Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Looking for QUALITY Restaurants in Harrisonburg, Virginia area (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/looking-for-quality-restaurants-in-harrisonburg-virginia-area-232960/)

Alex Jun 20th, 2002 01:24 PM

Looking for QUALITY Restaurants in Harrisonburg, Virginia area

We've been to Harrisonburg, Virginia, several times now to visit family. We will be going again this August. We've yet to have a good meal there; possibly because our relatives are more from the "Cracker Barrel/Denney's" crowd.<BR><BR>Can anyone recommend any good, quality restaurants in this area? Any locals out there that can clue us in to the hidden gems?<BR><BR>We are open to any and all kinds of restaurants. Thanks!

david Jun 20th, 2002 03:34 PM

I have been in Harrisonburg several times for recruiting trips at the local college. There are some good restaurants outside of the usual chain suspects. Next to the Outback on University Blvd. is the Biltmore which is a semi-chain with a branch at UVA. Decent food but will get crowded with college kids after about 9 or so. There is a really nice micro brewery in downtown Harrisonburg in the Courthouse square which has excellent food. Definitely a step above the usual bar grub. If you are looking for something a little more formal try the Joshua Wilton house. You will definitely need reservations in advance, but it is one of the better meals I have had. It is also a bed and breakfast if you are looking to get away from the family. Dave's Taverna downtown near the courthouse square has good simple greek food such as gyros and pizza. Next to Daves is a seafood restaurant which I won't touch and a sandwich place called Spankys with a sandwich list probably about 50 strong. <BR><BR>Outside of that, I am afraid you might be relegated to the Applebees and Chilis.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Karen Jun 20th, 2002 03:52 PM

Oh this brings memories of visiting Bridgewater College in the '60s. Is the Bellemeade still there? I think it was a hotel with a popular restaurant attached. Used to be very special.

Bob Brown Jun 20th, 2002 05:08 PM

South of town on old US 11 there is a motel called the Village Inn. The restaurant associated with the motel is outstanding. I have eaten there more than once.

srtrav Jun 20th, 2002 06:56 PM

If you are willing to take about a 50 minute or less ride up I 81, go to the Strasburg Hotel in Strasburg for lunch or dinner. It is off rte 11 in town. Heading north get off at the rte 55 exit and turn right. Follow 55 to the stop sign, turn right, and right again at the traffic light. Then make the first left to the hotel.<BR><BR>It has become our favorite for Christmas brunch, our anniversaries, and out of town guests. Excellent food and fair prices. Enjoy.

Karen Jun 20th, 2002 07:45 PM

I wonder, Bob, if the Village Inn used to be the Bellemeade. Location is right, if I remember correctly 35 years later!

alex Jun 21st, 2002 11:49 AM

Thank you all SO much for your input. I will be printing all of your suggestions, and bringing it with us on our trip. We are REALLY looking forward to trying some of these places.<BR><BR>Thanks again for your help!

Sam Jun 21st, 2002 01:05 PM

Definately recommend Joshua Wilton house. The cafe is less formal than the dining room (when I was at Madison, the dining room was always a la carte) but the food is awesome - great service too. Menu changes monthly I believe.