have lots of wonderful water sports available if you have the money to rent boats,etc..but really Key West is meant for a romantic get away, to meet gay folks or to go and get drunk and have a great time away from your neighborhood. It's wonderful but not the best place for young teens. I've worked with teenagers in mental health for over 20 years. I don't advise putting kids in this situation by choice.

I agree with the previous post, find something with good outdoor adventure, family activities, not adult stuff.

Old May 29th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Readyforfun

We're in Georgia so I'm trying to find something within driving distance or cheap flights. Truthfully, more of our vacations have been adventure/active types...Yosemite, Jackson Hole, hiking, wildlife excursions, whitewater rafting... the beach would be different for us.

Old May 29th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Judy

Are there any Club Meds in Florida? A place where there would be lots offered that would appeal to teens, things for you and your husband to do even if it just relaxing,and some things all of you can share together. Teens oftentimes really like some away time from their parents so a Club Med could have enough for them to be involved with.

Old May 29th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Jennifer

I know I am going to get blasted, but IMO, Key West is more of an adult place. Too much emphasis on adult entertainment there. Hawks Cay is a great place in the Middle Keys that has plenty of activities for kids of all ages and you will love it also.

www.hawkscay.com

Old May 29th, 2002, 02:53 PM
a

Club Med Sandpiper is in FL. It is north of West Palm Beach I think.

Old May 31st, 2002, 03:45 PM
jersey

Holiday Isle Resort in the Keys(Islamorada).It has a nice beach,watersport rentals(jet skis, wind surfing,parasailing), lots of pools,5-6 restaurants,,shops,fishing charter boats, and snorkel adventures. We recently returned with our teens. They loved it. Everything is right there. Enjoy!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 04:26 AM
lmsa_mc

My teens really liked northeast coast of Florida, especially St. Augustine. They have gone back several times.

Amelia Island area might be a good choice.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 12:34 PM
b

I agree with Jennifer..Key West and Holiday Isle are not environments I would want teenagers to be put into by choice. It's meant for lifestyles and activities that parents usually don't want their teens participating in. Why expose them and then restrict them, hopefully you won't want your kids participating. It's tough being a responsible parent. We have to give up some fun things..

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:54 PM
Jaye

WE live in Sarasota and have a 13 yr. old. I've heard good things about Hawks Cay. I would make a day trip to a guided trip for snorkeling off of Looe Key. The snorkeling rivals Hawaii and anywhere in the Carbibbean. We loved it. Make a trip to Key West. Duval St. is interesting and you could take a tour of Hemingway's house or go for the Sunset Festival. Staying there and the nightlife is adult oriented. Some great places to eat there. Go to Bahia Honda State Park for a visit, too. Enjoy!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:14 PM
Bill

Sorry people, I don't think Duval St. is that interesting especially to teenagers. Duval has become one tacky t-shirt place after the other and when the cruise ships come in, watch out, the polyster clad set will run you over. KW is an ADULT place!

I agree with the above poster on Hawks Cay, they have activities to keep kids occupied while the adults relax.....

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check out islamorada in the florida keys. there are family resorts such as cheeca lodge or hampton inn. there are so many things to do such as snorkeling on the reefs, swimming, wind surfing and many day trip options ie key west(the southern most point), ferry to ft. jefferson national monument, john pennycamp ? spelling in key largo. i agree with the other posts that key west as a base is not for teens and holiday isle is a college age scene. my cousins teens as well visit islamorada every summer and love it. enjoy and lather on the sunscreen.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 09:11 AM
wow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope it did not take "Readyforfun" 2 years to find a resort!